• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
One Piece got a huge bump from the fact that it has 60 volumes. The same with Naruto and Bleach.

Poor FMA. It only had a handful of volumes released this year, and only 27 volumes compared to the 40/50/60+ blockbusters that make up the Big 3. It would've trampled Bleach if they were on equal footing though.
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
One Piece got a huge bump from the fact that it has 60 volumes. The same with Naruto and Bleach.

Poor FMA. It only had a handful of volumes released this year, and only 27 volumes compared to the 40/50/60+ blockbusters that make up the Big 3. It would've trampled Bleach if they were on equal footing though.

You're right if you look at this article animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2010-part-1

FMA has higher sales per recent Volumes than that of Naruto and Bleach but not a huge gap, only a thousands. But compare the sales of the top 5 to FMA, you can clearly say it's not only because One Piece has 60 volumes because there is larger gap between the two.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
And now Fairy Tail just needs to sell more than Naruto, and everything will be right in the world.

Never going to happen, only reason it ranked so high for 2010 is because the anime has drawn in a lot of new fans and they're buying the reprinted volumes 1-to whatever.

Same deal for Mago.
Taker128

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Right, recent volume sales is more indicative of series' popularity. Take away OP which is in the ridiculous category by itself and is obvious that FMA is on par as Naruto in popularity. Too bad the series ended earlier this year. On the other hand with conclusion of Nodame Part 1 and Nana's pregnant break, Kimi ni Todoke is clearly the top Shojo right now.

As side note, Shojo manga is incrediblely popular in Asia, while not as widespread as Shonen category-wise, it has larger market than Senin manga except that Shojo manga rarely has long running series and most of their magazines are monthly or bi-monthly compare to shonen magazines which are weekly or bi-weekly.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Same deal for Mago.

Well, it's like everything on that list is either airing or aired in 2010. Although I didn't know the anime could boost the manga sales this much.

I'd say the sales per volume one is a better way to compare the popularity, though.
Glad to see Fairy Fail Mago's popularity boosted. That should help FF keep airing, and perhaps bring Mago's second season around (can't wait to see this character animated).
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Scormio wrote:
And now Fairy Tail just needs to sell more than Naruto, and everything will be right in the world.

Never going to happen, only reason it ranked so high for 2010 is because the anime has drawn in a lot of new fans and they're buying the reprinted volumes 1-to whatever.

Same deal for Mago.

Maybe not never, but the chances aren't likely, I know.

And yeah I assumed that the anime had something to do with the rather large back reprint sales. I'm hopeful it'll get picked up and in English soon.
MnL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

One Piece got a huge bump this year because of Strong World, I think. But even without that film, it still would be Number 1, 'cause GODA is AWESOME!

And FMA is actually the most selling series (shounen) behind One Piece, it sells more than Naruto. It's just that in one year there are 6 new Naruto volumes coming out and only 3 for FMA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2