• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K Anime Gets Sequel Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
You HAVE to do exposition, it's screenwriting 101. It's an absolute requirement and trying to avoid it or put it off ALWAYS leads to a mess. I literally had NO clue what the hell was going on in the first three episodes and not for lack of trying until the VERY end of 3 where Not-Yuu Kanda stops the pacing DEAD to provide an info dump. This is pretty slipshod storytelling. There are better ways to do it and the fact that it DIDN'T makes the writing come off as amateur.

Trololofl. I dunno what screenwriting class you took, but in less than half a minute and five examples, I'm going to utterly prove you wrong:

1-The Artist
2-The Empty Mirror
3-Brazil
4-Cloverfield
5-Fantasia

Just purely off the top of my head, five films that have very very little to absolutely zero exposition whatsoever. Films that practically tell nothing to the viewer, but opt to show it instead.

Now, go ahead. Tell me you HAVE to do exposition. Tell me it's screenwriting 101. Keep in mind, that this was off the top of my head. I have a very busy head. I'm certain I missed at least a hundred or two hundred more examples. Wink
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
So glad to hear about this; one of the more enjoyable shows this year in my book. I hope it comes out soon while the show is still fresh in peoples minds, I don't think it will do so well otherwise.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Now if someone can just license this and release it on BD/DVD I can float on into 2013 with a mother****ing glow of happiness.

Until then, ladies and gentlemen (and lawlzy haters), I say unto you: YEEEEEEaaaaaaahhhhh!!! Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
You HAVE to do exposition, it's screenwriting 101. It's an absolute requirement and trying to avoid it or put it off ALWAYS leads to a mess. I literally had NO clue what the hell was going on in the first three episodes and not for lack of trying until the VERY end of 3 where Not-Yuu Kanda stops the pacing DEAD to provide an info dump. This is pretty slipshod storytelling. There are better ways to do it and the fact that it DIDN'T makes the writing come off as amateur.

Trololofl. I dunno what screenwriting class you took, but in less than half a minute and five examples, I'm going to utterly prove you wrong:

1-The Artist
2-The Empty Mirror
3-Brazil
4-Cloverfield
5-Fantasia

Just purely off the top of my head, five films that have very very little to absolutely zero exposition whatsoever. Films that practically tell nothing to the viewer, but opt to show it instead.

Now, go ahead. Tell me you HAVE to do exposition. Tell me it's screenwriting 101. Keep in mind, that this was off the top of my head. I have a very busy head. I'm certain I missed at least a hundred or two hundred more examples. Wink

Showing is still exposition.

I think you're the one who failed writing class.
ushiromiya~ange~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
what i want to know is that is there going to be another person that the second season will focus on....because shiro/weissman is dead...and he was the focus of the first season Confused and we don't know that much about anna either.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
An atrocious show getting a sequel? Not surprised in the least. I always said it was going to be popular, and I am proven correct. But I wish I had been proven wrong, at least this once. I can name over a hundred titles that deserve a sequel more than this show does.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
good thing GoHands isn't the only anime studio in existence
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
An atrocious show getting a sequel? Not surprised in the least. I always said it was going to be popular, and I am proven correct. But I wish I had been proven wrong, at least this once. I can name over a hundred titles that deserve a sequel more than this show does.

Yeah but the show actually ended up being legitimately good.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Only if it somehow erased the first two god-awful episodes and also eliminated numerous characters and plot elements. Since I'm assuming that it wasn't all a dream, I am highly dubious - to say the least - as to whether it ended up being good.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Yeah but the show actually ended up being legitimately good.

Really, because you kept acting like it was terrible but enjoyable BECAUSE it was terrible.

Given how you called it the "most anime anime ever" and stuff.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Really, because you kept acting like it was terrible but enjoyable BECAUSE it was terrible.

Given how you called it the "most anime anime ever" and stuff.

It was definitely a guilty pleasure at first, and then by the end of the season, it all ended up coming together and jelling really nicely. Its not ~perfect~, but it turns out that it was actually quite well plotted and manages to juggle its overlarge cast very effectively.

It went from "This is so stupid I'm going to keep watching because it amuses me" to "This is ridiculous, but fun in a guilty pleasure sort of way" to "Hey, that was actually pretty good, when all is said and done"

Shockingly, you cannot always determine everything about a show just by watching the first two episodes.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
For ef's sake, I wasn't even insulting the show. Stop assuming the worst.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
For ef's sake, I wasn't even insulting the show. Stop assuming the worst.

That last sentence was directed more at dtm42 than you.
greendaze24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't the greatest, but I thought K was a lot of fun. Great animation, creative fight scenes (especially that skateboard scene), and good music made it decent! The exposition was often clunky or insufficient, but by the end, I felt like I understood the series more or less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5