• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On Franchise Sells Over 500,000 BDs, DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eloande

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Eloande wrote:
Ronery Otakus will buy anything. Anything.

What do we say about teen girls?
._." Point?
Eloande

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Eloande wrote:

Kinda interesting how only K-ON and Bakemonogatari sell so bizarrely high. Kinda really debunks your statement.

EDIT: And Sonic, I actually liked the second season more than the first... once it got back to music.
Bakemonogatari was actually interesting. Stuff happened and there was a plot.

I barely survived the first few episodes of K-ON before finally listening to my rapidly degrading sense of taste and going to watch other things with actual plot. The music was pretty good though. I just have a firm belief that cute girls do not equal story.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Way to completely miss the point of that post Eloande!

There are many, many other anime that are targeted at "ronery otaku" that do not sell anywhere near the number that K-ON/Bakemono did. Why doesn't Mayoi Neko Overrun sell as much? Or Sora no Woto? That even had K-ON designs along with the music element. Or any of the numerous ecchi series (Kampfer, Needless, Ladies vs Butlers, Princess Lover, Queens Blade, etc). Surely since the "ronery otaku" will buy anything that they would buy those series as well, right? Yet I don't see their BluRays selling 30k the first week a la K-ON!!

So the point is this, in case you still aren't able to figure it out: K-ON has become a sensation in Japan, one that not only "ronery otaku" take part in. Teen girls have particularly resonated with K-ON resulting in a lot of K-ON merch being made for that demographic.
Clueless313

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
({about} Half of) This thread:
"i hat tis anime its dumd and has no plot
im gonna wyne about it al day and say how my favurit anime is beter tan this derp"

If you don't like it, whoopitty-doo-da for you, Mr. Sir.
Go watch an anime with a "real plot" instead of telling us how much K-On! sucks. Surprised
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
A plot has got nothing to do with anime being good or not. There are tons of great episodic shows out there. K-On!! wasn't bad because of its structure. It is bad because it's all just a pretty face with no underlying themes and substance.

Not that a story would hurt it, though. Here is a very simple idea of what it could have been: The band gets more serious and aims for the Budokan music event. They focus on practising music amidst their lazy school lives. There is perhaps a rival band and an internal conflict among the members of ASTT. In the end they pull it together and perform their best gig ever on the stage of Budokan. Afterwards it could end with weepy graduation business.

Instead we got: The cast is being lazy and have no motivation of doing anything. They have a couple of new songs, but feel reluctant about performing them. They like to laze around and drink tea in their club, which is possible with funds and support that they didn't deserve.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Not that a story would hurt it, though. Here is a very simple idea of what it could have been: The band gets more serious and aims for the Budokan music event. They focus on practising music amidst their lazy school lives. There is perhaps a rival band and an internal conflict among the members of ASTT. In the end they pull it together and perform their best gig ever on the stage of Budokan. Afterwards it could end with weepy graduation business.

Instead we got: The cast is being lazy and have no motivation of doing anything. They have a couple of new songs, but feel reluctant about performing them. They like to laze around and drink tea in their club, which is possible with funds and support that they didn't deserve.

Well, the girls of HTT were enjoying themselves practicing their music some of the time, and having tea/cake the rest of the time... They practice, and performed at some school events. Occasional inspiration causes them to create more music. What more is required of a school club? How much did they really spend out of school-provided club funds? It seemed that Mugi provided most of the food/drink. Did they use school money when they went to the concert? The story ideas that you mentioned seem to be fairly typical and unoriginal (almost sounds like a music version of a sports anime ^^), and I'm happy that K-On!/!! wasn't yet another series to go that way. Expecting five girls who practice after school to go to Budokan after only about 1-2 years of playing seems to be a bit optimistic. Maybe the movie will make you happy by going off in a dramatic direction, or maybe not. Will it be a post-graduation epilogue, or involve a period of time when the girls are still in high school? Maybe it'll be a three hour movie (Haruhi-ish length) showing them eating cake and drinking tea?

There were enough dramatic/serious/fan-servicey anime airing alongside K-On!/!!, and it was nice to have something relaxing to take a break with...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Eloande wrote:
egoist wrote:
Eloande wrote:

What do we say about teen girls?
._." Point?

._." Same as yours?

Quote:
I barely survived the first few episodes of K-ON

...and because of that it's a bad anime.

See? Much easier when you act objectively, right?
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the K-On franchise has sold well. I think that this is one of the most overly hated animes out there.

A couple points to that effect:

1. The idea of K-On being for pedophiles is mind-blowing to me. K-On might be the cleanest anime I've ever watched. Its second season has no, I repeat no, sexual fanservice to speak of. Not even a lone panty shot over a 26 episode run! It has virtually no sexual overtones of any sort. It doesn't even have any significant yuri hints (spoiler[there's enough there to suspect that Mugi might be a lesbian, but if so, she never acts upon it in a clear-cut way]). Yui occasionally glomping Azusa is seriously the most risque this anime gets.

2. I'll concede that many of the criticisms that K-On has received on this thread are fair ones to make of its 1st season. But its 2nd season has much more depth to it than what it's getting credit for. It's themes might be hokey, but they are there. It definitely deals seriously with the idea of time being fleeting, and friendship being important.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Darth Joker wrote:
1. The idea of K-On being for pedophiles is mind-blowing to me.

Azu-nyan's "birthday" party

Japanese otakus

No comment

The idea of anime fans who can't understand that K-on was originally aimed to pedophiles is mind-blowing to me. I thought it was common knowledge that otakus are perceived as social misfits by Japanese society. Don't forget we're talking about Japan, a different culture. Have you ever heard about lolita complex? What about enjo kosai? Japan has an obsesion with cuteness and Japanese otakus are its more hardcore fans.

Quote:
K-On might be the cleanest anime I've ever watched. Its second season has no, I repeat no, sexual fanservice to speak of. Not even a lone panty shot over a 26 episode run! It has virtually no sexual overtones of any sort.

It doesn't need it for appeal the otaku subculture. Moe is about innocence, it's about weakness. Many Japanese men are afraid of modern Japanese women. They want summisive wives who make them feel powerful. There are many ways to satisfize Japanese conservaturism, the otaku way is moe. A moe girl is always young and kind (even in her tsundere way), not like those "horrible" 3D women, and most important, PURE. Japanese otakus are obsessed with the virginity of their moe idols. for that reason K-on girls will never have boyfriends, otakus wants them foreve pure.

Quote:
It doesn't even have any significant yuri hints (spoiler[there's enough there to suspect that Mugi might be a lesbian, but if so, she never acts upon it in a clear-cut way]). Yui occasionally glomping Azusa is seriously the most risque this anime gets.

Again, K-on doesn't need it for appeal to the otaku subculture. Moe girls glomping each other is ubermoe because otakus are completely sure that it's just [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_S_(genre)]Class S[/url]. There are just "training" for the real deal, obviously a male otaku who think (insert any K-on girl here) is his waifu.

PS: I'm not saying if you like K-on, it means you're a pedo. If you like K-on, that's fine. What I'm trying to say that it's too obvius this show was aimed to hardcore otakus AKA pedophiles. Every K-on male fan around the world is a pedophile? Hell no but that doesn't change who was its target audience. I know many Japanese teen girls enjoy K-on but that wasn't planned. How many Japanese teen girls watch cartoons at 1:00 am?
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi - Well, I thank you for the info and telling imagery.

I'll admit that this is an aspect of Japanese culture that I have a hard time wrapping my head around, but I'll continue to try to understand it.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
A hull bunch of BS

You do realize you are calling Most anime fans Pedophiles for liking cute anime characters. You should not be on this site if you don't want to associate us " Pedophiles".
Annf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
stuff

Your 2nd and 3rd images are joke images, but I suppose still meaningful symbolically. Razz

Certainly any cartoon running as late-night paid-programming (as well as OVAs--there's no practical difference between the two) are aimed at otaku (though not only male ones), with occasional exceptions like the noitaminA block (has actual sponsors) or Tentai Senshi Sunred (and whoever Panty & Stocking is aimed at; I'm not sure even Gainax knows).

Using the full word "pedophile" like that can be a little confusing, since the real definition obviously doesn't apply to someone fawning over high school students. The slang abbreviated "pedo" is probably a little clearer as a synonym for the broad-meaninged "lolicon" (in its normal-person Japanese usage, not its otaku usage--the latter is limited to a lot younger targets due to the prevalence of teenage characters). "Jailbait-obsessed" would be even clearer.

One part of the late-night audience, referred to as "gentlemen" on 2ch, who buy "sexy" shows like Daimaou, Ikkitousen, Ladies vs. Butlers, Samurai Girls, etc., probably would tend to not be called pedos, due to the way the characters are drawn, even though most of those shows are about teenagers, too.

Annnd I'm getting a little off-topic now.
Anyway, what Joichiro said is basically true, but the word "pedophile" is rather inflammatory. Also, people can enjoy moe'ing over characters even if they aren't "afraid of women."
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

Using the full word "pedophile" like that can be a little confusing, since the real definition obviously doesn't apply to someone fawning over high school students.

Yeah, that's why I find the word "pedophile" hard to square with how some otakus approach shows like K-On!, and their female teenage characters.

It's a powerful obsession with cute female teenager characters, no doubt about it. But it just seems much more innocent to me than actual pedophilia.

And I have to admit that I myself often find what's called "moe" very appealing aesthetically. But I like it for the same reason that I might like a beautiful painting; it just looks nice to me.
superunature

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
There are extreme "otaku" of every show. Naruto,One Piece,Hatsune Miku,Pokemon,Bleach,Railgun,clannad etc. You name it. There are people who will buy anything and everything that comes out themed after their favorite anime. So what? They like it, they can buy it. The meaning of life is to be "happy" and if they believe spending their money on these merchandises makes them "happy" they should be able to do so without being criticized. Wether it's Otaku, antique collectors, cars collectors, painting collectors, there will ALWAY some people who think that it is a waste of money. But it is not to them.
Heck, I am going to spend $800~ on the K-on Bd just to get the tapestries, it's expensive, Will be criticized, especially by my wallet. But do I care? As long as the money as used was gained ethically (Which they are) , I think there should be no problems at all.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
superunature wrote:
There are extreme "otaku" of every show. Naruto,One Piece,Hatsune Miku,Pokemon,Bleach,Railgun,clannad etc. You name it. There are people who will buy anything and everything that comes out themed after their favorite anime. So what? They like it, they can buy it. The meaning of life is to be "happy" and if they believe spending their money on these merchandises makes them "happy" they should be able to do so without being criticized. Wether it's Otaku, antique collectors, cars collectors, painting collectors, there will ALWAY some people who think that it is a waste of money. But it is not to them.

I agree with this completely. I think for those who are keen on criticizing for whatever reason, that not even everyone who is a fan of a show will be devoted to it in ways they find distasteful. It seems some like to just point out the extreme examples and make it look like everyone who's a fan of the series is like that just like that. The generalizations anime fans make to attempt to degrade other anime fans over whatever they happen to like or dislike (whether it be dubs/subs, types of series, or whatever else) are sickening to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5