• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Shin Koihime†Musō & Otome Tairan, AkaSaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, its kind of been Sentai's trend; I mean, we're talking about the same people who licensed Samurai Harem and Kampfer for cryin' out loud (though honestly, I enjoyed Kampfer Embarassed ).

Quote:
So what if Section23 picked up a crappy anime title. Funimation is just as guilty *Cough* Platonic Heart *Cough* and please don't get me started on "Dragonaught".

Except that FUNi licenses several great titles along with the crappy ones. But to be fair, Sentai has been stepping up their game with some recent licenses of good titles: Maid-sama, Canaan, and Zombie-boobs (though I hate zombies, I acknowledge it was a good license) and others I'm sure people might be quick to point out.

AkaSaka really does suck harder than all titles mentioned though Razz + Twisted Evil -and YES, that includes Dragonaught as that one was at least fun in an ironic way.

And no, I haven't seen Platonic Heart, but I don't see how that has any bearing on how I feel about AkaSaka Confused
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Repeat after me, Sentai:

MA-NA-BI STRAIGHT. I will say it until I am blue in the face and then I will say it again.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Akane-iro suffered from what I like to call the Canvas2 syndrome, where they spoiler[spend almost the entire length of the anime trying to work out a relationship with some girl and then the guy just decides at the last minute that he likes his sister/cousin better for pretty much no reason at all other than the writers feeling like throwing in a twist for the sake of having a twist.]

Well, Akane-iro wasn't even good.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The PR seems to indicate the Clannad movie is apparently bilingual [ANN's news says subttiled- I imagine they'll update it]- I think I'll be picking it up since Osamu Dezaki's helming it ala AIR the Movie.

Definitely getting Guin Saga. Glad Sentai's scheduled it.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Repeat after me, Sentai:

MA-NA-BI STRAIGHT. I will say it until I am blue in the face and then I will say it again.

I would personally love for them to pick up 2008's "Hyakko" a super dirt cheap license for a super cheap budgeted anime thats actually a good one at that.

Now my dream license from Section23 would be 2005's "Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge".
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Guin Saga in March, huh? When are they gonna release the English dub cast? Still, this getting a dub at all is pretty awesome. I still have my fingers crossed for a second season!!

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I would personally love for them to pick up 2008's "Hyakko" a super dirt cheap license for a super cheap budgeted anime thats actually a good one at that.

SECONDED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
[Mario's soapboxing and related responses have been removed. - Keonyn]

Splitter wrote:

Repeat after me, Sentai:

It would make my day if someone licensed Manabi Straight. It's the show that made me fall in love with Yui Horie roles.

So, I wasn't really keen on AkaSaka, but getting the other two Koihime Muso shows makes me happy. Uncensored Koihime Muso goodness is something I've been looking forward to for some time.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice. I'll definitely get both Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka and Shin Koihime Muso when they're out on DVDs.

Used to watch AkaSaka, but the quality on the computer isn't that great. :/
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, not Akane-iro....totally hated that one.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Mario1234567 is still trollin' Laughing .

Anyway, I'm not interested in any of the new licenses, but it's nice to see that Guin and Clannad will be out in March. I'll be getting both for sure.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm getting kinda bummed out with Sentai. For a while there they were the one company who was consistently acquiring licenses I was interested in. However, you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to watch any of the last dozen things they've gotten. Very disappointing.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Man, I'm getting kinda bummed out with Sentai. For a while there they were the one company who was consistently acquiring licenses I was interested in. However, you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to watch any of the last dozen things they've gotten. Very disappointing.
You say that yet you rated Ghost Hound as very good, and you are waiting for cheaper versions of Canaan and Xam'd Confused .

Anyone have a comparison of Guin Saga. If its a fantasy show like Utawarerumono then I think I'll have to skip it. After watch Utawarerumono I think I'm done with the fantasy genre, it's just not for me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
You say that yet you rated Ghost Hound as very good, and you are waiting for cheaper versions of Canaan and Xam'd Confused .

Seriously? Are you really so bloody defencive that you've actually gone rooting around in my 'My Anime' list in search of some excuse to call me a hypocrite or a liar or whatever? Jeez dude. I even went out of my way to avoid making an actual value judgment on the 'quality' of the shows they've licensed, instead simply expressing my disappointment that they don't seem to license stuff I'm interested in. Can I really not do even that any more without people like you getting up in arms? Oy. Rolling Eyes

Anyway though, that's exactly my point. For a while there they had a great track record. They picked up Ghost Hound, Xam'd, Golgo 13, Guin Saga and Canaan. (Plus a few other things I'm at least slightly interested in such as Skull Man and You're Under Arrest). Now though, I look at the last dozen or so shows Sentai/S23 has picked up (essentially everything post-Canaan) and there isn't a single show I'd even consider watching. Hence, I fail to see how your examples contradict me.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Guin Saga was native HD?

The listed MSRP is painfully high. I hope TRSI pre-order price is more attractive.

I do want to support this title. I like the fact that they deemed it worth a dub, and I guess I am saving money since I refuse to watch or buy any of their boobie-show licenses. Granted, this is a dubious way to save money...

Where is Maid Sama? I'm waiting for the announcement. I will also buy Glass Mask if I know that I can get all of it. Grrrr.
Dan297na

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
Didn't Shin Koihime Muso get a Blu-Ray release in Japan? Or was that just an upscale?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3