• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: s-CRY-ed and Escaflowne on Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Well, I guess I'll watch both even though they'll porbably be cut. I really haven't seen a LOT of series.

The only thing that will need to be cut in s-CRY-ed is Kazama and Couger when they curse.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
one3rd wrote:
It wasn't official before if I'm not mistaken. Just a post by an AS guy on the AS forums.

Nope, it was announced in their press release, see the second post in this topic. Wink

They're showing Escaflowne the movie because the TV series is A) Showing it's age, and B) Toonami fodder.

Emerje
Erm, so if the Esca movie is darker than the series, and the series is "Toonami fodder", why is it airing on Cartoon Network instead again? Question
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
The only thing that will need to be cut in s-CRY-ed is Kazama and Couger when they curse.

Considering that the time says 12:30 am, I don't think swearing will be that big of a problem. Unless it's "cock" or something.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Considering that the time says 12:30 am, I don't think swearing will be that big of a problem. Unless it's "cock" or something.

It is S**t a few times, that is all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Erm, so if the Esca movie is darker than the series, and the series is "Toonami fodder", why is it airing on Cartoon Network instead again? Question

The Escaflowne movie is airing on Adult Swim (which is what I ment by "they") which, in America anyway, is it's own seperate beast from the rest of Cartoon Network. Adult Swim will show stuff like s-CRY-ed, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, and the Esca movie, the rest of Cartoon Network will not. To rephrase what I said, Adult Swim will not show the Escaflowne TV series because it's a much better fit on Toonami.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blackjack22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
I disagree. I'm a huge fan of the escaflowne series and movie and have watched both a few times. I think while the movie takes it up to a whole 'nother level in terms of mature content, I think the series had its fair share of content that I wouldn't find suitable for the toonami bracket. You got lots of fighting and violence, most of it with blood, a transexual enemy in dilandau, and most of the talk about fate, romance, and destiny will probably go over the heads of the younger viewers, or they won't even care. And I think there's even some nudity in the doppelganger episode. There's lots of intense scenes of war and destruction which may be pretty intense, and they show the people in the guymelefs dying. Death and war is treated as a very serious and solemn thing. This show is no Zatch Bell, that's for sure. There is lots of dying and chaos, especially towards the end of the series and the war between Zaibach and the other countries of Gaea. In fact, the series is fairly serious and intense throughout. If you're referring to the edited crap they aired on fox kids a while back, which I don't even consider a real "version" of the series, then yeah, I would have to agree with you. But even in that heavily edited down version and their attempt to make it seem more action-packed, I was captivated but still found it a bit slow and boring as a 12 year old. I say if they show Case Closed on AS, then this show should definitely be on there also. It's at least more mature in content than Case Closed, and I would say it's at least a show teens would enjoy the most. It is simply one of the greatest anime series I've seen and my favorite series of all time, and if anything, it deserves to be shown on AS way more than the movie, which I thought was rushed yet entertaining. It's nowhere near on the same level of the masterpiece that was the series though. It was so well-done and top-notch in every way for its day. It's already an anime classic, IMO. And even now, I think audiences will be able to appreciate it.

Last edited by blackjack22 on Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

I remember in the fansub version Kazuma would call Ryuhou a b***h on several ocasions. I don't know how true that is to the original, but I always wished they did the same thing in the dub, as it is a really great line and helps to define who Kazuma is.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

I remember in the fansub version Kazuma would call Ryuhou a b***h on several ocasions. I don't know how true that is to the original, but I always wished they did the same thing in the dub, as it is a really great line and helps to define who Kazuma is.

Kazuma calling Ryuhou a Cocky Bastard fits better. I like the Dub verson of s-CRY-ed better, I mean The most of the Japanese actors didn't fit their roles.
PMCRW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
Screw Cartoon Network. They need to grow balls and not edit so much and forget trying to appeal to the masses and start appealing to Anime as a culture. Also Anime Network needs to get its ass in gear and start showing up in more areas. I don't know how many petitions i've signed. Frankly i lost all faith in American television especially when it comes to showing Anime.

Boycott Cartoon Network! Don"t watch scryed or Escaflowne when they air and especially don't watch naruto. If you do you're a loser. Fansubs & satelite for life.

@NICO
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
Congradulations, PMCRW. You've said the same piece of random hate at least twice and are even going so far as to insulting non-"otaku"

Face it, CN is pwning with this. Same with Geneon. Deal.

Oh, I don't know if anybody mentioned this yet, but for those who don't know, The Esca movie is an alternate version of the Esca series, similar to the Rayearths.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
PMCRW wrote:
Screw Cartoon Network. They need to grow balls and not edit so much and forget trying to appeal to the masses and start appealing to Anime as a culture. Also Anime Network needs to get its ass in gear and start showing up in more areas. I don't know how many petitions i've signed. Frankly i lost all faith in American television especially when it comes to showing Anime.

BOYCOTT CARTOON NETWORK! DON"T WATCH SCRYED OR ESCAFLOWNE WHEN THEY AIR AND ESPECIALLY DON'T WATCH NARUTO. IF YOU DO YOU'RE A LOSER. FANSUBS & SATELITE FOR LIFE.

@NICO

You realy have no understanding of Brodcast standers and pratices on Cartoon Network. Adult Swim may nolonger be considered part of Cartoon Network by Nelision, but they still have sertan practices thay must follow regarding Nudity and very strong lanauge like S**t and F**k. By not know this and saying random stuff with out knowing how it works you did nothing but make yourself look like an idoit. Think about things like this before you post them. Ok Wink.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
PMCRW wrote:
BOYCOTT CARTOON NETWORK! DON"T WATCH SCRYED OR ESCAFLOWNE WHEN THEY AIR AND ESPECIALLY DON'T WATCH NARUTO. IF YOU DO YOU'RE A LOSER. FANSUBS & SATELITE FOR LIFE.

@NICO

Fansubs? They don't give any credit to the creators. Satelite? Not everyone can afford satelite. Anyway, a lot people are going to watch it even if they don't favor cut anime just because it's a chance to watch it. What other common way is there other than buying/renting it?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
PMCRW wrote:
They need to grow balls and not edit so much

So have you EVER actually watched Adult Swim? I mean, it's obvious you haven't, but I figured I'd be nice and ask.

PMCRW wrote:
and forget trying to appeal to the masses and start appealing to Anime as a culture.

What "culture?" Greasy, slobbering otaku who pitch hissy fits about "teh ignorant MASSES!!!!!11111" like you? "Anime as a culture" is laughable; cartoons produced in Japan of widely varying genre & target demographic do not constitute a culture within themselves.

PMCRW wrote:
BOYCOTT CARTOON NETWORK! DON"T WATCH SCRYED OR ESCAFLOWNE WHEN THEY AIR AND ESPECIALLY DON'T WATCH NARUTO.

Yeah, sorry, I've already made it a point to check out Escaflowne & Scryed. I haven't seen them and I'm absolutely certain Adult Swim will handle them as wonderfully as they've handled Wolf's Rain, Big O, Witch Hunter Robin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Inu-Yasha, etc. before them.

And Naruto...despite fanboys pulling the usual Chicken Little act, there's not that much in the show that needs editing. It'll air on Toonami just fine without any corruption or compromising of the story or characters.

PMCRW wrote:
FANSUBS & SATELITE FOR LIFE.

"For life." Wow, how long has it been since I heard that one?

Fansubs...right, no. No substitute for the professional thing, and way to slap the original producers in the face, too.

Satellite...yeah, how the hell do you think I'm watching Cartoon Network in the first place?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hiromi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree that what PMCRW said was the most stupidest thing ever. But aren't you guys being harsh about Fansubs? Fun sub are the way most good anime that aren't picked up Stateside. Sure nothing compares to licenced stuff, but there alot of good stuff out there done by the fansub comm.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hiromi wrote:
I agree that what PMCRW said was the most stupidest thing ever. But aren't you guys being harsh about Fansubs? Fun sub are the way most good anime that aren't picked up Stateside. Sure nothing compares to licenced stuff, but there alot of good stuff out there done by the fansub comm.

Let's NOT make this a pro-fansub vs. anti-fansub battle PLEASE. I'm pro-fansub (I also buy the DVDs of the series I watch via fansub when they come out on DVD), but I'm not going to say anything more. We've had enough battles here about fansubs, and they are NEVER resolved. So, let's stop going off on what the troll said and get back to the topic at hand . . .

unless y'all want a mod to go through and start deleting derailing posts OR lock the thread.

anyway, back to Scry-ed and Escaflowne . . .
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3