• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, I don't blind buy LEs. I absolutely loved Akame ga Kill! I liked Dusk Maiden and Another, but for me Boundary was way, way better. It's all just a matter of personal taste.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Someone convince me not to break my own cardinal rule and buy Kill la Kill for the "sale" price of $30 per measly four-episode volume (yay it's like 2001 singles again!). I mean, I love the hell out of the show, but AoA can suck various portions of my anatomy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Do it, Top Gun, buy it! You know you wanna!

(Boy have you come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of spending money).

You can get the 3 UK Blu-ray volumes for about $25 USD each if you have the means of playing them.

For myself, I've been keeping an eye on the three UK Kill la Kill Collectors Editions offered through Amazon.uk. Right now, they are roughly 40 pounds each (price, not weight, heh). There are only three sets compared with AoA's five, so it's obviously a cheaper way to go and I do have an all-region player. But I think they'll come down even more in price eventually, so I'm lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce at an opportune moment...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The UK releases are very good quality too, they're put out by the best local distributor by far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, st_owly, good to know!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm looking on Amazon UK, and even with the shipping this seems like it'll still be only half the cost of AoA's nonsense. I don't even have a way to play them right now (unless I figure out some questionably-legal computer stuffs), but I'd still feel far better doing it this way. Looking at some other stuff, they have Durarara for far cheaper than I could get it here as well. Oddly out of all of those they won't ship Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray to the US, though they're fine with the DVD version. This is my first time fooling around with international ordering, so I have no idea if that's a common licensing thing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Okay, I'm looking on Amazon UK, and even with the shipping this seems like it'll still be only half the cost of AoA's nonsense.

This makes me ponder doing the same myself and importing them. Hey owly my luv let me know if you see a cheap version of Ano Hana lol. Might have to just import everything I can on Aniplex from the UK heh. I think AoA has the highest percentage of titles I truly like based on the number in their entire catalogue compared to any other studio. Alas, their pricing market prevents me from purchasing most of them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Due to a question somebody recently asked in the general anime discussion forum regarding the Monogatari franchise, I actually went through every single related release and compared the cost of buying them from TRSI versus ordering them from Amazon.uk. Here are the gory details (TRSI price/Amazon UK price converted to USD):

Kizu Part 1 (there will be three movies): $70/not released yet

Neko (Black): $50/$22

Bake: $150/$44

Nise: $120/$34

Neko (White - Mono 2nd Season): $60/$22 (Tsuba arc)

Kabuki (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$21 (Mayoi arc)

Otori (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$18 (Nadeko arc)

Oni (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$22 (Shinobu arc)

Koi (Mono 2nd Season): $60/$21 (Hitagi arc)

Tsuki: $50/$23

Hana: $50/$22

Owari vol 1: $70/not released yet

Owari vol 2: $60/not released yet

So if you buy all the available sets from TRSI, it will cost you: $890 and from UK Amazon $249 with 3 sets not yet available. I should also mention that shipping from Amazon.uk is dirt cheap. It only costs me 3.08 pounds to ship a DVD or Blu-ray to Canada, so I imagine it's the same for the US. With the pound doing so crappy against the US dollar, that works out to less than $4 shipping. If you have more than one item in an order, the shipping cost per unit goes down. Christ, it costs me $14.95 US to have a DVD or Blu-ray shipped from the US (through Amazon.com) and you bastards are right next door.

Buying an all-region player was literally the best anime-related decision I've ever made. Not only can you get AoA sets for WAY cheaper, but you can get stuff that isn't available in North America. For example, I got all of Monster during a great sale from Australia.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the lack of shipping costs absolutely floored me. I wound up getting the basic Kill la Kill sets and the Durarara season 1 set, and collectively they cost me all of 5 or 6 pounds (which is only $6 to $7.50 or so). I've probably approached that when making domestic purchases that slipped under the free-shipping limit.

The one thing I'm still hesitating on (for now) is the Gurren Lagann set. There's the standard Blu-ray set that Amazon wouldn't ship here anyway, but there's also that super-fancy set that includes the movies and the Parallel Works music videos. The UK version seems to be out of print, but there's an Australian release for that still available. Then again, it looks like the UK is getting a cheaper set of just the movies and music videos, so combining that with the standard Blu-ray set would be a much saner shot. I should know better than to throw excess money on something that's just a double-dip media upgrade anyway.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
I think I need to invest in an all region BR/DVD player lol. My question is for titles with a dub if I imported them from the UK would I be getting a UK dub or the NA dub? Never imported an anime before, minus from Japan, so I'm new at this. Given the more financially viable option of getting AoA titles though I seriously think I need to invest in this. We already have a Prime account too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
@ Psycho 101 - the vast majority of the time, the UK distrib simply uses the existing North American dub (I say North American as opposed to American because a fair amount of dubs, especially in the past, did come from Canada as well). There are some exceptions. For example, the film The Secret World of Arrietty (which in the UK is just called Arrietty) does have a different dub using UK actors which is the reason I bought it in addition to the North American release. But that's a fairly rare exception, I believe. I'm sure st_owly can correct me if I am wrong.

I should also mention that all-region players are not especially expensive. Mine was about $190 CAD. If you are a bit adventurous, you can buy a cheap, normal player, go online and find instructions for that particular model and turn it into an all-region player, yourself. Trouble is, if you screw up, you end up with an unrepairable hunk of junk. Of course, there are computer work arounds too but I use a Macbook Air which can't even play discs so that route is not an option for me. I never really had much luck with that way even when it was physically possible, though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Psycho 101 - the vast majority of the time, the UK distrib simply uses the existing North American dub (I say North American as opposed to American because a fair amount of dubs, especially in the past, did come from Canada as well). There are some exceptions. For example, the film The Secret World of Arrietty (which in the UK is just called Arrietty) does have a different dub using UK actors which is the reason I bought it in addition to the North American release. But that's a fairly rare exception, I believe. I'm sure st_owly can correct me if I am wrong.

Correctamundo. Most UK releases, especially barebones ones, are pretty much identical to the US ones apart from the local distributor logos, region coding and sometimes trailers. Sometimes the extras on our premium/collector's editions are different, especially if Anime Limited are involved. With the cost of pressing BluRays still pretty high, it's just not worth it for small UK distros to do things on their own. UK companies also often team up with Australian ones, as we share the same BluRay region.
Arrietty is the only modern (later than 2000) anime I can think of which has received a separate UK dub. Everything else just gets the Murican one as again it's not worth a UK distro commissioning one for our tiny market. (most anime here sells in the 100's-1000's copies)

Stock up now whilst our currency is still down the sewer (last summer it was ~$1.60=£1, this spring when I went to the US it was $1.4=£1, now it's hovering around $1.2=£1.... A few years ago it was $2=£1, how I miss those days...)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
Think I need to check out Amazon UK and do some stocking up on AoA titles then. o_O. Get them first while it's cheap. Can always get the player later. Wonder if my x-box One would play them? Time to check google.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's a list of sentences/phrases st_owly is dying to hear more of, but doesn't because UK distribs don't localize much of their acquisitions:

"Cor blimey, mate!"

"Right! Wot's all this then?"

"Eve'nin, guvnah."

"I've just about 'ad enough of you lot, 'avn't I?"

"Strooth!"

"I say old bean, be a lovely fellow and pass the cognac."

"The ruh-ain 'n Spuh-ain folls ma-ainly on thu' pla-ain."

Pity that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Old-hat, old boy! Such platitudes have to include the word 'banter' in this day and age.

While British-accented anime dubs largely do not exist, the recent North American release of Only Yesterday is a major exception. The irony in such a case is that the film has been in print for many years over here, so the audiences to whom the dub may appeal the most are likely to already own it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 125 of 132