• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On Franchise Sells Over 500,000 BDs, DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit to despising K-On and all it represents, but at the same timeI suppose it is very non-productive or criticizing it for just being what it is or to judge the fans who like it...

...but at the same time I'm reminded of Maromi in Paranoia Agent who was used by Kon to darkly illustrate Japan's obsession with cute things and the country's social immaturity

...and I see these numbers and kind of wonder when the black blob will show up...
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry about a country you don't live at. That's just gonna make your hair white. But if you insist, let's take a look at Africa, or Arab countries...

On a relevant note, if that ever happens to Japan, they already got a solution: Battle Royale.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
People dislike this show(and its fame) coz it sucks, i think there's no other reason.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Don't worry about a country you don't live at. That's just gonna make your hair white. But if you insist, let's take a look at Africa, or Arab countries...

On a relevant note, if that ever happens to Japan, they already got a solution: Battle Royale.

I'm sure as heck not worrying about Japan and I'm sure as HELL not comparing Japan's little social issues to that of Africa or Saudhi Arabia.

I'm just musing, as have others over the last page or, about K-On may or may not say about otakudom, anime and maybe Japan as a whole.

I know this subject isn't really pleasant for people, but it's more or less pretty relevant
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
People dislike this show(and its fame) coz it sucks, i think there's no other reason.

If rationalizing with you people doesn't work ....

Shenl742 wrote:
I know this subject isn't really pleasant for people, but it's more or less pretty relevant

I'm not saying you're comparing them, I'm just saying you're, as you say, musing about the future of a country that's better off than half of the world.

Quote:

Rather than displeasing, I find this quite irrelevant. How exactly does a single anime represent a significant part of the medium? Let's not even talk about Japan as a whole, because out of those 500k sales there's probably 100k Japanese people involved at best (let's not forget exports). What's Japan's population again?

Last edited by egoist on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:

I don't think that this show sucks at all.

All I see the K-On haters do is make inaccurate broad generalizations and bold statements without ever getting into the specifics of why the series supposedly sucks.

A lot of people hate on K-On because it's become the "in" thing to do, much like hating on Twilight has become the "in" thing to do.

I have no opinion either way on Twilight - I've never watched the movie, or read its books. It's not something I'd normally be interested in, but that doesn't mean it sucks, period, end of story.

K-On isn't for everybody, but that doesn't mean it objectively sucks.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:

Hmm... Is that the same reason why I am uninterested in Naruto, Bleach (post-Soul Society), Prince of Tennis, and many more popular-to-many-people series? They suck? Thank you for clarifying that! If something is disliked by anyone, it "sucks"... This is like a "V8 moment"! Wow!

I'll admit to buying the K-On!! BDs as they get released. I didn't get the earlier K-On! ones, because their ¥/minute was higher than I felt the series was worth, so I'm quite happy about Bandai's announcement from a few months ago. K-On!!'s definitely not my favorite show, but it's been enjoyable enough. As far as other K-On!/!! series merchandise goes, I only own a half-dozen or so CDs. I haven't even looked at figures and other stuff that I don't need.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Darth Joker wrote:
All I see the K-On haters do is make inaccurate broad generalizations and bold statements without ever getting into the specifics of why the series supposedly sucks.

-It sells itself as a music anime, which it's not. (Hoax)
-The show sets goals that are never reached. (Incomplete or ignorant writing)
-Dialogue consists mostly of puns, which is almost like "in" humour between the characters. There aren't any meaningful dialogues to deepen the relations of the characters. (Pointless interaction)
-There were no new dimensions added to the characters. There is no sense of progress and that killed the heart-warming moments as well. (Attempt to fix failed character development with sure-fire plot devices)
-Given that it's just a casual comedy, the second season didn't need this much more episodes. (Milking the cow to death)

Plus some more personal annoyances:
-High school setting. This is so used to death by now. They should at least have the band practice elsewhere or perform gigs on some clubs or events. (Lack of creativity)
-Songs were worse than in K-On!. The op for example is hyperactive and sounds as if fast forwarded. (Shift of style)
-Does ignorance, selfishness and laziness really amount to cute? They've played together for a while so why the lack of knowledge about their hobby and seemingly low respect for others property. (Attempt to cover rudeness with stupidity)

Feel free to disagree. I just didn't find it funny.
Darth Joker wrote:

A lot of people hate on K-On because it's become the "in" thing to do, much like hating on Twilight has become the "in" thing to do.

Inaccurate, broad generalization.
Clueless313

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Uhg.
People, seriously.
Obviously, if it's selling this much, it doesn't suck to a lot of people.
End of story.

tl;dr Your opinion means nothing.

Also,
inb4longwindedexplinationofwhyitsucks/"urdumd"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Darth Joker wrote:

Silly, nobody really hates Twilight. Laughing

naninanino wrote:

-Dialogue consists mostly of puns, which is almost like "in" humour between the characters. There aren't any meaningful dialogues to deepen the relations of the characters. (Pointless interaction)
-There were no new dimensions added to the characters. There is no sense of progress and that killed the heart-warming moments as well. (Attempt to fix failed character development with sure-fire plot devices)

-Does ignorance, selfishness and laziness really amount to cute?

So you're saying it's Seinfeld, but that was popular and beloved, right? Laughing
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Darth Joker wrote:

-It sells itself as a music anime, which it's not. (Hoax)

This is one criticism that I'd largely agree with you on. I would have liked to have seen more music myself in it.

Quote:

What goals are never reached?

The goal to be popular? That obviously was reached.
The goal to show good character development? Honestly, I think that was reached. Yui, for example, becomes a bit more competent over the course of the second season, as spoiler[she studies to get good marks in school, gets accepted into the post-secondary institution of her choice, and balances school life with practicing in and performing in a non-school talent competition for an older lady that is a mother figure to Yui].

The goal to show the group developing strong camaraderie and friendship? That sure as heck was accomplished.

Quote:

There's plenty of meaningful discussions in K-On!! spoiler[We frequently see the girls talk about and contemplate their future, we see them become very tearful over the thought of their high school lives ending, we see four of them perform a beautiful heartfelt song for the other one that says loads about their friendship, we see them talk about how to help Mio get over her shyness issues, etc...]

Quote:

-There were no new dimensions added to the characters.

Sure there was new dimensions added to the characters. As it pertains to Ritsu, for example, we spoiler[see how she seriously hates being left out of the limelight due to being the drummer - something almost any actual drummer could relate to. ]

Quote:
There is no sense of progress and that killed the heart-warming moments as well. (Attempt to fix failed character development with sure-fire plot devices)

There's plenty of progress. I've already addressed Ritsu and Yui, now I'll delve into Azusa. spoiler[Azusa gradually becomes more and more like the rest of her band mates. Previously being a very serious and a little bit uptight, we see Azusa really loosen up as the anime goes on, and become more comfortable with the way that the Light Music Club does things.]

Quote:

-Given that it's just a casual comedy, the second season didn't need this much more episodes. (Milking the cow to death)

I can think of two or three episodes that never really added much, but honestly, I think that those episodes could still have been put to good use, just in different ways.

Quote:

Plus some more personal annoyances:
-High school setting. This is so used to death by now.

I agree with you here too. But, well, this is more of a criticism against anime as a whole than K-On! in particular.

Quote:
They should at least have the band practice elsewhere or perform gigs on some clubs or events. (Lack of creativity)

Well, as I said before, spoiler[we see Yui and Azusa take part as a musical duo in a talent contest put on completely outside the school or school functions. It's not much, granted, but at least it's something. We also saw the girls take in a major rock concert, which I found very cool.]

Quote:

-Songs were worse than in K-On!. The op for example is hyperactive and sounds as if fast forwarded. (Shift of style)

Ok, that might be a fair criticism.

Quote:

-Does ignorance, selfishness and laziness really amount to cute?

They're not ignorant, selfish, or lazy. Ok,spoiler[ Ritsu is genuinely selfish, but I found that added touch to her character to be a nice way of fleshing her out a bit.]

As for ignorant... spoiler[they all did perfectly well on their tests, as they all became accepted to the post-secondary institution of their choice. Good test scores, like Yui's straight As, are not reflective of ignorant or lazy people. Quite the contrary, in most cases, in fact.]

As for lazy... spoiler[Lazy people don't take the two leading roles in a school play, or take part so heavily in school activities in general. That's the sign of active, energetic people, actually.]

Quote:
They've played together for a while so why the lack of knowledge about their hobby and seemingly low respect for others property. (Attempt to cover rudeness with stupidity)

Yui is the only one who seems to lack knowledge of her hobby a bit. The rest seem plenty knowledgeable.

And so they're not perfect. Nor are those tsunderes that you've gone to great lengths defending on another thread.

Quote:

Feel free to disagree. I just didn't find it funny.

Nothing wrong with not finding it funny. Humor is like beauty - it's very subjective to personal tastes.

However, more than half of your criticisms of K-On! are off, in my opinion. Some of them I agree with, but they're not enough to ruin the anime, imo.

Quote:

Darth Joker wrote:

Inaccurate, broad generalization.

No, it's not. I said "a lot of people"; I didn't say everybody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5