• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animerica to Change Format

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, thats pretty sweet seeing as how I JUST got a subscription to Animerica like a month ago and I've received only ONE issue so far, nice of them to let me know beforehand so I could spend my money on another magazine.

So, they will give subscribers a choice to switch to another publication? Seriously, they should let people know these things before they take your money, what a rip.
OtakuAne1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, boyfriend and I saw this thread and we're throughly confused. How is Animerica changing their format? Is this all speculation because of the upcoming release of Shojo Beat?

He and I poured over the entire Animerica site during the past hour and we found nothing to state that they were getting rid of the magazine, which is what everyone else posting here is indicating. So what exactly is going on? Are they going back to their original format (which we both loved); are they getting rid of Animerica Extra (which if this is the case, why not say extra instead of just Animerica), or what?

If possible, can someone please provide a link that has this information? We get our Animerica at the local comic shop, so if it is going away, we want to make sure we cancel our pull from there. We might consider getting NTUSA instead if that's the case.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
OtakuAne1, all of the topics in the Talkback forum come directly from the front page. The info you want is right here. And BTW, they already canceled Animerica Extra back in December. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote
You said it yourself; Thiers a variety of other companies out there; so why are they not using images from those other companies (and not in the reviews mind you)?[/quote]

Wait, i'm not following you here ...now you're saying that they're only using images from ADV?

April 2005's issue has the following for reviews:

New Getter Robo
(Geneon) - 1 publicity still, 4 screen shots. FULL PAGE.
Gunslinger Girl (Funimation) - 2 publicity stills, 3 screen shots. FULL PAGE.
Overman King Gainer (Bandai) - Lead review; 1 publicity still, 5, count 'em FIVE screen shots.

Gravion Zwei was the only ADV full-page review that month, and it matched the OKG review in picture quanity.

So in other words, three full page reviews from companies other than ADV, another half-page review for Geneon, 1/4 page review for the other ADV review, another 1/4 for Media Blasters.

Now I suppose you'll say that Play is Geneon-biased.

Point is, you can't stick with one company- you'll get the others cheesed off and they stop sending screeners, and then everyone notices. They're fair, but when you only have so many companies and only so much room, someone's bound to have one more review than the others. It happens. It doesn't mean they're playing favorites.
Number Six

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
I guess this explains Jan Kurotaki's jump from Animerica to NewtypeUSA.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Although I used to prefer Animerica to Anime Insider or Newtype, I think some major change for Animerica was inevitable. Since they did the format (and editor-in-chief) change a few months ago, the overall quality of the magazine has dropped a bit and the caliber of editing has fallen off a cliff. Although the feature articles are still done well, some of the recent reviews have been horribly written; one in the last issue was so bad on writing quality that it was painful to read. Even amateur reviews have certain expectations of writing and editing quality if they're going to make print, and this one didn't come close.

Hmm. Never been much of a fan of Anime Insider (except for their "Last Man Standing" feature) because I don't care for the irreverent style, but I was never a fan of Wizard, either. Guess that'll have to be my main mag from now on, though. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't bought Animerica in the longest. The last major format change was enough to render the publication completely useless.

...But now that it's going to be free, if quarterly, I see no reason not to resume my readership. Anime hyper
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
You could always just not buy an anime magazine period and find what you want through other means.
HenshinPimp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:

No, it doesn't...
Number Six

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
HenshinPimp wrote:
Number Six wrote:

No, it doesn't...

Well, OK, so the reason is...?
biliano

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Camman wrote:
So, they will give subscribers a choice to switch to another publication? Seriously, they should let people know these things before they take your money, what a rip.

I just received my latest issue of Animerica in the mail today (Issue #13-5, May 2005), and included was the following letter:

Animerica letter wrote:
Dear Animerica subscriber,

Animerica will be evolving into a convention-only publication after the June issue, and will no longer be available via subscription.

Your Animerica subscription will be completed with our awesome new magazine, Shojo Beat. In case you already subscribe to Shojo Beat, your remaining issues will be added to your subscription.

Shojo Beat is a brand new title packed with six of the hottest shojo manga titles from Japan, as well as the latest on Japanese culture, art, music and fashion, plus industry updates, contests, interviews, and much more. You're going to love it! Your first issue will arrive in the mail around June 21.

You'd be crazy not to check out Shojo Beat, but if you prefer a refund for the remainder of your Animerica subscription, please contact us in one of the following ways:

Send an e-mail that states you would like a refund for your Animerica subscription to [email protected]

Or write to us at:
Shojo Beat Customer Service
P.O. Box 438
Mount Morris, IL 61054-0438

Or call 1-800-541-7876

The Animerica staff thanks you for your support over the years. We'll see you at the conventions!
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I looked at some of the titles that ANN said were going to be serialized in Shoujo Beat, and I don't think it's my type of genre. I can do shoujo, but some of the stuff in there might just take me out cold. Still though, I won't be able to resist going to Borders and checking it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3