• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ghost in the Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I hope the higher powers that be (Atlus USA) brings Catherine over hear next year. Between Persona 3,4 and Catherine, I've come to believe that team Persona (don't know if that's their official name) has a sense of style that no other company has, in a good way of coarse. Form the presentation, menus an HUD to the music. It all is very appealing to me.

As for the cover, I already have my heart set on Katherine so I wouldn't mind if the XBOX cover was the only cover used in NA.

Last edited by The Count on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Regarding Catherine, don't know if I would ever show any interest in it beyond gameplay videos. However, won't it kind of be a nuisance for there to be two main characters with practically the same exact name? Won't the katakana also be the same? Obviously the fact that they share such commonalities in the name are done purposefully and artistically, perhaps to allude to some hidden tie between the characters, but it seems that it could be a bit hard to follow sans subtitles...

Also: it really seems that almost all the jokes this week were real hits, at least with me--- don't think I would've looked at this column as much if it weren't for those easter eggs (unless everyone's aware of them by now...). Especially dug the Daft Punk/Interstella 555 reference... and was good timing too, considering that I first saw it a month ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
"They would be driven to conquer every Mario game from Super Mario Bros. to the barely finished Hotel Mario for the Phillips CD-1, mercilessly crushing each mushroom-shaped enemy they met along the way."

Umm...last I checked, it was called the "Philips CD-i"...not the "Phillips CD-1"...
Am I going to die for pointing this little thing out? *starts making out his will*
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
I thought the JP Mario 2 was easy. You want an irritating platformer for the NES, try Streetfighter 2010 or that Yo! Noid monstrosity. Cool Oh, and thanks for the cool interview. I hope you snag the Yakuza guy next.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
You realize, of course, that those innocent eight-year-olds weren't very likely to see that picture until you included Yu-Gi-Oh! in the caption. Razz
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
It seems from Catherine's box art it can be deduced that the game-play involves scaling scantily clad giantesses while avoiding falling sheep Rolling Eyes

I can't wait to get a copy, though it is kind of strange they've gone so long without giving any details on the gameplay aside the two daily life parts and the nightmare mode. The achievements got leaked though, so I guess those could give more light to what goes on in the game. I don't want to check them out because they're spoiler-heavy...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Somehow I doubt Atlus will use the PlayStation 3 version's artwork for the North American release, considering how things went with Trauma Team's cover.

Oh yeah, I forgot to HATE THEM FOREVER for that. /joke
(Still interested it playing Trauma Team though)

Personally, I hope Atlus USA comes up with, or gets the JP side to come up with an original cover that can be used for both versions here - And have the JP cover arts as an extra bonus, like a double sided poster.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you can get the first 1-UP mushroom and go down the pipe and get the coins.

I'm also stoked for Catherine - the premise sounds really intriguing. While I'm not a big fan of non-Pokemon RPGs, I did enjoy Persona 4 and I'm confident that it will be good.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, the more I see and hear about Catherine, the less interested I am in it. At least it's not a SMT game, since I've decided that I'll give every SMT game a chance.

Oh, and I'm assuming that the Catherine/Katherine is handled the same way in katakana that Suikoden's Sara/Sarah was. In Suikoden, it was actually セラ and サラ (don't remember which was which, though). So I'm assuming it'll be カセリン and カサリン (which sound ever-so-slightly different). Either that, or one'll be written in hiragana.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Mario definitely earned his place in the videogame community, but what about Mama Luigi? As for Bowser, he's been pretty much reduced to every furry's wet dream.

Catherine: Seems like this naughty game is the highlight of this X Button article. With Persona's crew working on it, I'm sure it'll be a hit. Your hunch about changing the case artwork for the U.S. release might be right. Seeing a man trying to scale Mt. Buttcrack or the Twin Pillow Valley will definitely make our pathetic censor groups react. I certainly hope that Vincent doesn't die gruesomely or anything in the nightmares. I don't need to see another Limbo or Dead Space sequence again. Seriously though, the second screenshot, a WTF-moment for some but it wouldn't be out of place at all in the Persona verse.

MML3: I badly need to play Legends 2 and Tron Bonne's Misadventures. I feel like I missed a lot from the Legends universe. As for losing Inafune, I think they'll manage. It would be a shame if all this preparation actually went awry.

Ghost Trick: Considering the immense nerd factor that surrounds Phoenix Wright to this day, I'm sure this will do equally well here and I'm equally sure some meme will spring forth from it too. I guess we just have a thing for murder mysteries handled in unconventional ways here (come on guys, where's the love for Detective Conan?).

Super Mario Bros LE: I watched all the details on the Nintendo Channel a couple nights ago. I played Lost Levels back when I rented All Stars as a kid. I can't remember if it was as hard as they say. I think I didn't have much fun with it though since I went right back to the other games almost immediately. Anyway, 25 years of everyone's favorite breakdancing, star-saving, buttkicking Italian superstar plumber, congrats to both Mario and Shigeru Miyamoto (I wonder if he ever found out about that horrendous anime movie).
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Personally, I hope Atlus USA comes up with, or gets the JP side to come up with an original cover that can be used for both versions here - And have the JP cover arts as an extra bonus, like a double sided poster.

I think they'll probably do that, or use a double-sided cover (like what they did with the english release of Stella Deus).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…to the barely finished Hotel Mario for the Phillips CD-i…

Barely finished? Did you not check out the enclosed instruction book?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I thought the JP Mario 2 was easy. You want an irritating platformer for the NES, try Streetfighter 2010 or that Yo! Noid monstrosity. Cool Oh, and thanks for the cool interview. I hope you snag the Yakuza guy next.

I agree. The REAL Mario 2 is not that hard! I can beat the damn game! I've beaten several times.

Hell back in '93 I could get to level 5 on Mario lost Levels without dying and I was only 10 at the time!

Oh and Todd its "CD-I" not "CD-1". (Worst system ever made.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I just checked out the trailer for Catherine, an I think I'll be keeping tabs on that game.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
My hope is that Catherine comes with a reversable cover. Obviously the Xbox cover would be the default, but being able to turn it around to the PS3 cover would be nice. This would also make buying it on a specific console less meaningful, though.

Although, if we get both covers, I might wind up buying the game twice, as I like both (and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I have purchased the same game twice).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2