• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
WTK wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Once again the complete collection/Anime Legends (as in the non special edition) also has the soundtrack included.

I know this because that is the version I bought and it included the soundtrack. It was not just in the special edition.

You are really leading people on here. As noted a couple posts ago, you won't get the OST unless the new copy is specially marked with a sticker on the shrinkwrap (stating that's included). Your chance is working against you on a copy without a specially marked sticker (think of the Geneon lottery releases, particularly the singles).

Not that I don't believe you but that sounds strange to randomly put the OST in some box sets and not others.

It's not like I was purposely leading people on I was going by my own experiences (I didn't see your other post). And if it is in random boxes then all it takes is to ask. TRSI especially has good customer service.

It (was) a common practice when singles were still released (particularly Geneon). It was often referred as lottery items (more associated with first run releases and not always specially marked on packaging in labels/stickers).

As for Fantastic Children, it was done in the same way. Ones with the specially marked sticker/label is suppose to have the OST. Ones without it most likely won't include it (no way to tell unless you open it). As good as TRSI's CS, I highly doubt they will be wiling to go the extra mile to inspect and/or open their new copies to see an OST is there or not.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
After the latest Media Blasters scare I started worrying about what other titles from them I might want to snatch up while I still can.

I've decided that there's nothing that I have an especially strong desire for left, but I decide that I would at least consider the Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit artbox. I got all of the singles from a Crunchyroll special for less than $20 last year, but I like the show bunches, so I might like having it in a fancier dress. I had wanted the Blu-ray version, but I've gathered that it wouldn't be worth the bother and seems extinct anyway.

The problem is then that there are several listings for Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit discs with boxes and the differences among them are opaque. The best thing would be for me to be able to buy the box alone, but I'm not surprised to see that's not an option.

As such, so far as I know, I have the following to choose from:

Moribito DVD Premium Box Set

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Jewelcase DVD Bundle (1-8 + Box)

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Two Pack DVD 1-2 + Designer Box

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Two Pack DVD 7-8 + Artbox

Which would be the best choice for me?

It feels almost weird not writing goddamned thesis in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

8 DVD-sized super jewel case housed inside a flimsy "artbox" (more like a slipcase).
Quote:

Guess what...it's same as the "premium" box set.
Quote:

Vol.1 & vol.2 (2 DVD-sized super jewel cases) with the flimsy artbox that was mentioned before.
Quote:

Vol.7 & Vol.8 (2 DVD-sized super jewel cases) with chipboard artbox (the thinner variety). The artbox still holds 8 super jewel cases total.
Quote:

Cheaper price? Stick with the TRSI bundle.

Cheaper price (depending where you get it; like secondary market sources) + space saving? Go with the STACKpak release (about 1 inch thick).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The "designer box" is a flimsy piece of shit.

The box in your last link (with Chagum) is awesome. I should know, I have it and love it.

Get the blue one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
I agree with TKoH. That's the one I own. It is seriously an awesome case.

Rightstuf was selling it separately for a while, so I ended up buying the case by itself after individually collecting the releases.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if Qwaser of Stigmata will get a complete box set and when? Even if it costs the same as the two parts, I'd rather have a complete set instead of two. I'm kinda getting tired of them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Sentai almost always* releases its half sets as complete collections at some point. The complete collections are always cheaper than buying the half sets when the half sets first come out. As to when that might happen - hard to say. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, but it's usually about a year after the last half set was released. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

*thanks to WTK for the correction.

Last edited by Blood- on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
And also usually in a STACKpack.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to WTK, The King of Harts and Willag for their advice and information on the Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit artboxes. I was pretty flummoxed when what seemed like a simple question was actually a confusing one because of the weird, and pointless, proliferation of choices.

It's weird to me that the best option is the second cheapest while the worst is the costliest, but I suppose that works to my advantage.

I wish that TRSI were still selling the box alone, but I suppose that I can bear throwing redundant copies of the last two volumes away.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sentai always releases its half sets as complete collections at some point.

I would replace always to something along the line of almost always.

Limiting to series that have two half season sets:
  • Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (released back on 8/18/09 and 9/8/09)
  • Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy (10/27/09 and 11/17/09)
  • Tytania (8/24/10 and 10/24/10)

Surrender Artist wrote:
Thanks to WTK, The King of Harts and Willag for their advice and information on the Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit artboxes. I was pretty flummoxed when what seemed like a simple question was actually a confusing one because of the weird, and pointless, proliferation of choices.

The amount of SKUs for Moribito was partially contributed by Best Buy and Wal-mart. The series were sold in select stores at one point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
@ WTK - interesting about those half set exceptions. I notice those three examples are all from Sentai's relatively early days after rising from the ashes of ADV. It's hard to imagine them not releasing the newer half sets as full collections at some point, but you have demonstrated that it's never wise to make absolute statements when it comes to anime distribution.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I discovered a $15 Best Buy rewards thingy in my email. Someone else in my house must've bought something good recently, but anyway, I have trouble letting good free money go to waste (who doesn't?)
But of course, these days, Best Buy has a limited selection of anime at best. It's better online, but I don't wanna pay shipping and stuff, so it'd have to be something they have in stores. And they have very limited selection in stores these days. Anyway, here are the things I've eyed when scouting today:
Black Lagoon- DVD/bluray combo pack. Would be $30+tax after my rewards thingy. I like pirates and action, seems like something I'd like, though I heard season 2 isn't as good as 1.
Tiger & Bunny DVD set 1-will be $15 after rewards. I watched the first few eps back when it was still airing, but can't for the life of me watch anything ongoing, but it was hard not to enjoy the concept. Though I would obviously have to get the second season at some point here.
Casshern Sins SAVE-$5 after rewards, but I've heard so many mixed things about this series that even being $5 doesn't guarantee a sale with me.

Most anything else is more than I'm willing to pay (like other Funi things with chipboard boxes), or isn't something I'm interested in. There's nothing I'm quite dying to get, but it will expire mid July. But waiting for things to come out isn't necessarily going to help because who knows if Best Buy will actually carry it in stores.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely recommend Black Lagoon. After four years of heavy duty anime watching, it's still one of my favourite titles. Revy, 4-eva!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the recommendation on Black Lagoon. It's one of my favorites. I find it a good show for people who don't watch anime. It has a great dub.

Both seasons are on the Bluray/DVD package. Both seasons have arcs that range from good to great. You would probably get some disagreement on which arcs are best as opposed to seasons.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
After the latest Media Blasters scare I started worrying about what other titles from them I might want to snatch up while I still can.

I've decided that there's nothing that I have an especially strong desire for left, but I decide that I would at least consider the Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit artbox. I got all of the singles from a Crunchyroll special for less than $20 last year, but I like the show bunches, so I might like having it in a fancier dress. I had wanted the Blu-ray version, but I've gathered that it wouldn't be worth the bother and seems extinct anyway.

The problem is then that there are several listings for Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit discs with boxes and the differences among them are opaque. The best thing would be for me to be able to buy the box alone, but I'm not surprised to see that's not an option.

As such, so far as I know, I have the following to choose from:

Moribito DVD Premium Box Set

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Jewelcase DVD Bundle (1-8 + Box)

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Two Pack DVD 1-2 + Designer Box

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Two Pack DVD 7-8 + Artbox

It feels almost weird not writing goddamned thesis in this thread.

Oh but the bluray version is totally worth owning-despite what some idiot reviewers have said the video is GORGEOUS and the dub is very good-I had the dvd stackpack and quickly dumped it when I got both bluray sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 94 of 132