• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai BLURAY 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Sneaking the word "puissant" into a review about Dragon Ball Kai is probably the definition of trying too hard. Even I had to look that one up.

I very much agree with the assessment of Chris Ayres as Freeza. Though much of it is the script now treating the character as the aristocratic villain he was always intended to be, Ayres does a phenomenal job making him sound uniquely evil. But his best work is in volume 3.

I also agree about the music. Though I actually quite enjoy some of Kenji Yamamoto's score, it seems a little limited in its range. Shunsuke Kikuchi is really missed at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Man, I am just loving DBZ Kai... The new cast's great, too. Smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
This project really should function as a humiliation for current shonen anime that mercilessly drags out the episode count (all of them) by demonstrating it's a far inferior course to concision, but I'm sure it won't have such a salutary effect.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
I would buy it JUST for that cover alone.

I see what you did there, FUNi Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Eventually, FUNimation is going to run out of means to promote the show. If they can still sell Dragon Ball Z after Kai, I'll be amazed.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'll never buy any form of DBZ again (I completed the orange sets a while back and I had a sour taste in my mouth after the Dragon Boxes came out). But in all honestly, I wonder if this is really selling well on Funi's end. I like DBZ for nostalgia sake, but I've seen the series so much that I can't stand to watch it anymore. Sure, Kai is putting it on fast forward and making way more bearable than it used to be, but I just wonder who would be buying these?

Does anyone in one actually own or is trying to complete the Orange sets or the Dragon boxes while buying this as well? It's all a huge headache to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
I think there will always be new customers for DBZ, so it's not just the people wanting to get everything, but the new generation of potential fans. And given that now there's a viable English version of the show, and it airs semi-regularly on a cable channel kids watch, yeah, I think it will be plenty successful.

And really, I don't see the big deal of Funimation milking everything they can out of this franchise. DBZ is their bread and butter, and if they can make a lot of money pimping it and use that money to buy other licences I might like, then more power to them.

Also, I wouldn't touch the orange boxsets. They're horrible. I'm all about the Dragon Boxes, with a little Kai to supplement, and in support of the new, improved dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
So, as I'm reading the original Dragon Ball manga now and to my tremendous surprise and delight loving every page of it, how much does watching the anime adaptation actually add to the original? Perhaps the answer changes once one gets to the "Z" parts, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Smile
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Damn I gotta pick this up soon.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And really, I don't see the big deal of Funimation milking everything they can out of this franchise. DBZ is their bread and butter, and if they can make a lot of money pimping it and use that money to buy other licences I might like, then more power to them.

The big deal, Penguin, is that FUNimation is going to eventually milk this cow to the point where EVERYONE will end up owning this series and be content with the version that they have. FUNimation can't put all their eggs in one basket with DBZ. Otherwise, they're gonna have another situation akin to ADV and Evangelion.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
DB Kai seems to have successfully reinvigorated the franchise in Japan, which makes me wonder: once it's done, do you think another Jump show will get "Kai'd"? If such a thing happens, which one needs/deserves it most?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
DB Kai seems to have successfully reinvigorated the franchise in Japan, which makes me wonder: once it's done, do you think another Jump show will get "Kai'd"? If such a thing happens, which one needs/deserves it most?

I doubt it because DBZ is a special case. It is the defining shonen action series, after all - and whether you respect the series or not, that point isn't debatable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

I doubt it because DBZ is a special case. It is the defining shonen action series, after all - and whether you respect the series or not, that point isn't debatable.

Well, there's also the fact that other Jump shows, especially those from the same era as DBZ (Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, etc.) might be a little tougher to do since they sometimes had filler heavily added into the actual manga adaptation portions. Sure, you could probably condense the first 22 episodes of FotNS, but on the other hand there's something like Saint Seiya, where they changed story elements so that the fillers can fit in perfectly, which means that a lot more new footage would have to be added in... Or, hell, entire portions or even episodes would probably have to be redone so that they're more accurate to their original mangas.
xLucix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has just started the manga, and is interested in the anime, what would anyone/someone recommend that I collect: DBZ or DBZ Kai? I'm not sure which to invest in, honestly.

~Luci
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
barrelroller wrote:
I like DBZ for nostalgia sake, but I've seen the series so much that I can't stand to watch it anymore. Sure, Kai is putting it on fast forward and making way more bearable than it used to be, but I just wonder who would be buying these?

It's still airing on Nicktoons, so it should manage to wrangle a few new fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1