• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Chase Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So I'm curious if trying to make PS3 access work has been dropped or not, because I just can't see myself buying a new system just to make Justin happy j/k (but Justin did make it sound like he wasn't interested in pursuing a fix for the site to work on the PS3) Wink

I'd love to if it were possible, but it's not. Flash on PS3 is so completely broken most video sites have given up trying to support it.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
So I'm curious if trying to make PS3 access work has been dropped or not, because I just can't see myself buying a new system just to make Justin happy j/k (but Justin did make it sound like he wasn't interested in pursuing a fix for the site to work on the PS3) Wink

I'd love to if it were possible, but it's not. Flash on PS3 is so completely broken most video sites have given up trying to support it.

Hi Justin, thanks for answering my question. So any comments on what androvsky said earlier?

androvsky wrote:
I'm curious about PS3 support also. Well, not the browser part, since that's Sony's fault, and they're supposed to be upgrading it soon. From what I've gathered from some odd technical discussions, the sudden flood of streaming apps (netflix, Hulu+, VUDU, lovefilm, mubi, NHL) on the PS3 are all based on HTML5, and Sony's supposed to have an SDK to make life easier for the devs.

I think everyone here who's talking about the PS3 browser is agreeing that the browser itself does need upgraded. I find the PS3 browser to be a total nightmare trying to use it for simple things like checking the online manual, let alone streaming in and of itself. Hopefully Sony's PSN division will decided to fix it and soon, or at least offer streaming sites a easier way to be accessible (but who knows - we're talking about Sony here Rolling Eyes ).
androvsky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
From what I've been able to piece together, the PS3 basically has two browsers now. There's the crappy general-purpose browser designed for five-year-old mobile phones that we all know and hate, and a very nice, HTML5 compliant browser with awesome streaming support that's currently only usable for streaming apps. I think many of the streaming apps launched since October use the new framework, netflix's PS3 app has been confirmed through interviews to use HTML5.

It's obviously not as easy to support as having your webpage simply work on a decent browser, but there should be a pretty easy SDK to work with (probably comes with a sample streaming app . The problem is getting a hold of it. ANN might not be big enough to qualify as a content provider; but as much as Sony's loosened up the PSN lately, it might be okay.

But it's yet another thing to support, and I don't know if it's worth it. I'd think it would be; you could integrate the PSN store to make charging for premium subscriptions easier. Sony would get a cut (I'm guessing), but the relatively high visibility and ease of purchasing for the users might help offset it.

On a side note, if it's based on a real HTML 5 browser, I wonder how much of the regular site would work in the app...
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
androvsky wrote:
From what I've been able to piece together, the PS3 basically has two browsers now. There's the crappy general-purpose browser designed for five-year-old mobile phones that we all know and hate, and a very nice, HTML5 compliant browser with awesome streaming support that's currently only usable for streaming apps. I think many of the streaming apps launched since October use the new framework, netflix's PS3 app has been confirmed through interviews to use HTML5.

Netflix discusses why they picked HTML5 in their Tech Blog

Quote:
It's obviously not as easy to support as having your webpage simply work on a decent browser, but there should be a pretty easy SDK to work with (probably comes with a sample streaming app . The problem is getting a hold of it. ANN might not be big enough to qualify as a content provider; but as much as Sony's loosened up the PSN lately, it might be okay.

I wonder whether Netflix is selling it or its Sony, but in any case, as fast as Hulu Plus and Vudun rolled theirs out, it seems like the Webkit-based PS3 port must be available from someone.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
My main worry here would be that PSN is charging for the SDK and they could be charging an amount that a site like ANN can't begin to afford. Netflix, Hulu+ and NFL are larger entities than ANN and should be able to absorb a larger fees for things like this verse ANN. I guess what I'm thinking here is that if it's too expensive I can't blame ANN for not begin able to pursue it Sad .

Side thought - Funimation and Anime Network, on the other hand, might be able to afford buying into something like this. Funi seems to have teamed up with Netflix, however, so there probably is more to what is going on here than is observable from the casual fan perspective, at least in my opinion.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
My main worry here would be that PSN is charging for the SDK and they could be charging an amount that a site like ANN can't begin to afford. Netflix, Hulu+ and NFL are larger entities than ANN and should be able to absorb a larger fees for things like this verse ANN. I guess what I'm thinking here is that if it's too expensive I can't blame ANN for not begin able to pursue it Sad .

Side thought - Funimation and Anime Network, on the other hand, might be able to afford buying into something like this. Funi seems to have teamed up with Netflix, however, so there probably is more to what is going on here than is observable from the casual fan perspective, at least in my opinion.

Sentai also streams a number of shows on Netflix as well. Also, Anime Network has already started switching their library from Flash to HTML5 to make it compatible with iOS and allow it to function more easily on portable devices. They started switching titles over in October. I believe the majority of their library is now in HTML5. It's also always been hit or miss with the PS3 browser. I've noticed many of the older shows on TAN play fine, while many of the newer ones, particularly the simulcasts, do not.
androvsky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

Yeah, that's entirely possible, I forgot about that part. If ANN's only charging for a couple of simulcasts, it'd take a long time to pay back what Sony's probably charging for an SDK like that. Considering you can get a PS3 devkit for $2000 now, it might not be too horrible... but I don't know.

Quote:

I fully expect Funimation to have their own streaming app relatively soon. They've been talking about a premium streaming service with social networking, and I'm sure the complete lack of their shows on Hulu+ is not a coincidence. I think Funimation could afford it on their own pretty easily, they even managed to get an FMA dynamic theme on the PSN store. They probably contracted someone else to do it, but they are listed as the publisher. I'm sure they'd have no trouble getting a streaming app put together.

As for Netflix, Funimation would probably be much more interested in having their own streaming app. The revenues would probably be higher (especially with a subscription), and it makes for a fantastic branding opportunity. And if they like the exposure Netflix gives them, they don't have to remove their shows from Netflix's streaming.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
androvsky wrote:
... And if they like the exposure Netflix gives them, they don't have to remove their shows from Netflix's streaming.
FUNimation has shown quite the willingness to stream on multiple channels, between their own Funimation.com, YouTube, ANN, the individually branded OnePiece site, downloads at the XBox store and Netflix ...

... and considering the roll-out of usable SP3 streaming from October of this year on an HTML5 base, the possibility that seems to be opening up of getting a streaming foundation that works across an updated Flash based site but also iOS, Android and SP3 is the only upbeat possible explanation I've come across for why the long delay in the roll out of their long-promised revamped site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3