• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Opposite of Otaku?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to write a college admission and I'm suppose to group people into two categories (ie: Nature vs. Nurture, Paper vs. Plastic, etc.) Being an otaku, I thought the best thing for me to write about would be Otaku vs. Non-otaku/Fanatic vs. Non-fanatic. So people that have a strong obsessive passion for something in their life would be otaku and those who don't have a strong passion would be non-otaku. My dilemna is I don't know what the word for a non-otaku would be or even what the word for a non-fanatic. I've tried the thesauras and numerous friends and family and nobody has been able to think of the right word. Does anyone here know?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I doubt you are an otaku, but if you were one, you would call people that arn't otaku, commoners.

Buy Genshiken when it's release. Basicaly it's an anime about the daily lives of otakus.
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Genshiken. Yes, I am an otaku but that doesn't mean I feel any disrespect for non-otaku, just as I wouldn't want them to disrespect me.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
By non-otaku, do you mean people who still like anime, but who aren't at that level of obsession? If so, then there are otaku and then there are fans of anime.

If by non-otaku you mean people at the end of spectrum who have an obsessive HATE of anime, then there are otaku and the blind Razz (j.k).
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fairy Hime wrote:
I've seen Genshiken. Yes, I am an otaku but that doesn't mean I feel any disrespect for non-otaku, just as I wouldn't want them to disrespect me.

What the heck are you talking? You do know that most common people dont' take too likely on otakus. In fact, otakus are usualy made fun of in anime and manga. Otaku are not celebrated and they sure as hell don't get much respect, only from other otakus. Heck, I don't even like otakus very much and I think most cosplayer are dorks.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
I don't mean an anti-otaku. More someone who's apathetic in a sense in that they don't have a strong obessive passion for anything. I'm using otaku in it broader sense meaning fanatic, not exlcusively anime. So someone who isn't a fanatic about anything.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Detractor ?
Or just say an impassive person.
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Times are changing though. Otaku isn't quite the dirty word it used to be. Yeah, a greasy hair, overweight, lolita-complex male is still somewhat the stereotype of an otaku but that doesn't mean that's a description of every or even most otaku. The people that write manga and anime are very often otaku themselves. They're taking jabs at themselves and the culture they are a part of.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
The point is, otaku isn't even an english word. It's a slang word. Try avoid using slang when writing a college entrance essay.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Out of curiousity, if you're not an otaku, why do you come to this forum? You have 1517 posts on this forum and you say you're not an otaku?

Last edited by Fairy Hime on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Fairy Hime wrote:
I don't mean an anti-otaku. More someone who's apathetic in a sense in that they don't have a strong obessive passion for anything. I'm using otaku in it broader sense meaning fanatic, not exlcusively anime. So someone who isn't a fanatic about anything.

Then why not just say "fanatic"? Otaku isn't a term used outside of this fanbase in English, so trying to apply a Japanese word to an English college admission is...kinda silly.
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Well I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to use the term fanatic or otaku. Regardless I still need to know the opposite of the term.
Fairy Hime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Detractor means:
1. To draw or take away; divert: They could detract little from so solid an argument.
2. Archaic. To speak ill of; belittle.
That's not quite right.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
Fairy Hime wrote:
Out of curiousity, if you're not an otaku, why do you come to this forum? You have 1517 posts on this forum and you say you're not an otaku?

I have the second highest post count on these forums (at this point in time), but I don't call myself an otaku. Personally, I really dislike the term because I feel it classifies or segregates one person from another. Fandom shouldn't have a ranking system. If you're a fan, you're a fan, and nothing more.

For your paper though, I'd probably use something along the lines of "fad vs. fake," where the "fad" can be described as being obsessively engrossed in something, and the "fake" can describe how no one really cares for whatever the supposed hype is all about. Sorry, I couldn't come up with anything else, but I hope that helps Anime catgrin.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
Fairy Hime wrote:

Well is it fair if I said "you call yourself an otaku but you only have 10 post?" Wink (it works both way)

But if you're still trying to find a slang for someone that isn't passionate about anything, than "stoner" is your best bet. Basically, someone that don't much for anything in life but to get high.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2