• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dirty Pair Sub.DVD Boxset 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

As for the review, I don't feel that its a personal attack I feel that ANN's review crew's open cynicism against the franchise will alienate newer otaku from giving the series a shot and I fear that harsh reviews like this will only make TRSI feel as if they wasted money on aqcuiring an old,rare and valuable license that never saw light of day in America during the late 1980s and 90s when it really could have become a sucessful franchise.

Your concerns are valid, but I think you're putting way too much thought into this.

1-A couple arguably valid criticisms against the show shouldn't constitute as the whole "ANN's review crew". I mean Erin more or less gave it an ok, Justin really liked Project Eden as posted in his Buried Treasure column, and Mike's pretty much jumping up and down singing this show's praises on this very thread. So yeah, this isn't exaclty a hater fest here.

2-What exactly do you mean by "open cynisism"? As apposed to "closed cynisism"? I mean, why shouldn't Carlos admit in his review, "this show hasn't aged well", "this show doesn't appeal to me", or "I don't think this show really fits in current anime culture except as a nostalgia piece". Carlos isn't trying to make sales pitch by sounding nicer, because that isn't good journalism, and I really doubt that TRSI would want to strain any relation with ANN by having that happen. Yet at the same time, he isn't saying "DON'T BUY THIS!!!".

3-It's not like ANN is the be all end all when it comes to anime reviews. Certainly there are lots of other sites and places that a smart anime fan can browse to compare and contrast, and form their own opinion. To paraphrase Zac on the forum's response to an infamous Death Note review, "I bet to some Dirty Pair's better than sex" Very Happy

Really sorry to go on like that and I hope I didn't sound rude to you or anything, just wanted to get my perspective in when things like this happen here

Last edited by Shenl742 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
I understand and respect your opinion and all of the points you've made.

But a C- score that Carlo gave is simply too harsh also he rarely found any good merits or positive points about the show.

Didn't sound very fair and decent, just sounded a little too one demensional.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
I don't agree with this review at all, and "nostalgia" has nothing to do with it. I only watched Dirty Pair last year, and I really, really enjoyed it.

Women Being Awesome is one of the main things I look for in anime, and Kei and Yuri were being totally competent, kick-ass women years before anyone else. Don't let their space bikinis fool you, they are always smart and tough in the face of the many crazy situations they get into.

By contrast, if I'm supposed to feel nostalgia for anything it would be Dirty Pair Flash, which (many years ago) was one of my earliest anime purchases. However, I can now say that Flash is completely and totally inferior to the original DP.

Quote:
The theme songs, too, are typical space-fillers with their midtempo rock beats and simple but forgettable melodies.

I beg to differ. Ru-Ru-Ru-Russian Roulette is one of the catchiest anime OPs of my acquaintance. Uchuu Ren'ai is great too.

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Quote:
The theme songs, too, are typical space-fillers with their midtempo rock beats and simple but forgettable melodies.

I beg to differ. Ru-Ru-Ru-Russian Roulette is one of the catchiest anime OPs of my acquaintance. Uchuu Ren'ai is great too.

I'd agree. The CD-single with the OP/ED themes (one of those awesome 3" ones!) was one of the first anime CDs that I bought (my first CD purchase, but I think that I bought two or three others with it) back in 1991 in LA's Little Tokyo, just after I first got interested in anime. I think that I'd seen a very small amount of Dirty Pair, probably raw on tape, and fell in love with the opening theme song. It's a great piece of music, but I'll admit that the nostalgia of it being a first purchase might bump up my enthusiasm for it a bit more. ^_^;;
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Quote:

I'd agree. The CD-single with the OP/ED themes (one of those awesome 3" ones!) was one of the first anime CDs that I bought (my first CD purchase, but I think that I bought two or three others with it) back in 1991 in LA's Little Tokyo, just after I first got interested in anime. I think that I'd seen a very small amount of Dirty Pair, probably raw on tape, and fell in love with the opening theme song. It's a great piece of music, but I'll admit that the nostalgia of it being a first purchase might bump up my enthusiasm for it a bit more. Anime smile;;

I love Ru-Ru Russian Roulette, its a very 80s hard rock theme, its one of my top 3 anime opening themes with KareKano's "Tenshi Wo Yubikiri"(1998) and Kaleido Star:New Wings Tattoo Kiss(2000,2003).
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Really sick of the pretentious reviews here written by really elitist fans. This website is pretty notorious for in fact. I once mentioned that I didn't like highly opinionated elitist anime reviews, and someone immediately mentioned the reviews on this site. At some point, I think I'm going to need to just look at the newsfeed so I don't have to bother seeing some of this nonsense. Its unfortunate there isn't a similar news site minus the ultra obnoxious editorial work that is published here. I would certainly jump on it in a heart beat.

As for the staff here replying to this thread telling people to respect the opinions of their friends on the staff, if you can trash a beloved classic, we can certainly trash the obnoxious reviews here. This site's output in the review department doesn't merit or deserve any kind of respect. They have honestly never helped me in my buying decisions ever. I'm honestly glad I took all of them with a huge grain of salt, because I constantly find some of my favorites are shows that got panned by this website. I do find completely tilted reviews to also be a disservice because some people watch things for other reasons than the reviewers at this website do. First and foremost I think would be entertainment.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

As for the staff here replying to this thread telling people to respect the opinions of their friends on the staff, if you can trash a beloved classic, we can certainly trash the obnoxious reviews here. This site's output in the review department doesn't merit or deserve any kind of respect. They have honestly never helped me in my buying decisions ever. I'm honestly glad I took all of them with a huge grain of salt, because I constantly find some of my favorites are shows that got panned by this website. I do find completely tilted reviews to also be a disservice because some people watch things for other reasons than the reviewers at this website do. First and foremost I think would be entertainment.

Reign it in pal. Because honestly you're sounding pretty obnoxious and elitist yourself.

Instead of outright trashing the review, you could just make a frank, calm argument against it.

I mean, it's not against the forum reviews to disagree with the reviews, at all. You're just coming in here and saying the ENTIRE editorial staff is worthless, which just sounds extremely immature to me.

So the reviewers haven't been favorable to "every" series you like, so they haven't "helped" you on any purchases you've made. They're not made specifically for you, but for everyone as a whole.

And I think your claim that the reviewers here tend to be "tilted against "stuff who's main purpose is to just entertain" is also pretty shaky because...well look at Zac's Yamato review. It more or less says "This ain't high art, but it sets out to just be entertaining and it succeeds". Really, a lot of the reviewers here have their own aims in what they consider good. Hell, as was said before several other reviewers here have said they liked Dirty Pair. I really don't think there's a enough "hate" for any one thing to take it against the whole site. Hell, Carlos' review here doesn't even sound that hateful or dismissive really, unless you're reading something in the writing he's using that I'm not.

And finally, don't take it personally if someone disses something you like, even if they make a broad generalization. It just ends up to some really non-productive irritation that can be better used simply discussing something.

And that's all I really have, think about it won't you?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well I'm very personally mortified by Carlo's review. To me, it sounds as if he truely does not find Dirty Pair at least half decent and FYI, I am not on a rampage against the entire reviewing staff here, but I am expressing my right to protest Carlo's negetive and harsh review on a anime that I truely and personally love. Why? Because I know that there are people that actually believe everything that he tells them who will overlook the series.

I don't want Dirty Pair to fall into obsurity, I want it to be recieved well.

Besides, I find it inexcusable for anyone to be defending this review when there was not a single positive thing he said about this release.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Dirty Pair isn't going to fall into obscurity because of one review. To think so is absolutely silly

As is thinking the review has no value just because the reviewer doesn't like something you like.

Carlos' review basically boils down too, "Dirty Pair has decent production values but content wise it it just doesn't stand the test of time, and will probably only be found lacking by those who aren't nostalgia hunters". That's pretty much a valid criticism right there, no real way you can slice it.

You guys are pretty much treating the review as though he's going, "This ****ing series is a piece of **** that only stupid, old school ****tards would like it. Why the **** would any like this? I mean, LOL, girls are so lame, GIVE ME MORE NARUTOS!!!"
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Even though I've only seen the OP and some screenshots I can already disagree about the "dated" designs. I usually prefer 80's character designs to more "modern" (read: radish shaped heads and anorectic bodies) ones.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Even though I've only seen the OP and some screenshots I can already disagree about the "dated" designs. I usually prefer 80's character designs to more "modern" (read: radish shaped heads and anorectic bodies) ones.

I agree, there's nothing nostalgic about Dirty Pair. I think Carlo used the wrong term to describe it. Dirty Pair is lots of fun and charming, but not for everyone.

That would have been a better way of putting it.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Dirty Pair isn't going to fall into obscurity because of one review. To think so is absolutely silly

As is thinking the review has no value just because the reviewer doesn't like something you like.

Carlos' review basically boils down too, "Dirty Pair has decent production values but content wise it it just doesn't stand the test of time, and will probably only be found lacking by those who aren't nostalgia hunters". That's pretty much a valid criticism right there, no real way you can slice it.

You guys are pretty much treating the review as though he's going, "This ****ing series is a piece of **** that only stupid, old school ****tards would like it. Why the **** would any like this? I mean, LOL, girls are so lame, GIVE ME MORE NARUTOS!!!"

Dirty Pair has never been available in the US. What the hek would it have to do with nostalgia for most viewers? Basically the nostalgia argument is just a way so the reviewer can be as condescending as possible. Its basically telling people the reasons they say they enjoy it are not true and they're only being foold by nostalgia. But that's rather typical of the reviews here to contain some similar kind of garbage.

And some shows don't need continuing plots. I'm not one of those people who can't watch certain American shows or cartoons that are like that. There are definitely some snooty fans who think anything without continuing plot-arcs is automatically trash and a disservice to the animu-tradition.

Last edited by jsyxx on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Dirty Pair has never been available in the US. What the hek would it have to do with nostalgia for most viewers?

You're mistaken, sir. The Dirty Pair were introduced to American audiences in 1988, with Adam Warren and Toren Smith's licensed comics (despite being only loosely attached to the anime and Takachiho's novels, these American comics are pretty good IMO). Streamline pictures released the Dirty Pair films on videocassette in 1993. While the TV series hasn't been commercially available, American fans have been cognizant of the characters for about 20 years.

So yeah, nostalgia absolutely plays a role in this show's appeal.

I disagree with Carlo's conclusions, but have no complaints about his review. If I agreed with most or all of the reviews I read, I'd start to worry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Dirty Pair has never been available in the US. What the hek would it have to do with nostalgia for most viewers?

You're mistaken, sir. The Dirty Pair were introduced to American audiences in 1988, with Adam Warren and Toren Smith's licensed comics (despite being only loosely attached to the anime and Takachiho's novels, these American comics are pretty good IMO). Streamline pictures released the Dirty Pair films on videocassette in 1993. While the TV series hasn't been commercially available, American fans have been cognizant of the characters for about 20 years.

So yeah, nostalgia absolutely plays a role in this show's appeal.

I disagree with Carlo's conclusions, but have no complaints about his review. If I agreed with most or all of the reviews I read, I'd start to worry.

This tv show has never been here. So nostalgia doesn't explain why people would enjoy this one in particular, becasue they didn't watch it eons ago. If you can get away with giving this the nostalgia tag just based on franchise association, it may as well be every older anime becuae the animation and character designs look simlar, are familar to something else, etc. It's just weak.

And even so its completely condescending. Nostalgia is an excuse for explaining something's popularity. You can't get away with saying Star Trek: The Original Series is popular because of nostalgia. 2/3rds of the people who are fans didn't watch it as kids. Saying its only popular because of nostalgia is akin to calling them liars for saying they enjoy someting based on its own merits, which is certainly what every single Dirty Pair fan would do.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

This tv show has never been here.

Wrong. Fansub tapes of Dirty Pair TV have been around since at least 1997. That's when I saw it for the first time. Then again you opened with "EVERY SINGLE REVIEW EVER WRITTEN FOR THIS SITE IS GARBAGE AND EVERYONE WHO WORKS HERE BURN IN HELL" so I don't think you're interested in being reasonable or even remotely polite. You're having far too much fun being a "victim", after all!

This isn't the "fly off the handle, wildly insult the reviewer and the site to the point where you're completely misrepresenting what was said in the review just so you can rage rage rage" thread. If all you're going to do is foam at the mouth and resort to nasty hyperbole and insults, I'm gonna lock this thread up.

Some people just can't handle reading things they disagree with.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4