• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TAN on COX on Demand

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
VOD is an extra channel you pay about $10-15 a month for.

Actually most VOD is free, with movies being pay-per-view, although some providers will charge a fee. It's free on Time Warner, and I believe on Cox as well.

Michi wrote:
I'd like for them to at least switch it up. Offer something in both languages, other things in just English, other things in just Japanese. I dunno. SOMETHING.

They did an experiment with New Fist of the North Star on both the linear and VOD channel to judge popularity. From what I understand, it's success will determine future sub only offerings.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
yeah you think they would use the secondary audio channel for the jp audio and the Close captions or something for the subs.

I'd like for them to at least switch it up. Offer something in both languages, other things in just English, other things in just Japanese. I dunno. SOMETHING. It just sucks to have everything dub only. =/ I'm getting used to it, but arrrrr. I like choices. Rolling Eyes

I know that the US HDTV programming standard can multicast up to 4 separate programs on the same frequency from a station when they aren't using the bandwidth on a movie to stream 5.1 channel audio. They can do multicast audio on analogue TV, but it won't be as clear as singlecast audio on a program. (That's why Digital TV stations have a number like 19.1 or 10.2)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Actually most VOD is free, with movies being pay-per-view, although some providers will charge a fee. It's free on Time Warner, and I believe on Cox as well.

That is correct, VOD with Cox is free, you only pay for the movie/tv show you wish to watch for the next 24 hrs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

I know that the US HDTV programming standard can multicast up to 4 separate programs on the same frequency from a station when they aren't using the bandwidth on a movie to stream 5.1 channel audio.

Actually it's the digital broadcast standard. They can broadcast one HDTV channel, or up to 4 standard def channels simultaneously.
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
While Cox is a big cable operator, TAN is still going up as an on-demand channel. I think it would be much bigger news if TAN cut a deal with Cox for a scheduled linear cable feed, which could put TAN in the basic or 2nd-tier service and greatly expand its audience. (^_*)

Are you serious? The National Geographic Channel, G4, and so many other channels that you get in the normal package on satellite reside on the 3rd tiers of Cox. I should know, I get Cox. The only way we are getting the National Geographic Channel right now is because Cox is having a fight with the owners of the local NBC network and we aren't getting NBC which is a little irritating. An hour and a half away, another town isn't getting CBS because they are owned by the same people. Trust me, Cox is going to charge an arm and a leg for this service. You will probably have to go through 3 tiers before being able to get it. On the other hand, this just shows how West TX is improving after I decided to move. Oh well.

Anime_Freak wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

That is correct, VOD with Cox is free, you only pay for the movie/tv show you wish to watch for the next 24 hrs.

When you say VOD is free, do you mean that the ability to use it is free? For the most part, it should be. As long as you have been upgraded to digital cable (Cox did this a couple of years ago in my area... boy, was that fun...), you should be able to use it. To my knowledge, you pay for the services afterwards. I thought TAN was a big package together that you paid for monthly no matter how much you watched it, but leave it to Cox to charge you for each ep. Am I bitter? Yes. Cox has perfected the method of not letting you talk to a live human being. They also blame their slow internet connections of random things and usually don't have knowledgable staff. And I mean, come on! Get over the fight with NBC and CBS!

Ok, I said my piece.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:

When you say VOD is free, do you mean that the ability to use it is free? For the most part, it should be. As long as you have been upgraded to digital cable (Cox did this a couple of years ago in my area... boy, was that fun...), you should be able to use it. To my knowledge, you pay for the services afterwards.

No, we are talking free as in no extra charge at all to use the service. VOD is free on Time Warner. (except for movies which are PPV and of course premium channels on demand) As long as you have digital cable, it costs nothing for the service or to use it. From what I read on the Cox website, their service is the same.

"Do I need to purchase or lease any new equipment to access Entertainment on Demand from Cox?
You already have everything you need with your Cox Digital Cable set top! With no equipment to buy and no monthly service fee, Entertainment On Demand from Cox Communications offers the latest in convenience and innovative technology to our digital cable customers – accessed conveniently through your existing Cox Digital Cable set top box.

How much does Cox Entertainment On Demand cost?
Certain portions of the EOD service are available to Cox Digital Cable subscribers at no additional cost, while movies generally cost $3.95. Special events, such as concerts or sporting events, will be available at higher price points."
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
You guys do know that it is something like 75% of Anime Fans watch it dub only? I don't remember where I read that, but it was in a magazine in my College libary.

Hermph, some "fans."

Ha. Yeah. Go to hell.

This seems like great news to me. It's been quite on the TAN news front for a while. I was getting worried. Glad to know they're still making progress.
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
You guys do know that it is something like 75% of Anime Fans watch it dub only? I don't remember where I read that, but it was in a magazine in my College libary.

Hermph, some "fans."

Ha. Yeah. Go to hell.

I agree. Better yet, go to Best Buy and get the DVDs if you're so intent on watching it in Japanese.

Luckily I'm in one of the Cox Cable markets where EOD is available, so we should expect it sooner than later. Surprisingly, [url=http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=76341&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=684229&]
the Anime Network deal was inked about a month ago, around the same time they made an announcement that WWE 24/7, WWE's on demand service, would be on Cox Cable markets soon.[/url] It puzzles me why the Anime Network waited about a month before announcing it in their press release.

- J
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
This sucks, EoD isn't even available in my area. (Greater Louisiana)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
MephistoSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Cox will be charging $6.25 per month for TAN on demand.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
MephistoSan wrote:
Quote:

Wow! That's about what it costs to rent ONE anime DVD in my area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote
MephistoSan wrote:
Quote:

Wow, that's actually pretty good. I wonder if I have the service in my area? Probably not since West Texas is so neglected.

Well, I'm also fixing to move, so I guess it doesn't matter, and I'm moving into my mom's house, and she has satellite, and satellite can't do that. Oh well... I don't think a cable provider has TAN anyway. She lives in Ft Lauderdale. Anybody know?

Plus, I like to watch most of my anime in Japanese with subs, unless the subs are so bad you can't read them due to bg color. And, yes, before anybody gets moody and tells me to go buy my Anime at Best Buy, I rent my anime for this very reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2