• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Cruising the Anime City interview

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quote
You might want to edit the celebrities Machiyama trashed, so you don't get sued for libel. Especially since Jacko hasn't been convicted yet.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
Oops, this article wasn't supposed to be posted till midnight, how'd that happen ?

Quote:
You might want to edit the celebrities Machiyama trashed, so you don't get sued for libel. Especially since Jacko hasn't been convicted yet.

It's a quote, he'd get sued for libel, not us. And I doubt it'll happen.

[edit: What's more, he doesn't actually say anything about Jackson. His comment about Carey perhaps borders on libel, although he's obviously giving a comment about Carey's writing that equates to "Carey's writing is not respectful of Japan, some I don't think he's respectiful of Japan. He's an idiot that way." But in fewer words. I have no idea what side of the law that would fall on.]

[Edit 2: "What's more, he doesn't actually say anything about Jackson." (Because it's the reader who assumes that to "become Michael Jackson" is a bad thing.)]

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:43 am Reply with quote
Then put some sort of disclaimer saying that the following comments are not endorsed by ANN.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Then put some sort of disclaimer saying that the following comments are not endorsed by ANN.

Those disclaimers are for columns and editorials. Its a given that the opinions expressed by an interviewee do not necesarrily reflect the interviewer or the publication that publishes the interview.

What's more, those disclaimers aren't legally binding. The publication is still responsible for articles published in that manner.

I'm not sure where the technical line gets drawn between editorial comments, and comments made in an interview (by the interviewee), but obviously that line exists somewhere...

Just for good measure, I'm going to double check this one with my lawyer, but in the meantime I'm not actually concerned. Anyone who mistakes Machiyama's opinions for ANN's is an idiot.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
For the record, I haven't read "Wrong about Japan" and have no opinion on it or its author.

-t
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
For the record, I haven't read "Wrong about Japan" and have no opinion on it or its author.

I don't think that disclaimer was necessary Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1