• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I struggled to get to $50 for free USA shipping (zawa is being my shipping mule and sending a big package over to me at some point with some other bits in too). The only anime I got was the Taisho Baseball Girls Bluray as that's unlikely to come out over here now, and a few random manga volumes which were expensive on Amazon UK but cheap and in stock at RS.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
After witnessing how amazing a 4K scan can deliver with Cardcaptor Sakura, I’ve been considering the Giant Robo Blu-ray box. I want the first edition but it’s pretty expensive (used, even) I’m gonna keep an eye out for an auction on Buyee.

Regretting not getting it back in the day!!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I was close to getting the Golden Time collection from Sentai's Valentine Day's sale yesterday. But I decided against it largely out of spite over the way they listed it. What caught my attention initially while browsing was the discount. They had it priced for $35 down from $100 (65% woo! Good show, I'll buy it!)... but something struck me as odd. $100? for 24 episodes? huh... Looking around I found that Right Stuff and DeepDiscount had the MSRP at $80, oddly Amazon has MSRP at $50 (for some reason ANN does not have the release information for the complete collection). Now... Sentai's sale price was still the cheapest by at least $10... but that's dirty pool damnit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree, SM, that's cheesy. Unlike you, however, if I had wanted it, I would have snagged it at the cheapest possible price while grumbling about the slimy tactic.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, honestly, it's also a fringe title for me. Good not great. A series to buy at a good sale... and it's Sentai... they'll probably be selling it for $30 on their Daylight Savings Sale or their April Fools Easter Sunday sale, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I am considering buying the UK import for Samurai Flamenco (which comes in two parts). There never was a North American release for it and I kind of dug the show.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm eyeing an old box set for the anime, Tokyo Underground, licensed by Geneon over a decade earlier. Placed a bid on one for an auction on E-Bay. Still have to wait about 6 days before it is mine, so long as I'm not outbid.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am considering buying the UK import for Samurai Flamenco (which comes in two parts). There never was a North American release for it and I kind of dug the show.

I've got a part 1 I can sell you for cheaps. I got it in a blind box.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Good to know, thanks! Not that it matters because I'm good with either DVD or BD, but which is it? I'll defo let you know if I decide to pull the trigger.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Good to know, thanks! Not that it matters because I'm good with either DVD or BD, but which is it? I'll defo let you know if I decide to pull the trigger.

Bluray region B. It's this version. https://shop.alltheanime.com/collections/samurai-flamenco/products/samurai-flamenco-blu-ray
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Loosely toying with the idea of getting the live action Moribito series from CDJapan on BD. No subs and it's a bit pricey though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
So, an evil Discotek sale rears its wallet snatching head! Any opinions on the following series or movies?

1) Bananya-I think I honestly want this one 95% for Mike Toole as the narrator. And 5% because I enjoy cats. And 3 minutes is usually about my tolerance for slice of life to begin with!

2) Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth-I tried the TV series, but I found it pretty insufferable for me to get through, so I gave up. I did enjoy the GE999 movie well enough, and have been enjoying the Queen Emeraldas manga. I'm hoping the Harlock manga will be better (it can't possibly be paced as slowly). But I'm still curious about this, since it's know for being really good.

3) Crusher Joe-pretty sure I do want this, the question is if they're gonna do some bluray double pack in the future (which seems decently likely to me)

4) Dancouga-Don't know too much about this one, seems hard to find many opinions on. It is a bit long though.

5) GoShogun: TV Series-I did see the Time Etranger movie. It was really weird. But I wanted to know more about the character dynamic, it seemed interesting. Though I already know tonally, a mecha show will be much different than the movie was.

6) Like the Clouds, Like the Wind-kind of blind on this one. I'm not a fan of the Ghibli style character designs though (although I know Ghibli itself didn't have involvement with this movie)

7) Nutcracker Fantasy-I guess just general curiosity, I also heard it's rather trippy!

8) Swan Lake-I've liked their release of Little Mermaid, I'd like to see other classic tales in a non-Disney/non-Bluth version

9) Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer-I watched a few early eps of the TV show, but I'm not into love triangle (and especially the Rumiko Takahashi "talking to each other? What's that?!" ones), but I have heard a lot about this movie
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So, an evil Discotek sale rears its wallet snatching head! Any opinions on the following series or movies?

I can provide input on some of them, as I've watched them.

Quote:
2) Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth-I tried the TV series, but I found it pretty insufferable for me to get through, so I gave up. I did enjoy the GE999 movie well enough, and have been enjoying the Queen Emeraldas manga. I'm hoping the Harlock manga will be better (it can't possibly be paced as slowly). But I'm still curious about this, since it's know for being really good.

Many of Leiji Matsumoto's works are typically not my thing due to how heavy-handed their drama and symbolism are depicted. Arcadia of my Youth is one of several retcons to the Captain Harlock mythos attempted in an anime format and is just as heavy-handed with milking its drama as other Matsumoto works, though it does make an effort at establishing some sort of back story with Harlock that other continuities of the franchise haven't tackled.

Quote:
3) Crusher Joe-pretty sure I do want this, the question is if they're gonna do some bluray double pack in the future (which seems decently likely to me)

I'm assuming for the movie? For me, Crusher Joe felt like a product of its time as many anime studios were heavily milking sci-fi anime in the early 80s. Nothing about it particularly stick out for me compared to other titles of the period.

Quote:
6) Like the Clouds, Like the Wind-kind of blind on this one. I'm not a fan of the Ghibli style character designs though (although I know Ghibli itself didn't have involvement with this movie)

I would definitely recommend snagging this up. In spite of the Ghibli-familiar visuals, the film offers some engaging storytelling with Ginga learning the ins-and-outs of living a life of royalty in spite of her commoner roots, and later facing some hardships in the film's second half.

Quote:
9) Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer-I watched a few early eps of the TV show, but I'm not into love triangle (and especially the Rumiko Takahashi "talking to each other? What's that?!" ones), but I have heard a lot about this movie

In case you're not aware, Beautiful Dreamer was one of the earlier films directed by Mamoru Oshii and is the earliest title to showcase his philosophy-driven storytelling. It shows well in this movie being quite different in presentation and storytelling style compared to anything else shown in the Urusei Yatsura franchise with some existential themes and surreal storytelling, even by the normal standards of the franchise. Like you, I was not a fan of the series in general due to it dabbling into Rumiko Takahashi's typical "fighting couple" tropes. But I would at least recommend checking out the film once since Oshii's direction of it takes it in a more unique direction compared to anything else within the franchise.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
That definitely helped! I've eliminated a few things (and now my cart is under $100! Barely!) Not ordering tonight though, I have some self restraint Twisted Evil
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought about mostly-blind buying the available volumes of Maga-Tsuki during the recent Kodansha sale on RSA. However, the uncertain status of the last 3 volumes gave me pause, especially with a switch from single volumes for 1-8 to omnibus for 9-10 feeling like a low-sales desperation move. While there is a page on Amazon for an 11-13 omnibus coming out in June 2019, there's nothing about that on here, RSA, or on Kodansha's site itself. So I think I'll revisit this when the next Kodansha sale rolls around, and see if there's been a more credible solicitation for any volumes beyond 10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 130 of 132