• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On Franchise Sells Over 500,000 BDs, DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Eloande wrote:
Ronery Otakus will buy anything. Anything.

What do we say about teen girls?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Besides, teen girls fapping over sparkly vampires are worse than middle age men fapping over prebuscent girls?

Unless prebuscent is supposed to be some other word I've never heard of, you need to look up "prepubescent" in the dictionary, because you obviously have no idea when to use it. Now if you replace "prebuscent" with "animated high school girls" then you have a solid point to make.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Besides, teen girls fapping over sparkly vampires are worse than middle age men fapping over prebuscent girls?

Unless prebuscent is supposed to be some other word I've never heard of, you need to look up "prepubescent" in the dictionary, because you obviously have no idea when to use it. Now if you replace "prebuscent" with "animated high school girls" then you have a solid point to make.

Sorry, I'm from Peru and we speak Spanish here. I speak English but sometimes I make mistakes like confunding "prepubescent" with "prebuscent".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Say whatever you want about Twilight but at least it has a plot. Besides, teen girls fapping over sparkly vampires are worse than middle age men fapping over prebuscent girls?

It's not about plot, it's about legs.

Heheh, why you so obsessed with legs? Laughing

Besides, many hunks whom gals obsess over have hairy legs. Some gals prefer their men manly instead of metrosexually shaved legs.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
teen girls fapping over sparkly vampires are worse than middle age men fapping over prebuscent girls?

I would say people concerned about those "fapping" is more concerning.

On topic now: It's rather disappointing I have all 5 figma figures (not yet unboxed) but not a single episode of this series.

The caveat to this is knowing Bandai is releasing it. My confidence in this company no longer exists thanks to the release price of Haruhi (season 2).

I will not be surprised if the MSRP for Haruhi is surpassed by K-ON!, which has beat it in every other category to date.

Switching tracks, I saw Kyoto Animation was one of the primary producers in financing this series. With 500,000 units sold, I can only hope this ends the complaints of artist salaries from at least one studio.

It would be atrocious with such money being made if Kyoto Animation can't give its artists a very well deserved raise.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Deleted my last reply, since I think I was reading something wrong.

Anyway, yay for K-ON! selling really well. I enjoy the series a lot and really looking forward to Bandai's release. Hopefully it does decently well in R1 (glad it's getting a dub - I hope it does well enough on that front to give us one for the second series too).

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
May I just say that I am NOT one of those middle-aged guys who fapped to prepubescent girls, nor am I the leader of the mob that wants to take down "hairy-legged" sparkly vampires (though I want to be), but I am a K-ON fan and the music itself is what drove me to being one. This show was great during the first season. The 2nd though can burn in hell and get stabbed with a stake through the heart (see what I did there?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
How are those sour grapes? Sour?
I love how people keep saying how low quality this anime is, even if it's selling like radiation suits after Hiroshima.

For the record, first part I was serious. Second was sarcasm.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Eloande wrote:
Ronery Otakus will buy anything. Anything.

Kinda interesting how only K-ON and Bakemonogatari sell so bizarrely high. Kinda really debunks your statement.

EDIT: And Sonic, I actually liked the second season more than the first... once it got back to music.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The caveat to this is knowing Bandai is releasing it. My confidence in this company no longer exists thanks to the release price of Haruhi (season 2).

There is something wrong with the release price? It's just over half the price of the 2006 series when it was released to R1 DVD. I'm not sure how someone loses confidence in a company because they release a product at a reasonable price. Bandai's lost some of my confidence because they seem to have released Haruhi 2009 and Haruhi-chan with mono Japanese audio (whether due to Bandai US, Bang Zoom, or the Japanese), if these threads are to be believed, along with previous production issues, etc. The price of Haruhi 2009 is one thing that I'm perfectly fine with.

Quote:
I will not be surprised if the MSRP for Haruhi is surpassed by K-ON!, which has beat it in every other category to date.

Since it _seems_ that K-On! will be released as singles, I do expect that the price will be higher than that of Haruhi 2009. We'll just have to wait for the official solicitations to see if they stick with that idea, or go with what's become standard practice lately, I guess.

Quote:
Switching tracks, I saw Kyoto Animation was one of the primary producers in financing this series. With 500,000 units sold, I can only hope this ends the complaints of artist salaries from at least one studio.

Was Kyoto Animation specifically mentioned as short-changing their animators, or are you just presuming that they follow the industry-standard pay scale. It wouldn't surprise me if they follow the general wage scheme, but I don't know if they do. They might be getting more for their money than other companies, since their products are some of the best ones out there in production quality.
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to be one of the people buying this series. K-On! is just a really enjoyable show with cute humor. I myself am a girl and like the series because it reminded me of my own time in highschool with my own friends. It' silly to compare it to sparkly vampires Rolling Eyes Just sayin'
HAYATE!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
kaizoku00 wrote:
I can't wait to be one of the people buying this series. K-On! is just a really enjoyable show with cute humor. I myself am a girl and like the series because it reminded me of my own time in highschool with my own friends. It' silly to compare it to sparkly vampires Rolling Eyes Just sayin'

im a guy and i still enjoy this series...the sales got up that far for 2 reasons.
1.mioooooooooooo
2.azu-nyan~
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

EDIT: And Sonic, I actually liked the second season more than the first... once it got back to music.

So you mean the END of the 2nd season?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
kaizoku00 wrote:

You are not alone. K-on! has a large female fan base.
K-on! videos on Youtube are mostly watched by Females age's 13-17. If you ask me I think K-on! is a shoujo anime-manga.
K-on! is full of cuteness and female related stuff. Last time I checked Girls like cute stuff and stuff they can relate to.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
kaizoku00 wrote:

You are not alone. K-on! has a large female fan base.
K-on! videos on Youtube are mostly watched by Females age's 13-17. If you ask me I think K-on! is a shoujo anime-manga.
K-on! is full of cuteness and female related stuff. Last time I checked Girls like cute stuff and stuff they can relate to.

Well, with this coming from a guy who's three favorite shows are K-ON, Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, I can say that it's not just for girls. Remember, PPG was meant for girls but instead it brought a huge boy fanbase. I can say this is the same case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5