• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
@Bright_Spear

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've heard that the manga and anime are quite different. The plot and characters have been changed around, so that the two products have very little in common.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:
@Bright_Spear

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've heard that the manga and anime are quite different. The plot and characters have been changed around, so that the two products have very little in common.

Yeah, I know.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Anyone know if I should buy up the King of thorn manga while its relativley cheap or will it get picked up by anyone else sometime in the future? I liked the movie and want to read the manga but it'll be like $90 to get them(in god knows what condition)

King of Thorn is an obscure title and the manga has been out of print for a long time, so I would get it, if you can find it, before it's gone for good. It's only 6 volumes too so it's relatively short for a manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if everyone forgot that Persona 2: Innocent Sin came out on PSP last year (I sure as hell forgot), but it's not terribly expensive, it's in the $20 range (or less) if you get it used (a hell of a lot less than Eternal Punishment on PSX, that's for sure). Don't know if it's because people forgot or because it was at the end of the PSP cycle, but I'm considering it now that I remembered it exists. But I need to know a few things first:
1) Are the dungeons first person view? It's why I didn't get very far in Persona 1 PSP
2) Is it more straightforward than 1? I feel like I'm wandering around aimlessly in 1, even with a game guide. While it was certainly easy to go off and do S.Links and 3 and 4, I always felt I knew which way I was headed at the same time. Granted, 3 and 4 were cut from a different cloth, and were made much later.
3) How does it compare to 1, 3, and 4? You can control everyone directly, right?
4) That intro video is awesome. This is more of a statement than a question.

See, I can only find gameplay vid of the PSX version (what is likely a fan translation on an emulator), so I don't know how much of this is true for the PSP version. And don't tell me to hold my breath for Golden, I don't have a Vita yet and will almost certainly get a 3DS first (though the 999 successor being on both systems might sway that)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
^ Theres no way I forgot about P2, I preordered it Laughing

1) Persona 2 is not in first person. Its similar to the 3rd person free-roaming of P3/P4, except your characters are 2D sprites.
2) It's slightly more straightforward than P1, but less-so than the newer games. There were afew times where I wasn't sure what to do next, but overall it does a pretty good job of letting you know whats going on, and if you get lost you can always chat up your party members who are (usually) kind enough to remind you of what your current objective is.
3) All party members can be controlled in battle like in P3P and P4. The actual battle system works much like P1, with a few tweaks. While outside battle its more in line with P3/P4, with 3rd person map navigation, as mentioned in #1.
4) I gotta say, while I like the intro animation, I'm not a big fan of that odd-sounding rap song. It just didn't grab me in the way that alot of other Persona music did.

Its was a fun game, and the rumor system was interesting, but its really starting to show its age, and the mostly bland invironments aren't very interesting to look at for extended periods of time. Also, random encounters Evil or Very Mad. While I personally prefer the modern Persona games, P2 is still an entertaining relic of the 90's thats worth checking out.
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Persona 2 is mostly for completists. The game sprites are pretty ugly and the controls/game play is nowhere near as smooth as 3. The graphics in general are nothing to write home about, but that's probably more to do with the original version than the port.

As for being straightforward, it is mostly, but can be annoying at times. If you have to backtrack, chase down rumors, or miss items things can get frustrating.
rubedo11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Seriously considering pre-ordering Serial Experiments Lain from Rightstuf. Any recommendations for good series that aren't likely to be converted to Blu Ray? I dont have a blu ray player yet so I'm trying to avoid things like the FMA Brotherhood sale on Amazon right now.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
ANIME LIST REDUX--DUX--DUX--DUX--DUX... Dang, my NISA collection at least doubled since the last I posted this list!

Priority of Purchases for 2012 wrote:
  • His and Her Circumstances (Nozomi)
  • Kimi ni Todoke (NISA)
  • Martian Successor Nadesico (Nozomi)
  • Penguin Drum (Sentai)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANIME PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Purchased) (May get to if time and money allow)

Anime Eigo:
(Yawara!)
(Kimagure Orange Road)

------

Aniplex of America:
(Puella Magi Madoka Magica LE)
(Baccano!, Durarara!!, Gurren Lagann movie 1, Gurren Lagann movie 2, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)

------

Bandai Entertainment:
1. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Toward the Terra
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

(Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, The Big O, The Big O II, Crest of the Stars, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Fantastic Children, Flag, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gurren Lagann, Infinite Ryvius, Outlaw Star, Planetes, Scrapped Princess)
(.hack//sign, 5cm/Sec, Argento Soma, Eureka 7, G Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Gundam Zeta, Hayate the Combat Butler, Junkers Come Here, My-Hime, My-Otome, Ronin Warriors, Silent Mobius, Wolf's Rain)

------

Bandai Visual USA:
(Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie)
(Gunbuster, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise)

------

Buena Vista (Disney):
1. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (BD)
2. Porco Rosso
3. My Neighbor Totoro

(Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart)
(Whisper of the Heart (BD))

------

Central Park Media (U.S. Manga Corps branch):
1. Descendants of Darkness

(Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then Here and There, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, They Were 11)
(Garzey's Wing, Patlabor, Votoms)

------

Discotek Media:
1. Love Com
2. Adieu Galaxy Express 999

(Galaxy Express 999)
(DNAngel, Lupin the 3rd, Mad Bull 34, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Sea Prince and the Fire Child)

------

FUNimation:
Series:
1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Ouran High School Host Club (BD)
3. Oh! Edo Rocket
4. Kurau: Phantom Memory
5. Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate
6. Kaleido Star: New Wings
7. Romeo x Juliet
8. One Piece

Movies:
1. Eden of the East movies (BD)
2. Evangelion movies (BD)

(Baccano!, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Eden of the East (BD), Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic! TSR (BD), Haibane Renmei, Kaleido Star, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki, Slayers, Spice & Wolf S1, Spice & Wolf S2, Soul Eater (BD), Steins;Gate, Summer Wars (BD))
(B Gata H Kei, Basilisk, Blood-C, [C] - Control, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Desert Punk, El Cazador de la Bruja, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (BD), Full Metal Panic! S1 (BD), Ghost Hunt, Gungrave, Level E, Lupin III: Fujiko Mine, Michiko and Hatchin, Noir, Pretear, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (BD), Sgt. Frog, Tower of Druaga, Trigun, Utawarerumono, X TV Series, Yu Yu Hakusho (BD))

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement:
(Black Lagoon, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha A's, Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry)

------

Geneon USA (formerly Pioneer Entertainment):

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement (see above)

Geneon/Pioneer (pre-collapse):
1. Requiem from the Darkness

(3x3 Eyes, Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent)
(Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Koi Kaze, Rumiko Takahashi: Anthology, Zipang)

------

[AU] Madman Entertainment:
1. Cardcaptor Sakura

(Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Patlabor OVA & TV)

------

Manga Entertainment:
1. Redline (BD)
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG
3. Dead Leaves

(Dante's Inferno, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Noein)

------

Media Blasters:
1. Shamanic Princess
2. Fushigi Yugi
3. Shinesman
4. Phoenix
5. Iria: Zeiram the Animation

(GaoGaiGar, Figure 17, Magic Knight Rayearth S1, Magic Knight Rayearth S2, Moribito, Otogi Zoshi, Rurouni Kenshin, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Tweeny Witches, The Twelve Kingdoms)
(Blade of the Immortal, Genshiken, Giant Robo, Gokusen, Kashimashi, Magic User's Club, Mazinkaiser SKL, Moribito (BD), Squid Girl, Twelve Kingdoms (BD))

------

NISA:
1. Kimi ni Todoke - S1 part 2, S2
2. Toradora!

(Anohana, Bunny Drop, Katanagatari, Kimi ni Todoke S1 (part 1), Natsume Yuujinchou)
(House of Five Leaves, Zakuro)

------

Nozomi:
1. THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES Exclamation Anime smile (PRE-ORDERED THIS LIKE MAD, BITCHES)
2. Martian Successor Nadesico
3. His and Her Circumstances
4. Aoi Hana
5. Sound of the Sky

(Boogiepop Phantom, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Emma: A Victorian Romance 2nd Act, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Shingu, The Third)
(Aria, Dirty Pair, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano)

------

Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks (Previously A.D. Vision):

ADV Films (when company was still active):
(Full Metal Panic!)

Section 23:
1. Ghost Stories - Vol. 5
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. RahXephon
4. Blue Seed
5. Nadia, Secret of Blue Water

(Angelic Layer, Five Star Stories, Ghost Stories (Vol. 1-4), Kino's Journey, Le Chevalier de Eon)

Sentai Filmworks:
1. Penguin Drum (BD) - Part 2
2. Space Brothers
3. Another
4. Kids on the Slope (BD)
5. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
6. Utakata
7. Ghost Hound
8. From the New World

(Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, Glass Mask, Mardock Scramble: 1st Compression (BD), Orphen, Penguin Drum (Part 1), Taisho Baseball Girls)
(Angel Beats!, Blue Drop, Bodacious Space Pirates, Book of Bantorra, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hidamari Sketch, Kokoro Connect, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Night Raid 1931, No. 6, Shigofumi - Letters from the Departed, Tari Tari, Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee, tsuritama, You're Under Arrest)

------

[AU] Siren Visual:
1. Kaiba
2. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai

(Dennou Coil, Tatami Galaxy)
(Genius Party Box)

------

VIZ Media:
1. Tiger and Bunny

(Honey and Clover, Maison Ikkoku, Monster, NANA)

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 am; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Annnnd MANGA!

Priority of Purchases for 2012 wrote:
  • 20th Century Boys (VIZ)
  • A Bride's Story (Yen Press)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Yen Press)
  • Sailor Moon (Kodansha)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MANGA PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Purchased) (May get to if time and money allow) (Sold / gave away)

ADV Manga:
(Chrono Crusade)

------

CMX:
Complete:
1. Cipher
2. Astral Project

Incomplete:
1. Musashi No. 9
2. Two Flowers for the Dragon

(Emma)
(The Devil Does Exist, Madara, Moon Child, Oyayubihime Infinity, The Name of the Flower, The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, The Recipe for Gertrude, Tower of the Future)

------

Dark Horse:
1. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 11-12)
2. Cardcaptor Sakura
3. Appleseed

(3x3 Eyes (v. 3-8), Blood+, Chobits, Clover, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 1-10), Magic Knight Rayearth, Translucent)
(Bride of the Water God, Hellsing, Eden: It's an Endless World, MPD Psycho)

------

Del Ray:
1. ES Eternal Sabbath
2. Mushi-shi
3. Moyasimon

(Genshiken, Nodame Cantabile, Parasyte, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei)
(Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (v. 1-3), xxxHolic (v. 1-3))

------

DRAWN & QUARTERLY:
(Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths, Push Man & Other Stories, Red Snow, A Single Match)

------

FANTAGRAPHICS:
1. Wandering Son
2. Heart of Thomas
3. A Drunken Dream and Other Short Stories

------

FIRST SECOND:
(Color of Earth)

------

Go Comi:
1. Afterschool Nightmare
2. Her Majesty's Dog

------

Kodansha:
1. Sailor Moon (v. 3-7)
2. Attack on Titan
3. Codename: Sailor V
4. Mardock Scramble

(Sailor Moon (v. 1-2))
(Genshiken)

------

ONE PEACE:
1. Breathe Deeply
2. Ten Ken

------

PICTUREBOX:
(Garden)

------

Seven Seas:
(Girl Friends)
(Kashimashi, Laddertop, Toradora!, Voiceful)

------

TokyoPop:
1. Tramps Like Us
2. Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 2-4)
3. Immortal Rain
4. FAKE (v. 3-6)

(Banner of the Stars, Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Crest of the Stars, FAKE (v. 1-2, 7), Fruits Basket, Magic Knight Rayearth, Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 1))
(Dragon Knights, Kare Kano, Mars)
(Dragon Knights (v. 5), Girl Got Game (v. 1-5), Gorgeous Carat (v. 1), Kindaichi Case Files (v. 1-5), Marmalade Boy (v. 5-8))

------

TOP SHELF:
(AX: A Collection of Alternative Manga 1)

------

Vertical:
1. Apollo's Song
2. The Drops of God
3. To Terra...

(7 Billion Needles, The Flowers of Evil (v. 1), Sakuran, Twin Spica)
(Lychee Light Club, No Longer Human, The Flowers of Evil (v. 2-4), Velveteen & Mandala)

------

VIZ:
1. 20th Century Boys (v. 16-22)
2. Story of Saiunkoku (v. 9)
3. Love Com
4. Uzumaki (v. 2-3)
5. Afterschool Charisma
6. Kaze Hikaru (v. 3-4, 6-20)
7. Rurouni Kenshin BIG Edition

(20th Century Boys (v. 1-15), Basara, Cross Game, Kaze Hikaru (v. 1-2, 5), Maison Ikkoku (v. 10, 12-15), Monster, Please Save My Earth, Ranma 1/2 (v. 1-9), Story of Saiunkoku (v. 1-8), Uzumaki (v. 1))
(Banana Fish, Bokurano, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, House of Five Leaves, Kimi ni Todoke, Library Wars, Maison Ikkoku, Natsume's Book of Friends, Pluto, Red River, Skip Beat!, Solanin, Video Girl Ai)
(Descendants of Darkness (v. 1-4, 6-8, 10), Fushigi Yugi (v. 1-8), Ranma 1/2 (v. 12-14))

------

Yen Press:
1. A Bride's Story (v. 3-4)
2. Soul Eater (v. 2-11)
3. Higurashi: When They Cry
4. Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 4-6)
5. With the Light (v. 6-8)

(A Bride's Story (v. 1-2), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater (v. 1), Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 1-3), With the Light (v. 1-5))
(Maximum Ride, Romeo x Juliet, Spiral)

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
@willag
Anime

Dennou Coil-I saw an ebay listing for this put up like two days ago that doesn't have ridiculous shipping costs. here
Bandai
Toward the Terra, well worth it, a must get imo.
Flag is also very good, don't miss it! I enjoyed
.hack//SIGN a lot, but many find it slow. Though everyone loves the OST
Junkers, Come Here! is such a hidden gem, more people need to know about it
Silent Mobius, I got this for cheap off Go Hastings, I ended up liking it a lot more than I though I would
CPM-VOTOMs was fantastic, get it! Garzey's Wing is hilarious, only use it a free shipping bump though.
Discotek-Sea Prince and the Fire Child was really quite good, and it has the sub! Yay as the dub is pretty bad, made in the 80s when no one cared
Media Blasters-my unsung hero, glad you already own Simoun!
Shinesman is kinda only fun once, I don't think it's worth it.
Phoenix is quite good, it only adapts four stories, but it does them so well!
Magic User's Club is a bit pricey for a release from them, I preferred the OVA to the TV overall, but it's worth it.
Giant Robo is pure awesome
Nozomi-yep, they're my heroes for Versailles too!
Shingu-another series I think needs more love, even if the OST sucks
H&H Circumstance-pm me if you want to buy my set, it's the artbox w/ 5 singles. Box has shelf wear though.
Section 23/Sentai
RahXephon-I really liked this, but I find that people who adored Eva dislike it for not being Eva. It's confusing
Angel Beats!-saw this on Netflix, it's easy to watch, but I think the second half dropped the ball so hard as to not make it worth purchase
Viz
If you can seriously afford Maison Ikkoku, get it

Manga
CMX
Cipher-I really enjoy this one, even though in the first two vols, their usage of vertical lettering was frankly painful.
Name of the Flower-decent enough, but there's better CMX series to get first imo
Moon Child-I'm also selling this, pm me if interested. I dunno, I wasn't a huge fan, but the bloggers loved it
Oyayubihime Infinity-I liked this one a lot too
Tower of the Future-it's not as good as PSME by a long shot, but I still say it's worth it
Dark Horse
Bride of the Water God-borrowed the first three vols from a friend, loved the art, but the plot was pretty messy, I wouldn't rec it
Del Rey
ES, Mushishi, and Moyashimon, all great buys, get them all!
Parasyte-also get this
Fantagraphics get them both
Seven Seas
Blood Alone-wasn't a fan of vol 1-3
Vertical
To Terra, even if you get the anime, get the manga too, the entire last third is different enough to make them both worth it. But not the movie, that's not really worth it as much, sadly.
Apollo's Song-probably my least fav Tezuka manga from Vertical. Get any other Tezuka manga first (if not all of them)
Lychee Light Club-good, just hope you can stomach the violence
No Longer Human-weirrrd! still good though
Viz
Natsume's Book of Friends-I don't know why, but I think it works so much better as an anime.
Bokurano-great stuff
Maison Ikkoku-if you can get it, get it, it's still the best romcom ever
Afterschool Charisma-an interesting premise that's quick to read, I'd rec it

As for me, Towanoquon is in the T-2 sale, and I like how the art on the cover looks like a 70s shojo. But is it worth it? I could buy a few more manga that I know I want instead if it's not, but damn is that art irresistible to me.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Dennou Coil-I saw an ebay listing for this put up like two days ago that doesn't have ridiculous shipping costs. here

OMG, thank you so much! I think I'm definitely going to have to jump on that even if it takes away from Right Stuf holiday purchases.

classicalzawa wrote:
Toward the Terra, well worth it, a must get imo.

Yes, I have already seen it. Now I just need to buy it. I was hoping that it might pop up during the holiday sales this year.

classicalzawa wrote:
Flag is also very good, don't miss it!

I actually have volumes 1, 3, and 4 sitting in my Amazon cart. I get money back with my Discover card, and I've currently accrued more money than the price of those three are worth. So I'll probably make a purchase soon.

classicalzawa wrote:
Media Blasters-my unsung hero, glad you already own Simoun!

Media Blasters own my first anime purchases: VHS of MKR and Rurouni Kenshin. I'm sad to see them struggling a bit as of late, and I can understand people's complaints about them, but I'll forever love 'em for providing some amazing releases (MKR, Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, RK). I try to support them when I can.

classicalzawa wrote:
Nozomi-yep, they're my heroes for Versailles too!

#1 company on my list, because of that. They were already on top with their Utena release. RoV just kinda sealed the deal. Shingu wasn't even on my radar until a few months ago when I read some people giving it much praise and saying it is a hidden gem (in fact, you might have been one of 'em). I'm willing to blind buy the series since I trust a lot of the people on here. Thank you for the HxH offer, but I think I'd rather buy from Right Stuf directly in order to support my love for 'em.

classicalzawa wrote:
RahXephon-I really liked this, but I find that people who adored Eva dislike it for not being Eva. It's confusing

I actually haven't seen the entire series of Eva and RahXephon yet. They've been stuck on that "GAWD You Call Yourself an Anime Fan But You Haven't Seen The Entirety of These Classics Yet!" list. (Cowboy Bebop only recently graduated from it last year). Anime hyper I've seen about 5-6 episodes of each and know pretty much all of their spoilers, so they ended up becoming lower priority. With the new Eva movie coming out (with hopefully more Shinji/Kaworu scenes), I think I might end up bumping these up.

classicalzawa wrote:
If you can seriously afford Maison Ikkoku, get it

I think Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road are going to become those long-term life time goals. Laughing Honestly, I've already seen the first 11 episodes of MI and I'm already a bit tired of the repeated gags, so this series doesn't have much of a priority any more. Every long series I've started by Rumiko Takahashi I haven't been able to complete because I get tired of the repetition. I'm more likely to complete the MI manga because it's shorter than the series.

classicalzawa wrote:
CMX

Thanks for the recommendations and the offers. What are your favorites that were released by CMX? I must admit that after some quick skimming through scanlations my desire for Name of the Flower and Oyayubihime Infinity dropped. Cipher is still holding strong though. I need to update my list.

classicalzawa wrote:
ES, Mushishi, and Moyashimon, all great buys, get them all!
Parasyte-also get this

Definitely! I just need more money. Especially for the OOP volumes. Laughing

classicalzawa wrote:
Vertical

YAAAAY Vertical! Sadly, I'm not a big fan of Tezuka's art style (and generally simple layout of the panels). I'm working myself up to appreciating it more. Originally, Princess Knight was going to be my first official purchase of his, but the misogyny vibes I picked up from it turned me away. We'll see what I end up trying. A lot of the premises sound cool - it's just getting beyond the style. (I borrowed MW from the library once because I was attracted to the dark twistedness of it, but the drawings made it hard to immerse myself in and take seriously).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Since I saw them on the sale that TRSI is currently having for a good price, I'm starting to consider buying the two Evangelion movies. I'm not a huge fan of Evangelion, but I can't help but think that some of my dislike for the series stems from my dislike of people gushing too much over it. So, it's not really the series fault that it makes people think it's deeper than it really is, and before I was around a lot of people who actually knew what the heck anime was I do recall enjoying the tv show, so at this point I think it wouldn't hurt to pick up the movies. Not like I'll get to watching them for another 3 years anyways.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
CMX

Thanks for the recommendations and the offers. What are your favorites that were released by CMX?

The ones I own are: Emma, Monster Collection, Tower of the Future, Cipher, Moon Child, Penguin Revolution, Land of the Blindfolded, Oyayubihime Infinity, and Name of the Flower. I've read Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (and a certain owl needs to get back to me on buying it off me), and part of Tears of a Lamb.

Tears of a Lamb, oh my...I almost never not complete a manga volume, especially if I bought it (used and for very cheap, yes, but still technically purchased). But man, I just could not stand this one for some reason. And I tried more than once.

KKJ was a bit too typical shojo for me, though I think Tanemura fans would enjoy it. I preferred Full Moon, personally. I just kinda felt like I always knew what was going to happen with KKJ, even the plot twists screamed from a mile away at me. And the hero thief stuff was too kiddy for me personally.

Tower of the Future I enjoyed quite a bit. No, it's not as good as PSME, let's just get that out of the way now, but it's still a decent series in its own right.

Monster Collection, I literally got in the mail two days ago and read the whole thing in one go. I just did a write up over in the manga forum, so lurk there if you want more info. Long story short, I loved it!

Land of the Blindfolded and Penguin Rev have the same mangaka. I liked both series, but some people find LotB boring, and I can understand why. If you don't like the characters, you won't like the story, I'd check it out with scans first. Be aware that it started off as a one shot initially though, and that it ran every two months, which is why they feel the need to tell you the basic set up every frickin' chapter.

Penguin Revolution is definitely the more energetic of the two. I've rather sworn off gender bender, it just doesn't do much for me usually, but here, I didn't really mind it. Probably because I hate it when gender bending is used for gender jokes only, here it's more used to show that the director dude is kinda nuts. I'd also check out scans first, but I can see this one being the more accessible of the two.

Name of the Flower, Japan has this thing with large age differences in couples, so the series has a bit of squick. I just don't think it's very exciting though, I don't seem to recall much of the series right now.

Moon Child is....weird. Definitely weird. It involves gender changing mermaids and this really annoying hipster guy that one of them falls for. Actually, that might be my main problem, the main couple being a hipster and someone who is mentally 8 (the mangaka slowly starts to draw him younger even until he looks 8) but can transform into a 20-something woman. And of course the guy treats him/her like dirt, but he stays with him anyway. And when he turns into a hot chick, he gets Ariel syndrome and can only speak to other mermaids. And the mermaids came from space. I'd check out scans, other people seem to like it more than I do, though I do love the art for sure.

Emma! What really needs to be said here? Having seen the anime though, I can give comparisons. Vols 8-10 are side stories so you can really get those without getting the rest of the manga provided you've seen the anime. They range from awesome to "meh". Season 1 is in vols 1 and 2, but I preferred the anime drawing it out and taking more time with it. Vols 3-7 are roughly season 2. I say roughly because there's a lot of things changed. The anime gave more time to (forget his name) tall servant with black hair and sideburns guy, but the manga has what is possibly the biggest jerk in the whole series too, and he wasn't in the anime. And man, he is just the worst to Emma and to really everybody, he's quite interesting I must say. So there's the breakdown if you've seen the anime. I personally prefer Bride's Story to the whole thing, but that's just me. Oh and I've read Shirley too, it's kinda a poor man's Emma I guess? With less awesome art?

Cipher, that's what I'm missing. This series really has two parts, a rather slow first part, and then a much more awesome but shorter second part that immediately makes you notice that the first part was kinda drawn out and not as awesome. I wouldn't count it against the series though. But then sadly the girl becomes less useful in part 2, so they have to give her something to do, like the three dolls from the end of the Bount Arc in Bleach who get random throwaway lines here and there. Despite my complaining though, I did come out enjoying it. But in the first two volumes, who the hell thought writing an entire sentence vertically was a good idea? One or two words, fine, but a whole damn sentence? It makes it difficult to read, ugh, idiots. Oh, and it got an OVA, but it's quite possibly the worse manga to OVA translation in the entire world. It has to be seen to be believed it is so bad. I've read the manga and really enjoyed it, and I can't tell you wtf is going on at all. Oh and they have Japanese people speaking English, it's just amazing that such a pile of trash even exists. Watch it because it's freakin' hilarious, but don't let it make you think the manga is junk for it, because it's really quite good.

As for Maison Ikkoku, I've only seen a small bit of the anime, but have read the entire manga. I think the humor in the manga stayed pretty fresh throughout, I feel like later Takahashi comedy has devolved into "PERVERT! *slap*" jokes (as I call them). I think part of this is that there's nothing supernatural going on here and the characters practically write their own jokes half the time. Also, there is clear plot progression, unlike Ranma 1/2 which ended with a big old nothing. Yusaku clearly goes from trying to get into college to in college, to graduated, to can't find a job, to needs to go back to college for a different degree, to finally finishing that, to finally getting a job. And seasons pass too with clear references to past events (like "this is the third year in a row she's gone to the graveyard"). And there's two young kids, they kinda disappear for a while, then you see them at the end and they've actually aged. And when Yusaku moves out and all his stuff more or less gets stolen, it takes many chapters of him paying back the manager for that incident, so things actually come up more than once. And man, the romance can just be so damn painful it hurts to read. It actually knows when to play it straight. So I would recommend the manga for sure, I still think it's the very best romcom out there, certainly the best I've encountered. It was an early manga for me, and my favorite for years until Banana Fish. If you want more bad ideas, here's my top 6: Banana Fish, Maison Ikkoku, Hikaru no Go, Twin Spica (which you already own, yipee!), Firefighter Daigo, and Flower of Life. And except for Hikago, they're all OOP to various degrees, so good luck, lol
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the Maison Ikkoku anime, and I think my biggest issue is that it takes two really nice steps forward in the romance, but then takes one back. One of the first things that made me roll my head was when it went through the "Kyoko should remarry" arc, and when that was done, and your emotions are on high, they have an episode about Godai taking care of an egg Yotsuya left for him. Mood killer. And while I kinda liked Kozue at first, I think her misunderstanding proclamation (spoiler["I will accept your proposal!"]) towards the end was so stupid and unnecessary. There was also the kiss debacle.

Although, I think my biggest problem with it was that I really liked Godai, and I really liked Kyoko, but the world was against them. And I mean that in way that the world was ridiculously against them. I mean, I hated every tenant. They served no purpose other than to be complete a-holes and to be horrible people who purposely tried to make Godai's life hard. That arc where Godai had to work at the club and they kept going every night with no reason other than to get "free" drinks and annoy Godai and they used it blackmail him really, really made me hate them. Then Takashi tried to pull some shit where they wanted to make Akemi into some hero, which just pissed me off.

All that said, it is 96 episodes and most of them are pretty good or great. There's just a lot of Takahashi romance stuff where the wheels start spinning in place. And while I would probably never watch all of it again, I could watch the last 12 or so episodes forever.

Now I kinda feel like going through all the episodes to make my own Maison Ikkoku Kai.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a fabulous price, but if it's a stackpak I'd rather pass. Considering it's a S.A.V.E edition, it is likely it is a stackpak, but does anyone know for sure?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 84 of 132