• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
As much as I like Arakawa's writing I don't know if I can feel excited about this one. I haven't read the manga, but the premise sounds a bit stale. An agricultural college? It doesn't sound too exciting. Anyone have anything they can compare this series to so I gauge whether I'll like it?

Can't think of any comparable series off the top of my head but it's a slice of life comedy and it's really good. I would recommend giving it a shot before casting it aside. There's a reason why it's won so many awards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Excited to see this getting an anime. I have been wanting to check out the manga for a while (I held off hoping it would get an anime or a NA release so I wouldn't have to resort to scanlations). I got even more excited to check it out after reading some of Hyakusho Kizoku (which is very funny, I love Arakawa's humor).
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
As much as I like Arakawa's writing I don't know if I can feel excited about this one. I haven't read the manga, but the premise sounds a bit stale. An agricultural college? It doesn't sound too exciting. Anyone have anything they can compare this series to so I gauge whether I'll like it?

Can't think of any comparable series off the top of my head but it's a slice of life comedy and it's really good. I would recommend giving it a shot before casting it aside. There's a reason why it's won so many awards.

slice of life I can handle if done well, however comedy I've never been partial to. Maybe if it were a Romcom and even then, I just don't find japanese jokes to be all that funny. Maybe it's a lost in translation thing for me, but I tend to avoid comedies like the plague. Guess I'll be passing on this one.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
slice of life I can handle if done well, however comedy I've never been partial to. Maybe if it were a Romcom and even then, I just don't find japanese jokes to be all that funny. Maybe it's a lost in translation thing for me, but I tend to avoid comedies like the plague. Guess I'll be passing on this one.

How did you feel about the comedy in FMA? It's those sort of small jokes, not full-on Japanese gags. (There aren't any jokes you need to be Japanese to understand.) What I meant was that it's a slice-of-life with some elements of comedy, as most SOL series usually include. Sorry if that was confusing.
Autarck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, but I hope we eventually get a North American release date for the anime and manga as well, but it's still good to see Arakawa as awesome as ever!
NamaeX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

How did you feel about the comedy in FMA? It's those sort of small jokes, not full-on Japanese gags. (There aren't any jokes you need to be Japanese to understand.) What I meant was that it's a slice-of-life with some elements of comedy, as most SOL series usually include. Sorry if that was confusing.

Yup, small things like:

Yugo (the male lead) is incredibly book-smart and is strong in standard school courses like languages, maths, and sciences that he gets high scores in tests compared to some of his classmates having 8-12%. However, when it comes to anything farming or animal husbandry-related, other people have perfect scores on the tests compared to him getting 96-98%, which leads to him trying to figure out if his classmates are smart or stupid.

Yugo has an older brother that, despite having a tongue that can identify ingredients perfectly, is horrible at cooking food.

Tamako, who is normally egg-shaped greets Yugo and another classmate as she goes to check in at school, but instead of looking like her round self, she looks a lot thinner because she got heat stroke.... A few days later, she returns to her original form.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
NamaeX wrote:

DUDE! Don't spoil it! Especially the last one!!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

So like a dramedy? And I skipped the spoilery post so no harm no foul on that one.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
So like a dramedy? And I skipped the spoilery post so no harm no foul on that one.

It's not quite as dramatic or suspenseful as FMA, but the kind of comedy you find in it is the type of comedy in FMA. It's a very charming series, with elements of drama and comedy nicely spread throughout.

Glad you skipped that post. They're not huge spoilers, but they kind of ruin the fun if you know ahead of time.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I have a question,I heard that were some moral questions asked such as is it to kill animals for food.Although I read volume 1 of manga I didn't see that (and I hope I dont cause it seems a bit stupid to put moral questions in a light slice of life like this),so will that appear later on?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I have a question,I heard that were some moral questions asked such as is it to kill animals for food.Although I read volume 1 of manga I didn't see that (and I hope I don't cause it seems a bit stupid to put moral questions in a light slice of life like this),so will that appear later on?

Yes, later on. I don't remember exactly but it's like vol 2 or 3, I think.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
I have a question,I heard that were some moral questions asked such as is it to kill animals for food.Although I read volume 1 of manga I didn't see that (and I hope I don't cause it seems a bit stupid to put moral questions in a light slice of life like this),so will that appear later on?

Yes, later on. I don't remember exactly but it's like vol 2 or 3, I think.

Oh okay thanks.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

It's not quite as dramatic or suspenseful as FMA, but the kind of comedy you find in it is the type of comedy in FMA. It's a very charming series, with elements of drama and comedy nicely spread throughout.

Glad you skipped that post. They're not huge spoilers, but they kind of ruin the fun if you know ahead of time.

hmmm, still on the fence but I guess I could watch the first episode to get a feel for it. After that if I don't like it, no love lost as they say.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
hmmm, still on the fence but I guess I could watch the first episode to get a feel for it. After that if I don't like it, no love lost as they say.

We don't even know when it'll be coming out yet but I do hope you enjoy the series. ^^
Kanra_Nakura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
I think the voice actor of Shinpachi shimura from Gintama would be a fitting for Hachiken. I mean both have glasses and play the role of the "straight men". And the way Hachi behaves is just like shinpachi Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3