• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Under the Sea

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Isn't Honey and Clover also supposed to be like gutbustingly hilarious? I recall seeing this one montage of all the funny scenes, including spoiler[the dreaded Twister game of death].

I haven't seen the anime, but the manga is quite funny. Morita is my favorite character and his "Moscar" acceptance speech is a crowning moment of funny. In fact, the only thing I liked in the final 3 volumes was the Morita backstory arc.

Erin, I'd love to see a review of the live-action movie, with a compare/contrast to the anime. It doesn't have Morita's backstory, but it does lean heavily on the comic aspects of the story, including a "chain of stalkers" gag that probably inspired the Sayonara Zenbotsu-Sensei manga-ka! I really liked the movie. It's all the Honey & Clover one could want in less than 2 hours with a decent cast and a fairly satisfyng ending!

belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
In this myth-like tale, the queen of fire is depicted as a gigantic lady with red hair. The fire princess is tiny, fairy-like sprite compared the building-sized fire queen. Much like how Ponyo started off as a tiny fish with a human face, the “sea prince,” Sirius is a tiny merman-looking dude compared to his father, the gigantic god-like dragon-headed king of the sea. Similar to Ponyo's parentage, I wondered how these children were produced. Asexually? It's not clear from the film.

In flicks like this (and many cartoons where the parents are an unusual pairing), they usually leave out the details of their mating. Heck, if you want to see a hilarious example of that, you should see Firebreather. Now how a dragon kaiju and tiny human have a kid together is beyond anyone, but I'm sure most of us with dirty minds can piece it together Anime hyper

On the plus side, dragon-headed king of the sea is epic.

I'm still wondering how Hagrid came about. I mean, a giantess and a short wizard? How did that work? J.K. Rowling is a strange shipper...(TonksxLupin? Oh, Nevermind!) Very Happy

Talking about shippers, the premise of this movie sounds like a Zutarian fanfic. Or an Azulokka fanfic...(All them weird fandom shippers give themselves names that make them sound like an alien race. Or a cult. Don't shoot me! Wink )

Nice bunch of reviews!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Sea Prince is definitely shelf worthy for me. Now, I wasn't yet born when this came out on VHS or Betamax or whatever, but I did see it via youtube a couple years back. I don't see how having romance would necessarily make it boring to kids though, I mean, Disney movies have romance, it's just usually interrupted by song and Sea Prince doesn't do really do that. And the prince and princess (or village wench if you will) only tend to see each other for 5 second before falling in love then spend no more time whatsoever before the wedding whereas in Sea Prince Sirius and Malta, while doing the love at first sight thing, at least spend more time together. And I'm not sure I'd show a kid Cinderella instead, she spends an awful lot of the movie being bossed around and doing chores, I wouldn't exactly call it exciting.

I totally agree with you. This movie is shelf worthy to me also. I watched this movie a million times when I was a kid that the tape was almost worn out from watching and rewinding it over and over again. When I heard about it getting an official DVD release I was completely over-joyed. I bought it on the day it released and will be test driving the Japanese voice version soon (I only ever heard it in English Dub).

My only pet peeve with this movie was when they threw in random sentences in the Dub version when the character's mouth doesn't even move. I remember it confused me when I was a kid. Other then that, I loved this movie very very much. spoiler[Yet it was pretty hilarious when I watched it recently and saw that they didn't cencor Malta's breasts when she turned into an adult. They also did it for The Last Unicorn and even threw in some swear words. Its funny how you don't notice these things until you grow up.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
A slight nitpicky clarification should be made about H&C, it's a josei series, not a shojo title, the target audience is supposed to a bit older and they tend to feature over-the-top developments and imperfect relationships.

I kind of like the tragic development. Yes, it is silly but it forces the show to finally (in the "part 2" section of the season") spoiler[focus on Hagu- who, up to this point, was such a hollow shell of a character. With every other character of the series you've been given a real insight into their heads, not Hagu- finally in the end they tell you somewhat about her- they still don't really get into her head but at least some history.]

I sort of question reviewing this in two parts like you're doing. In the same way that you're breaking up Hayate so much. There's some worth in reviewing a show in progress but I for one am more interested in reviews of a complete picture
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually own the 'Sea Prince and the Fire Child'. From what I saw I kind of enjoyed it but I need to really sit down and watch it. If one doesn't care about some of the issues then it's worth adding to your collection. Otherwise it's really for nostalgia hounds and collectors. I mainly picked it up to because I'm creating a collection for classic anime films. In fact at the time of it's announcement and release, not to mention YT trailers from fans was what made me pick up the other 'Discotek' releases -ie, Animal Treasure Island, Puss n' Boots, and Taro the Dragon Boy. The story might not be completely sound but artistry is worth a look. But definitely worth a purchase for an art library where animation is a main focus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2