• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Go Developers to Reveal Details on New Pokémon on December 12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, the way that they've been handling this game has been beyond abysmal. The absolute dearth of updates, the absence of legendary pokemon, the hesitation to add killer features like trading and battling... I mean, WOW. How can they even hope to compete with other apps like Puzzle and Dragons, Monster Strike, Shironeko Project and more that offer consistent updates and UI improvements that keep the game fresh? It was like they hedged their bets on the gimmick and brand name alone and now it's coming back to haunt them.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
How can they even hope to compete with other apps like Puzzle and Dragons, Monster Strike, Shironeko Project and more that offer consistent updates and UI improvements that keep the game fresh? It was like they hedged their bets on the gimmick and brand name alone and now it's coming back to haunt them.

The games you listed are all Japanese. Pokemon Go is American made and made primarily for an American audience. You shouldn't expect the same level of quality since they arent competing.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Actar wrote:
How can they even hope to compete with other apps like Puzzle and Dragons, Monster Strike, Shironeko Project and more that offer consistent updates and UI improvements that keep the game fresh? It was like they hedged their bets on the gimmick and brand name alone and now it's coming back to haunt them.

The games you listed are all Japanese. Pokemon Go is American made and made primarily for an American audience. You shouldn't expect the same level of quality since they arent competing.

Your argument fails on a couple of points. Just because they are produced in different regions does not mean that they aren't competing, Not only is Pokemon Go available in Japan, most of the apps I listed are also available in English for an international audience. They are very much competing.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Seriously, the way that they've been handling this game has been beyond abysmal. The absolute dearth of updates, the absence of legendary pokemon, the hesitation to add killer features like trading and battling... I mean, WOW. How can they even hope to compete with other apps like Puzzle and Dragons, Monster Strike, Shironeko Project and more that offer consistent updates and UI improvements that keep the game fresh? It was like they hedged their bets on the gimmick and brand name alone and now it's coming back to haunt them.

PoGo has had plenty of regular updates, weather or not one thinks they are good updates will depend on the user. Legendary Pokemon are going to be real life events that will take lots of planning, the recent Lapras event in Japan shows that people are more than willing to travel for the game and Legendaries will no doubt bring far more to whatever location they choose. Trading needs to be implemented in a way that doesn't allow for cheating and possible-maybe safety issues keeping in mind. I think battling is the one thing they've straight up said isn't a priority right now.

There's still a ton of people who play the game and things like their Halloween event and the Japan Lapras event show that it doesn't take much to get other people back into it. Maybe things could be better but seems like they aren't doing too bad to me.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was kinda funny how non-U.S. English speakers were complaining that the new deal with Sprint isn't fair since only affects the U.S. Thank goodness they don't read Japanese because Japan has 5 sponsors: McDonald's, Softbank, Y! Mobile, TOHO Cinemas, and Aeon was just added yesterday. Wink
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, am excited about the idea of being able to collect more Pokemon, especially if they are adding in the next generation. I always love Johto, mainly because its post-game content was the best IMO, and some of my favorites are from the 2nd gen.
zero_shaoran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ditto has been added to the game
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Actar wrote:

Your argument fails on a couple of points. Just because they are produced in different regions does not mean that they aren't competing, Not only is Pokemon Go available in Japan, most of the apps I listed are also available in English for an international audience. They are very much competing.

Japan is not its primary audience, however. It wasn't even released there first. It was never meant to compete with the likes of those games you listed, but games like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Doodle Jump, Clash Royale, Hearthstone, Bloons, Plants vs. Zombies, Duck Game, Amateur Surgeon, Candy Crush Saga, Sonic Dash, and My Talking Tom. The North American mobile marketplace is VERY different from the Japanese mobile marketplace in what appeals to people and what makes money. You gotta think like Rovio, Zynga, King, and Gameloft.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
I, for one, am excited about the idea of being able to collect more Pokemon, especially if they are adding in the next generation. I always love Johto, mainly because its post-game content was the best IMO, and some of my favorites are from the 2nd gen.

I would laugh if they skipped straight to Generation VII and made the Alola forms of Kanto Pokémon available too. I can see it now: Every gym will have Kommo-o and Vikavolt.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing they still yet to address the problems with rural players or disabled players. Where they don't have access to Pokestops or Gyms.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Japan is not its primary audience, however. It wasn't even released there first. It was never meant to compete with the likes of those games you listed, but games like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Doodle Jump, Clash Royale, Hearthstone, Bloons, Plants vs. Zombies, Duck Game, Amateur Surgeon, Candy Crush Saga, Sonic Dash, and My Talking Tom. The North American mobile marketplace is VERY different from the Japanese mobile marketplace in what appeals to people and what makes money. You gotta think like Rovio, Zynga, King, and Gameloft.

I agree with you, but the problem is it kinda fails as a gamechanger OR "best of breed" here. It's not a "game changer" because of lacking any player-to-player interaction which could make it much better for the casual gamer space it is aiming for. Trading would allow people to be excited about pokemon they don't "need" but are able to find that others can't and encourage more social interaction with other players. Battling would expand the desire to maintain your existing pokemon and also encourage more interaction with other players and probably increase engagement.

It fails as a "best of breed" gaming app against US games (like Candy Crush, Angry Birds and others) because MOST US app games are made to be played quickly while you're "killing time" waiting somewhere. PokeGo REQUIRES that you be moving and/or in very specifically active locations. If neither of those are true you really have NOTHING to do. If the game had "battling" you could at least battle friends or strangers, trading could allow you to at least "seek out" other people like some NintendoDS games did. Instead, if you're standing in line at the DMV, unless there's a gym or a PokeStop right there, there's nothing to do in PokeGo, since you'll be stationary.

Ironically, many US app based games are BEST for "when you're all alone in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do", that is generally the WORST time/place for PokeGo, which is optimal in a dense urban setting. Which is one reason Japan is actually a MUCH better market for PokeGo than the US.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Huh, that's a good point--Pokémon GO functions quite differently than most other North American app games, which is something I never gave much thought to as I live in a place with incredibly high Pokéstop and Gym density, so around here, it IS a play-anywhere-to-kill-time kind of game except in more remote, less busy areas, which I'm guessing is pretty much everywhere outside of major cities.

Player-to-player interaction on mobile devices can be very iffy though, especially on Android, due to the huge amount of possible devices it could be on, which don't necessarily think on the same page. I know this is why they were never able to implement multiplayer for Skullgirls Mobile as intended. That being said, Pokémon battling and trading are strictly turn-based, so they shouldn't be too hard to implement.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Since the latest update my phone's buzzing all the time even though there are no Pokemon around. =\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1