• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
....... I got rid of my Gundam 00 "parts" and bought the two Anime Legends sets to replace them as part of a huge endeavor to reclaim shelf space by buying more compact version.......

You own 00 Anime Legends! Congratulations. The 2 seasons + movie now selling for almost $700 on Amazon. At that price, I want Setsuna F Seiei in flesh and blood. Embarassed

All this discussion does not change the fact that I've missed the boat for 00. My fault. I originally wanted to 7 X 2 disk set for 00 and not Anime Legends but even that is sold out in retail stores like Amazon, Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble. The available Anime Legends titles like Seed Destiny is not my favorite, I refuse to re-watch, I'm scared of Cagalli Athha. I have Seed and Wing in Anime Legends.

I will likely be forced to let 00 go for now and concentrate on improving the Universal Century collection instead.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there was ever a set that combined all 3 of those, so I'd beware of bootlegs there. Anyhow, yes, I have all 3 Gundam 00 titles along with pretty everything else in the Gundam franchise that was released in the states. The only things I missed out were Gundam IGLOO, G Gundam, and the Zeta and SEED recap movies. I also don't have Turn A Gundam yet, but I'm buying that later this week.

I have Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny but it's in singles-inside-artbox forms and takes up a ton of space. I would really like to replace it with something smaller as well if given the chance.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote

My Seed Destiny set is in Region 0 without the movie. That was acquired because I like the packaging. I refuse to sell that set for Region 1 Anime Legends. Moreover, I refuse to re-watch that series.

I threw away the Malaysia print of Double Zeta (ZZ) because I don't want to see Haman Khan die. I am reluctant to acquire MS 0079 because I don't need to see Lala die again. That episode is lodged in my mind for 35 years. The red box next to 0083 is MS 08th Team Anime Legends. I gave away my 08th Team Region 3 VCD set 5 years ago and this Region 1 set just came in last week from eBay.

Looking at the photo, Gundam Turn A fits in nicely. I'm getting that next month when Part 2 is released. I will also buy the 00 movie Awakening of the Trail Blazer. I am considering the 0079 full set for display and nostalgia or I might just acquire the 00 7 X 2 disk set. It fits in the space right after Seed Destiny!
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
I know I definitely want Railgun S because I enjoyed Railgun 1 but... that lack of blu-ray... and I'm sure that when Funi re-releases it in a complete collection next year, it'll have blu-ray. On the other hand, I can get both DVD sets for $30 (inc shipping), so, not sure if I should wait or go for it now... Since I got Railgun 1 from a certain someone on here and wasn't sure how well I'd like it, I didn't mind having it on DVD only for the time being, but I'm considering replacing that one with the blu-ray eventually too perhaps, I don't want to get S just to replace it later on. I got Index 1 recently, that has blu-ray, and Index 2 is a combo pack too, why on earth would they screw over Railgun S like that? So I can't tell if I should be patient and wait, or get an inferior version now to watch the hell out of it. With older shows (like Rose of Versailles) that weren't made in native HD, then I'm ok with DVD, but Railgun is a new show almost certainly made in HD.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
ANIME LIST

2017 Priority Purchases List wrote:
Nada right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ANIME PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Pre-orders) (Purchased) (Lower purchase priority) (Stream / rent) (Sold / gave away)

------

Anime Eigo

(Yawara!)
(Kimagure Orange Road)

------

Aniplex of America

1. Mushi-Shi -Next Passage- (3/22/14 license)

(Baccano! (BD), Kill la Kill (LE BD), Madoka Magica the Movie (CE Import BD), Madoka Magica the Movie Rebellion (CE Import BD), Puella Magi Madoka Magica (LE BD))
(Gurren Lagann (BD), Kara no Kyoukai, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)
(Mekakucity Actors, Nanana's Buried Treasure, Samurai Flamenco, Your Lie in April)

------

Bandai Entertainment

(Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, The Big O, The Big O II, Crest of the Stars, Fantastic Children, Flag, Gurren Lagann, Infinite Ryvius, Outlaw Star, Planetes, Scrapped Princess)
(Argento Soma, Hayate the Combat Butler, Junkers Come Here, My-Hime, My-Otome, Silent Mobius, Toward the Terra)
(Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)

------

Bandai Visual USA

(Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie)
(Gunbuster, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise)

------

Buena Vista (Disney)

(Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (BD), Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart (BD), Whisper of the Heart)

------

Central Park Media (U.S. Manga Corps branch)

(Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then Here and There, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, They Were 11)
(Garzey's Wing, Votoms)

------

Discotek Media (Eastern Star)

1. Adieu Galaxy Express 999
  2. Night on the Galactic Railroad

(Bokurano, Cardcaptor Sakura movie (BD), Descendants of Darkness, Earl and Fairy, Galaxy Express 999, Kyousougiga (BD), Library War, Love Com, Magic Knights Rayearth (BD))
(Demon City Shinjuku, DNAngel, FREE! Season 1, GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Lupin the 3rd, Mad Bull 34, Requiem from the Darkness, Ronin Warriors, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Sea Prince and the Fire Child, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust)

------

FUNimation

1. Maria the Virgin Witch (BD)
  2. Scrapped Princess (BD)
  3. Wolf Children (BD)
  4. Summer Wars (BD)
  5. Selector Infected WIXOSS (BD)

(Attack on Titan (LE BD), Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Blood Blockade Battlefront (LE BD), Death Parade (LE BD), Eden of the East (BD), Escaflowne (CE BD), FREE! -Eternal Summer- (PE BD), Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist (CE BD), Full Metal Panic! TSR (BD), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (CE BD), Haibane Renmei, Kaleido Star, Kamisama Kiss (PE BD), Lupin III: Fujiko Mine (LE BD), Nobunagun (BD), Noein (LE BD), Noragami (LE BD), Oh! Edo Rocket, Ping Pong (BD), Princess Jellyfish (BD), Psycho-Pass (PE BD), Shiki (LE BD), Slayers, Spice & Wolf (LE BD), Soul Eater (BD), Soul Eater (PE BD), Steins;Gate (LE BD), Summer Wars (BD), Yona of the Dawn (BD), Yuri Kuma Arashi (BD))
(Black Lagoon (BD), Ghost in the Shell: Arise (BD), Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU (BD), Kaleido Star: New Wings, Steins;Gate movie, X TV Series)
(Appleseed XIII, B Gata H Kei, Basilisk, Barakamon, [C] - Control, Chrono Crusade, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Desert Punk, Eden of the East movies, El Cazador de la Bruja, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, GARO, Gungrave, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, Inari Kon Kon, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Michiko and Hatchin, Nabari no Ou, Noir, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club, Space Dandy, Terror in Resonance, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho)
(Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist, Heroic Age (BD), Origin: Spirits of the Past)

------

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement

(Black Lagoon, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha A's, Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry)

------

Geneon USA (formerly Pioneer Entertainment)

(3x3 Eyes, Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card, Paranoia Agent)
(Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Koi Kaze, Requiem from the Darkness, Rumiko Takahashi: Anthology, Zipang)
(Last Exile)

------

GKIDS

1. Spirited Away (BD)
  2. When Marnie Was There (BD)
  3. Princess Kaguya (BD)
  4. Castle in the Sky (BD)
  5. Kiki's Deliver Service (BD)
  6. Ocean Waves (BD)
  7. Miss Hokusai (BD)

(Only Yesterday)

------

Manga Entertainment

(Dante's Inferno, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG, Rayearth, Redline (BD))
(Dead Leaves)
(Noein)

------

Media Blasters

1. YamiBou
  2. Ai no Kusabi

(Figure 17, GaoGaiGar, Gokusen, Kashimashi, Magic Knight Rayearth S1, Magic Knight Rayearth S2, Moribito, Otogi Zoshi, Rurouni Kenshin, Shinesman, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Tekkaman Blade, The Twelve Kingdoms)
(Blade of the Immortal, Fushigi Yugi, Giant Robo, Moribito (BD), Phoenix, Squid Girl, Twelve Kingdoms (BD))
(Tweeny Witches)

------

New Video Group

(Mononoke, Patema Inverted (BD), RWBY Vol. 1 (BD), RWBY Vol 2. (BD))

------

NISA

1. Toradora! (BD)

(Cardcaptor Sakura (BD), The Eccentric Family (BD), House of Five Leaves, Natsume Yuujinchou S1 & S2, Natsume Yuujinchou S3 (BD), Natsume Yuujinchou S4 (BD), Zakuro)
(Nagi-Asu)
(Anohana (BD), Bunny Drop (BD), Katanagatari (BD), Kimi ni Todoke S1 (Part 1) (BD))

------

The Right Stuf International

Nozomi Entertainment

(Aria S1, Boogiepop Phantom, His and Her Circumstances, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Emma: A Victorian Romance 2nd Act, Revolutionary Girl Utena (LE), The Rose of Versailles (LE), The Third)
(Aria, Dirty Pair, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano, Tyler, Utena (BD))
(Sound of the Sky)
(Martian Successor Nadesico, Shingu)

Lucky Penny

1. Tamayura - Hitotose
  2. Umi Monogatari

(Sweet Blue Flowers)
(Hyakko, Magic User's Club)

------

Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks (Previously A.D. Vision)

ADV Films

(Full Metal Panic!)

Maiden Japan

1. Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1/1988)

(Den-noh Coil)
(New Dominion Tank Police, Patlabor TV series, Vampire Princess Miyu)

Section 23

(Blue Seed, Five Star Stories, Ghost Stories, Kino's Journey)
(Nadia)
(Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon)
(Angelic Layer, Le Chevalier de Eon, Petite Princess Yucie)

Sentai Filmworks

1. Gatchaman Crowds Insight (BD)
  2. When They Cry: Season 1 (BD)
  3. When They Cry - Kai: Season 2 (BD)
  4. Chaika -The Coffin Princess- Avenging Battle (BD)
  5. From the New World (BD)
  6. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (7/2/15 license)

(Angelic Layer, Another (BD), Aura (BD), Beyond the Boundary (CE BD), Bodacious Space Pirates (BD), Chaika -The Coffin Princess- (BD), Chihayafuru Season 1 (PE BD), Colorful (BD), Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, Garden of Words (BD), Gatchaman Crowds (BD), Ghost Hound (BD), Glass Mask, Mardock Scramble Trilogy (BD), Orphen, Penguin Drum (BD), Shigofumi, Shirobako (BD0, Tari Tari (BD), The World Is Still Beautiful (BD), tsuritama (BD))
(Bodacious Space Pirates movie, Girls und Panzer, Kids on the Slope, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Pet Shop of Horrors, Yamishibai)
(AKB0048, Book of Bantorra, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hidamari Sketch, Kokoro Connect, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Mysterious Girlfriend X, One Week Friends, Sakura Trick, Space Brothers, You're Under Arrest)
(Mardock Scramble: 1st Compression (BD), Penguin Drum (Part 1) (BD), Taisho Baseball Girls, TariTari, Utakata)

------

[AU] Siren Visual

1. Monster

(Chihayafuru S1, Chihayafuru S2, Dennou Coil, Genius Party, Kaiba, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy)
(Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, Welcome to Irabu's Office)

------

VIZ Media

1. Sailor Moon S
  2. Sailor Moon Stars
  3. Sailor Moon SS
  4. Tiger and Bunny

(Sailor Moon (BD), Sailor Moon R (BD))
(Honey and Clover, Monster, NANA)

------

Voyager Entertainment

Star Blazers 2199

------

Anime Sols

(Dear Brother set 1, Dear Brother set 2, Dear Brother set 3)

------

Kickstarter

(YOI Arcana!!! on Ice Tarot Deck)
(Anime News Nina book, Kick Heart, Skip Beat!, Time of Eve: The Movie, Town of Salem game (1st & 2nd Kickstarter), Under the Dog, Wakfu)

MOST WANTED LICENSE WISH LIST:

Notes: (No English language physical release) (English language physical release but no R1/A release) (R1/A license expired / OOP / incomplete / new format)

Format: Rank #. "Series Name" [ANN ID #]

1. The Tatami Galaxy [11200]
  2. Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card [2026] (Bluray release)
  3. Brave King GaoGaiGar FINAL [2066]
  4. Cross Game [10580]
  5. The Story of Saiunkoku Second Series [7868]
  6. Nodame Cantabile [7010]
  7. The Beast Player Erin [10291]
  8. Monster [3750] (Complete release)
  9. Yawara! [1325] (Complete release)

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 24 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
MANGA LIST

2017 Priority List wrote:
  • The Palette of 12 Secret Colors (v. 2-6) -- CMX
  • Planetes Omnibus (v. 2) -- Dark Horse
  • Princess Jellyfish (v. 6+) -- Kodansha
  • Sweet Blue Flowers (v. 2+) - Viz
  • Yona of the Dawn (v. 7+) -- Viz

MANGA PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Pre-orders) (Purchased) (Lower purchase priority) (Legal scans / library) (Sold / gave away) BOLD (Digital)

ADV Manga

(Chrono Crusade)

------

CMX

1. The Palette of 12 Secret Colors (v. 2-6)
  2. Cipher (v. 1-2, 4-7, 9-11)

(Cipher (v. 3, 8), Emma, The Palette of 12 Secret Colors (v. 1))
(Astral Project, Madara, Moon Child, Musashi No. 9, The Name of the Flower, The Recipe for Gertrude, Tower of the Future, Two Flowers for the Dragon)

------

Dark Horse

1. Planetes Omnibus (v. 2)
  2. Appleseed (v. 2-4)

(3x3 Eyes (v. 3-8), Appleseed (v. 1), Blood Blockade Battlefront (v. 1-7), Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus, Clover Omnibus, Eden: It's an Endless World (v. 1-14), Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 1-13), Magic Knight Rayearth Omnibus, Planetes Omnibus (v. 1), Translucent)
(Hellsing, MPD Psycho)
(Blood+, Chobits)

------

Del Ray

(ES Eternal Sabbath, Moyasimon, Mushi-shi, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei)
(Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (v. 1-3), xxxHolic (v. 1-3))

------

Digital Manga Publishing

(Flower of Life)

------

DRAWN & QUARTERLY

(Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths, Push Man & Other Stories, Red Snow, A Single Match)

------

FANTAGRAPHICS

1. Nijigahara Photograph
  2. A Drunken Dream and Other Short Stories

(Heart of Thomas)
(Wandering Son)

------

FIRST SECOND

(Color of Earth)

------

Go Comi

(After School Nightmare, Her Majesty's Dog)

------

Kodansha

1. Princess Jellyfish (v. 6+)

(Codename: Sailor V, No. 6, Parasyte, Princess Jellyfish (v. 1-5), Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon: Short Stories, A Silent Voice)
(Attack on Titan)
(Cage of Eden, Mardock Scramble)
(Attack on Titan (v. 1), Sailor Moon (v. 1-2), Vinland Saga (v. 1))

------

ONE PEACE

1. Breathe Deeply
  2. Ten Ken

(Whispered Words)

------

PICTUREBOX

(Garden)

------

Seven Seas

1. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Omnibus (v. 3-5)

(Gakuen Polizi, Girl Friends Omnibus, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Omnibus (v. 1-2), orange Omnibus)
(Bodacious Space Pirates, Citrus, Kashimashi, Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms, Laddertop, Toradora!, Voiceful)

------

TokyoPop

1. Immortal Rain (v. 4, 7, 8)
  2. Mars (v. 13-15)
  3. Tramps Like Us
  4. Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 2-4)

(FAKE, Fruits Basket, Immortal Rain (v. 1-3, 5, 6), Magic Knight Rayearth, Mars (v. 1-12), Mugen Spiral, NG Life, Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 1))
(Dragon Knights, Kare Kano)
(Banner of the Stars, Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Crest of the Stars, Dragon Knights (v. 5), Girl Got Game (v. 1-5), Gorgeous Carat (v. 1), Kindaichi Case Files (v. 1-5), Paradise Kiss (v. 1-5), Marmalade Boy (v. 5-8))

------

TOP SHELF

(AX: A Collection of Alternative Manga 1)

------

Udon Entertainment

1. Rose of Versailles (7/11/15 license, due Q2 2016)

(Kill la Kill, Steins;Gate)

------

Vertical

1. What Did You Eat Yesterday? (v. 8+)

(7 Billion Needles, In Clothes Called Fat, Sakuran, Twin Spica, What Did You Eat Yesterday? (v. 1-7))
(Chi's Sweet Home, Helter Skelter, No Longer Human, Paradise Kiss, Velveteen & Mandala)
(Apollo's Song, Dororo, The Drops of God, Lychee Light Club, Message to Adolf, MW, To Terra)
(Limit, The Flowers of Evil (v. 1))

------

VIZ

1. Yona of the Dawn (7+)
  2. Sweet Blue Flowers (2+)
  3. Afterschool Charisma (v. 8+)
  4. Banana Fish (v. 1-9, 11, 12, 14)

1. Otomen
  2. Demon Prince of Momochi House
  3. Kamisama Kiss
  4. Earl and the Fairy
  5. All You Need Is Kill
  6. We Were There
  7. My Love Story
  8. Dorohedoro

(20th Century Boys, 21st Century Boys, A, A', Afterschool Charisma (v. 1-7), All My Darling Daughters, Banana Fish (v. 10, 13, 15-19), Basara, Chicago, Cross Game Omnibus, From Far Away, Kamisama Kiss (v. 8-10), Library Wars, Love Com, Monster, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Omnibus LE, Please Save My Earth, Story of Saiunkoku, Uzumaki Omnibus, Yona of the Dawn (v. 1-6))
(Battle Royale, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, House of Five Leaves, Kingyo Used Books, Maison Ikkoku, Oyasumi Pun-Pun, Rurouni Kenshin, Skip Beat!, Solanin, Video Girl Ai)
(Bokurano: Ours, Pluto, Saturn Apartments)
(Descendants of Darkness (v. 1-4, 6-8, 10), Dorohedoro (v. 1-3), Fushigi Yugi (v. 1-8), Kaze Hikaru (v. 1-3, 5), Maison Ikkoku (v. 10, 12-15), Ranma 1/2 (v. 1-9, 12-14), Uzumaki (v. 1))

------

Yen Press

1. A Bride's Story (v. 3, 5+)
  2. With the Light (v. 7-8)
  3. Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something
  4. Baccano! LN
  5. Spice and Wolf LN (v. 4+)

(A Bride's Story (v. 1, 2, 4), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater, Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 1-3), With the Light (v. 1-6))
(Higurashi: When They Cry, Maximum Ride, Romeo x Juliet, Spiral)

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:14 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Another Willag list, eh?

Anime
Noein-omg, the special features! They do not list the dub outtakes! I loved the dub outtakes! I'm still buying this series again on blu-ray though (waiting for rightstuf to list it), it is still one of my fav series.
Toward the Terra-definitely bump this one higher. Unlike a lot of the Bandai corpse, which was mostly picked clean, this one was not and still remains in limbo. I'd get it now before it gets really expensive. Sure, a lot of the other titles have gotten rescued and are in release limbo, but we know those have a shot at least.
Twelve Kingdoms-12K is really really good, also, the third blu-ray set is out of print. Clearly, they did not make enough of set 3 and 1 and 2 are easy to find. At least the old DVDs are also easy to find.
Dirty Pair-as someone who loves 80s scifi and action, I just adored this series. And I'd go for all of the 80s stuff too: two TV, one OVA series, one movies set. Safe to ignore Flash though.
Patlabor TV-I also like more down to earth mecha shows sometimes too. But know that you're not getting into a mecha series like you would when watching Gurren Lagann or something, you're getting into a show about fun characters that happens to have mechas. And you'll need the OVA series to complete the story. And the movies are solid too.
Nadia-honestly, this series disappointed me, and not just because of the Africa/Island arc (which everyone seems to dislike, but which is easy to find what to skip in that arc online these days). Nadia herself rather annoyed me, that little girl did nothing of use, and the boy was "meh". Though the Doronjo Gang was awesome, I really wish the whole series had been about them. I just feel like there's better kids adventure series out there, really. It felt like a longer, more stretched out, but not as good Laputa to me.
Welcome to Irabu's Office-I'm honestly considering importing this one myself, it's a brilliant series where there's little connections between episodes. A side event off in the background of one ep is a main event in another.

Manga
Cipher-of all the CMX titles in purple, I probably enjoyed this one the most. If you can get over the extreme 80sness of it (the side columns are the most 80s side columns possible in a manga)
Maison Ikkoku-it's a shame Viz treats this series like such garbage when I think it's Takahashi's best series to date. It has an actually ending, plot does happen at regular intervals, 8 Christmases actually mean 8 years have passed, and the characters are far less tsundere than other ones tend to be. I guess the boring covers and lack of fighting made people less interested, but it's the romcom genre done right.
Skip-Beat-most everyone on the manga forums clearly follows this series for a reason, it really is cracktastic
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned a person that I bought OOP stuff from before and she sent me a list of stuff that she has for sale today and after going through it a couple of times I compiled the small list below of stuff that sounds interesting (all are complete sets by the way). Is there anything on this list that I should definitely buy?

Angel Tales
Sister Princess
Arjuna
Vampire Princess Miyu
Gunslinger Girl & Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino
Spiral
Silent Möbius
Kurau: Phantom Memory
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Saiyuki
Najica Blitz Tactics
Galaxy Railways
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Sorcerer Hunters
Argento Soma
Samurai 7

She also has three Slayers boxsets for sale, the OVA Collection, the Movie Collection (6 DVD boxset) and The Perfect Collection (TV series collection which I can't even find on ANN).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
@Ortensia1980

I'm not familiar with all of those titles but I can give notes on what I know. My comments pertain to the US versions, is that what she is offering?

Sister Princess I got one disk into this series and gave it away. Insipid.
Arjuna I've never seen it, but Zac and Hope spent an entire pod cast talking about how bad it was.
Vampire Princess Miyu If it is the OAV version, two volumes from AnimEigo here, it is excellent, snap it up. Excellent creepy horror. If it is the TV series, it has good story telling but rather limited animation. There is a current version from Maiden Japan that is preferable to the old Tokyo Pop version.
Gunslinger Girl & Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino Excellent, snap it up. If the "Ode to Joy" episode doesn't get to you, you have no heart.
Silent Möbius There are two movies and a TV series. Considered a classic. Women fighting monsters from another dimension in a cyber punk Tokyo. You should get it.
Kurau: Phantom Memory I haven't finished this but I intend to. It usually gets good reviews.
Najica Blitz Tactics This is a notorious panty shot show. If that sort of thing bothers you skip it. If you can ignore that, it does have an interesting story involving a kick ass industrial spy and her android sidekick. The manga is better.
Sorcerer Hunters A group of weirdoes named for food. The have sort of powers and hunt down evil sorcerers on behalf of a supernatural character called "Big Momma". Lots of slapstick humor. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not familiar with a "Perfect" collection of Slayers TV. My collection of the early TV series is from Funimation and just says "The First Three Seasons" (Slayers, Slayers Next and Slayers Try) Seasons four and five are also available from Funimation in a Bluray/DVD combo pack. The movie collection and OAV collection are both from ADV.

I hope this helps.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the help, Alan! Definitely adding those to the list!

Alan45 wrote:
Vampire Princess Miyu If it is the OAV version, two volumes from AnimEigo here, it is excellent, snap it up. Excellent creepy horror. If it is the TV series, it has good story telling but rather limited animation. There is a current version from Maiden Japan that is preferable to the old Tokyo Pop version.

She says that it's a 6 disc set which makes it the TV series. And given how old some of the stuff that I've bought from her is, it'll be the Tokyo Pop one. But if you're saying that the Maiden Japan version is better, I won't bother.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with a "Perfect" collection of Slayers TV. My collection of the early TV series is from Funimation and just says "The First Three Seasons" (Slayers, Slayers Next and Slayers Try) Seasons four and five are also available from Funimation in a Bluray/DVD combo pack. The movie collection and OAV collection are both from ADV.

That's what confused me as well. I checked on ANN and on google and I can't find a Perfect Collection anywhere. I've found some pictures from someone that was selling one on ebay and it looked like the old boxsets from Software Sculptors with a slipcover around it Confused
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Quote:

That's what confused me as well. I checked on ANN and on google and I can't find a Perfect Collection anywhere. I've found some pictures from someone that was selling one on ebay and it looked like the old boxsets from Software Sculptors with a slipcover around it Confused

You might want to check if it says Region 0 for the region coding and what company it was released by. I think I saw one like that once and it was an import which gave me the suspicion that it was a bootleg. I'm not saying that one is a bootleg, but you might want to see pics of the specifics.

I would also recommend Gunslinger Girl I and II just for the backgrounds of places in Italy. Especially if you've been to Italy before or have an art history background you'll start to recognize certain things. The show is well researched in that department and the first season looks very nice visually (2nd season not so much different studio). I like the series quite a bit. It has the tragic element of child soldiers/assassins and what that entails that works for me.

Kurau: Phantom Memory is a pretty decent show and I would recommend that one too. The dub if I recall was decent for its time. They also did a fairly good job of introducing a different kind of life form.

Samurai 7 was ok-ish for my tastes. Some of the dub acting was pretty good if I recall, but there was a little girl that was severely annoying VA wise. Plus the animation and art also suffer several severe breakdowns at times. A more easy going person might accept its flaws, but it added up for me. Its one to stream imho, not own.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
@Ortensia1980

The Maiden Japan version of Vampire Miyu takes much less space but may come in a stack pack case if that bothers you. I just remembered I replaced mine. On the Tokyo Pop version, on the first disk, they left the opening, ending and preview off of the episodes so you got four or so episodes all run together with out a break. I found this rather irritating as did a lot of people. I think they changed back to normal on later disks.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
And thanks for the help, One-Eye. I've asked her how much she'd want for both Gunslinger Girl sets and Silent Möbius. If I have some money left over, I'll ask how much she wants for Kurau: Phantom Memory as well.

@Alan45: That would annoy me as well so I'm not even going to ask how much she'd want for that set. I will be on the lookout for the OVAs now though!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
@Ortensia1980
The Vampire Princess Miyu OAV shouldn't be hard to find. On this side of the pond it is still available from TRSI, RACS and from the publisher AnimEigo. (www.animeigo.com)

The associated manga is also excellent. The author is the character designer for the OAV and the director (and co writer from vol 2) is her husband. Unfortunately the company that printed it in English has been out of business for a long time. The encyclopedia indicates it was issued in French if that is an option for you.
No-name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
I am hoping that someone here in this thread will be able to help me out with this. I have been searching high and low, far and wide, and everywhere to find all the characters from the anime Smyphogear. The only ones I have been able to to find are Tsubasa and Hibiki in their Symphogear and Yukine in a bunny outfit. I am trying to find all six (or seven if you include Miku) Symphogear users in their Symphogears and not having any lluck at all. Please tell me some one knows where I can find them all. I don't care about the price tag as long as I am able to get my hands on them cause this is driving me nuts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 122 of 132