• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magica the Gathering

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:
Dear Erin, here's some good news for you to know. Hayate does have an English dub but sadly it only airs on Animax Asia. But the dub is very good and the english jokes were funny as well (bonus points for the fact the narrator for the dub is British and sounds like the Fourth Doctor!) Thank Red Angel Media (the studio that did the english dub) for their good work.

Hopefully you can have a friend who lives in South East Asia record the show for you and watch it.

What! That's totally annoying! That should totally be on the Bandai discs...!

Wow, your really angry about this. Maybe i shouldn't mention the first 3 seasons of Maria Watches Over Us are also dub in english on Animax Asia as well.......Wait. Shocked I just did that.

Oh crap.

Ahh yes, the Animax English dub for Marimite! I heard one episode of it, and it was so utterly awkward with weird inflections, no-regard to lip flaps, and fairly dull voices. I can imagine this is what Odex-quality dubs are like.
blogofthenorthstar.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Erin does great work here week after week, but not reviewing Fist of the North Star: The TV Series Vol 2 is almost... UNFORGIVABLE.

It's pretty nicely discounted on Amazon @ $36.99, and $35.99 @ Rightstuf. For 36 episodes, it's a great deal, and the remastered video looks loads better than the streaming versions of the show.
Aphtorshok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or are Erin's reviews MariMite absolutely hilarious? And this is coming from a fan of the show.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Maramite: huge fan of the show. I have to get my fix of Yumi as it comes out. I just love these characters and am genuinely interested in where this all goes.

Hayate: I got hooked on this via the cut rate Bandai disc releases. A good and correct dub for this seem to be a way to lose piles of cash in a rapid way. I love my dubs, but this one does not warrant it in this economic climate.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
All shelf obsessed submissions should be required to include a cat from now on.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
I love the Rental Magica anime to death but I always agree when someone says it is forgettable. To this day, I hardly ever think of it unless someone else mentions it. Then I am all "Oh yeah, l love that anime."

I think what would help me remember better, would be if they released the Novels. With all the supernatual craze in the book world these days it might stand a chance, aslong as you can educate people on the many different types of magic presented in maybe some kind of editors notes in the back. So what do you say Yen Press?

Also, I do like how rightstuf has been giving us extra's even when the other companies stopped for awhile. Even though I would love dubs from some of their shows, Rightstuf is still a good licensor. They might want to consider picking up Minami-ke if they are reading this.

Alright I am done plugging for licenses, kinda got off track. Great reviews this week.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Copyedit: When you suggest tea in Marimite, you suggest we have water boiling water ready. I think you probably have one too many waters.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Quote:
I wish Hayate had a dub with an adapted script so I get more of the jokes.

Dear Erin, here's some good news for you to know. Hayate does have an English dub but sadly it only airs on Animax Asia. But the dub is very good and the english jokes were funny as well (bonus points for the fact the narrator for the dub is British and sounds like the Fourth Doctor!) Thank Red Angel Media (the studio that did the english dub) for their good work.

Hopefully you can have a friend who lives in South East Asia record the show for you and watch it.

I think what he meant to say (if you read a bit further) is that he wishes that Hayate have its own North American English dub. He may have heard about the Animax Asia dub, but he thinks that the North American industry could pull it off better.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Hayate: I got hooked on this via the cut rate Bandai disc releases. A good and correct dub for this seem to be a way to lose piles of cash in a rapid way. I love my dubs, but this one does not warrant it in this economic climate.

Economically speaking, I think Hayate is a show that can be pulled off with a very good English dub (if we are not in a recession). However, the problem is Bandai's incompetency. They really haven't learned that releasing anime in singles in 3-7 episodes is out of favor by many fans and seen to be less economical nowadays. When I heard about K-ON! being licensed and being released with an English dub with a few new talents (I believe Stephanie Sheh is only "veteran" that is announced to be in the English dub), I was really ecstatic. However, after I heard that they are releasing this 13 episode series in four parts (roughly 3-4 episodes per disk), I realize they are pretty much repeating the very same mistake with Lucky Star (which was released in 8 parts) and realize that Bandai is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot. This, along with them constantly delaying their releases made me reconsider about supporting Bandai (note that I'm buying Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 as means of supporting Bang Zoom! only now).

Last edited by Dark Paladin X on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
However, the problem is Bandai's incompetency. They really haven't learned that releasing anime in singles in 3-7 episodes is out of favor by many fans and seen to be less economical nowadays.

I have a feeling it has less to do with a company's competence and more to do with either their business plan for K-On! or legal requirements set down to them by the original licensor. If ANN ever gets a Bandai person on for another ANNCast interview, it would be a great question. From listening to ANNCasts in the past the singles that still get released are done because they have to, for one of the reasons listed above. The show is getting a dub, maybe they want to get some episodes out and generating revenue while they continue to dub the other ones.

Yes, I too get a little annoyed at the Hayate release strategy and prices, but I wait for a TRSI sale and continue to buy them. (what that says about me is a whole other topic though Smile )
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's odd. The animation in RM is pretty bleh, if you ask me. Hell, I've never heard anybody compliment its animation until now, tbh, or even call it anywhere near "high budget," once I think about it. :/
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I own all 4 seasons of Marimite and am a big fan of the show, but my one beef with Season 4 is it felt like the drama between Yumi and Toko dragged out too long - I was hoping for more beyond the conclusion of this issue. Oh, and if anyone from Right Stuf is reading this, PLEASE LICENSE THE LIVE ACTION SHOW! I would SO buy that!

I look forward to the review of FotNS - to give you an idea of my diverse tastes, I am a big fan of the new release of the TV series. Which reminds me, I still gotta pick up the second collection now that it is available!

I would be careful in regards to Animax Asia dubs though. Most of the ones I have been exposed to have been pretty bad - I just saw a clip from their K-On! dub, and it is pretty awful. Thank goodness I will be able to buy a legitimate dub featuring one of my all-time dub favorites in Stephanie Sheh - and on blu-Ray no less! Very Happy
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
However, the problem is Bandai's incompetency. They really haven't learned that releasing anime in singles in 3-7 episodes is out of favor by many fans and seen to be less economical nowadays.

I have a feeling it has less to do with a company's competence and more to do with either their business plan for K-On! or legal requirements set down to them by the original licensor. If ANN ever gets a Bandai person on for another ANNCast interview, it would be a great question. From listening to ANNCasts in the past the singles that still get released are done because they have to, for one of the reasons listed above. The show is getting a dub, maybe they want to get some episodes out and generating revenue while they continue to dub the other ones.

That could be another possibility. I think this could be a great question to ask to a Bandai representative if there was another ANNCast interview. I could understand Bandai's point of view on releasing singles like this way as means of covering the dubbing costs. However, the Japanese business model of releasing anime in singles of 3-4 episodes doesn't not work in United States, because fans demand more episodes in a set cheaply and save more shelf space. Heck, even Funimation is smart enough to release a 13-episode series in a single set with an English dub for around $60 MSRP (although someone may argue the dubs made by Funimation being non-union is the reasoning that Funimation can do something like this).

But that doesn't give the excuse on releasing Hayate in singles without an English dub and charge at the same price as if the show had a dub. I think we really need to tell the Japanese companies that the idea of releasing anime in DVD singles is not an effective business model in United States.

Aw well, I find Aniplex USA how they handled and packaged Durarara!! to be a better deal than how Bandai handled K-ON! and Hayate the Combat Butler, but a bit behind when compared to Funimation.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Economically speaking, I think Hayate is a show that can be pulled off with a very good English dub (if we are not in a recession). However, the problem is Bandai's incompetency. They really haven't learned that releasing anime in singles in 3-7 episodes is out of favor by many fans and seen to be less economical nowadays. When I heard about K-ON! being licensed and being released with an English dub with a few new talents (I believe Stephanie Sheh is only "veteran" that is announced to be in the English dub), I was really ecstatic.

K-on!'s Japanese main cast, except Aki Toyosaki (Yui)and Asami Sanada (Sawako) are all relative newcomers. Original cast are all newbies, why not the same for the English. Using new people for big shows is a good thing, it gets the name of the up and coming VA out there if they do a good job.
CaptainFalcon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Economically speaking, I think Hayate is a show that can be pulled off with a very good English dub (if we are not in a recession). However, the problem is Bandai's incompetency. They really haven't learned that releasing anime in singles in 3-7 episodes is out of favor by many fans and seen to be less economical nowadays. When I heard about K-ON! being licensed and being released with an English dub with a few new talents (I believe Stephanie Sheh is only "veteran" that is announced to be in the English dub), I was really ecstatic.

K-on!'s Japanese main cast, except Aki Toyosaki (Yui)and Asami Sanada (Sawako) are all relative newcomers. Original cast are all newbies, why not the same for the English. Using new people for big shows is a good thing, it gets the name of the up and coming VA out there if they do a good job.

Well in the english cast Cristina Vee (Lyrical Nanoha, quite a few games like Sakura Taisen, BlazBlue, and Rune Factory Frontier) was cast as Mio in K-ON!
utawoutau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to get around the fact that both of these two statements were included in the review of MariaMite.

Quote:
I'm not saying Maria-sama is as boring as salt, but there is an episode where the dramatic ending hinges on protagonist Yumi deciding not to fret about something anymore.

If nothing else, the world of Maria-sama is surprisingly engrossing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3