• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Think Of The Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Not to mention you're paying in yen, which is stronger than the US dollar?

Not anymore. The Yen fell drastically this year, and financial speculation states it's going to continue to drop as Japan is heading into another recession.

For importers, this is good news at the expense of a struggling economy. It sucks for Japan, but this could also be beneficial as the stronger dollar could entice more sales.

I suppose every bit helps, but for those who don't import, they'll be oblivious to it. I'm a figure collector, and you can bet I'll be taking advantage of our stronger dollar.

It's not as though a weaker Yen will mean our R1 prices will go down. If anything, I see them going up again this year. I suspect we'll start seeing anime prices heading above the $60 "sale" price by June.

But that's just a guess on my part.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Here is a paradox; There are people like this who "pirate", but then buy a ton of stuff related to the title. Then there are people like me, who won't watch the title illegally, but won't spend any money at all on something that I couldn't ]preview in a legal way.

What supports the industry more?

I guarantee people who buy a 100+ dollar figures and merchandise directly from Japan are supporting the series more than someone who buys a 30 dollar box-set from Funimation. If you go by Answerman's previous analysis, they only see about 15% of your sale money as a royalty and the rest goes to Funimation. So that means about 5 bucks on average goes to the original animators? 5 dollars VS 100+ merchandise; which, I might add, actually fuels the Japanese economy directly, not the American one? Not to mention you're paying in yen, which is stronger than the US dollar? 5 bucks converted into yen is even less than that due to conversion rate. It's better to create more of a demand in the Japanese market with your money. Even just importing a few 450 yen manga volumes does more, because your sales will actually be counted in that weekly ranking chart, unlike if you bought American. There's so many better and alternative ways to support a series than buying R1 releases.

I live in the U.S. so I like to support the economy here. I don't agree with your assessment that anyone is less than a fan if they don't import.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Of course I'll justify piracy, if it means I'm paying more for Anime than I would be if I didn't download those .mkvs.

The person who sent in the question has spent far more on Mawaru Penguindrum than any fan who buys it legally from a North American distributor, plus a higher percentage and a higher total amount of that fan's money went to the production committee. So that fan broke the law by downloading fansubs. Yeah, so? Morally-speaking they've paid their dues because they've followed it up with a purchase. And not just any old purchase but a super-expensive one too.

Piracy can be justified - depends on the circumstances, but it isn't impossible as in this case - and anyone who says differently is burying their head in the sand and not wanting to admit it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Not anymore. The Yen fell drastically this year, and financial speculation states it's going to continue to drop as Japan is heading into another recession.

For importers, this is good news at the expense of a struggling economy. It sucks for Japan, but this could also be beneficial as the stronger dollar could entice more sales.

I suppose every bit helps, but for those who don't import, they'll be oblivious to it. I'm a figure collector, and you can bet I'll be taking advantage of our stronger dollar.

It's not as though a weaker Yen will mean our R1 prices will go down. If anything, I see them going up again this year. I suspect we'll start seeing anime prices heading above the $60 "sale" price by June.

But that's just a guess on my part.

Oh, it definitely fell. I noticed when my ¥11,000 yen order was 10 dollars less than the one I made in January. It's still more than 1:1 conversions, but I can live with the conversion rates; I'm more concerned with EMS/SAL costs to be honest. I suppose the drop with supplement that, though.

tuxedocat wrote:
I live in the U.S. so I like to support the economy here. I don't agree with your assessment that anyone is less than a fan if they don't import.

Eh? I didn't say anything about being 'less than a fan' for that. I usually see the opposite where people who fansub are condoned as not being 'true fans'. It's fine if you want to support the US economy, I just hope those people also don't turn around and act like they're better than/complains about the guy who pirates but then turns around and buys 500+ dollars worth of IDOLM@STERS figures

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
^ME, the dollar/yen exchange rate is still quite dismal compared to what it was in 2005. I think the exchange rate is currently around 85 yen/dollar, which means, deputy service-wise, you're probably working with an exchange rate of 80-82. In 2005, my deputy service invoices gave me exchange rates of about 120 yen/dollar. That was really nice.

Word of mouth has always been important to the spreading of any show or idea, whether it be anime or political idealogy. What's changing now is that younger generations can simply log into age appropriate chat sites and talk about what shows they like, and send links to others interested so that they can watch them too. Obviously, to this demographic, the ability to download and stream anime, for free, is quite important as many of them can't/won't pay $8/month for anime and want instant gratification. That's why it's important to make anime availalble for free on legal streaming sites - better to get the ad revenue than get no revenue at all. And, these young fans are the industry's future consumers.

As for Skyfall, I disagree that the theme song was lousy. I'm not an Adele fan, but I have to admit that was one of the better James Bond theme songs. Not quite as good as Live and Let Die and The World is Not Enough, but still loads better than View to a Kill and Sheryl Crow's entry. Also thought the movie was loads better than the last James Bond film.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's still more than 1:1 conversions, but I can live with the conversion rates;

I generally go with the thought $1 USD = 100 Yen. Makes life easier for me. But wow, when the Yen was at 120:1, that hurt. Last year, I could have bought another figure or two if the rate was equal. Now, I get to have my revenge. Bwaa haa haa!
Razz

Quote:
I'm more concerned with EMS/SAL costs to be honest. I suppose the drop with supplement that, though.

EMS (my only method of shipping) raised its rates last year, and damn, that really hurt. I wrote a letter to Hobby Search pleading if they could do their best to keep figures grouped when they're delayed, but they indicated they didn't have the storage to do it, and of course apologized for it.

Can't blame them, though. These damn delays are becoming too frequent. Really tough to be importing and trying to plan bulk purchases with pre-orders.

I'm now starting to do them in two-month spreads, so that way, if they're delayed, they'll fall into another group.

Well, that's the plan, anyway. So far, it's not working out.
Evil or Very Mad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
When I was in Japan this past week I also thought of the conversion as 1:1

However when I order Online, Paypal always lets me know just what I spent in dollars, so yeah it hurts. Sad

Edit: Actually I heard Japan doesn't like how high the Yen is. It's good for consumers over there of course but not good for international business so they themselves have tried to lower it. At least it is much better than it has been.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Goku killed plenty of characters without giving it a second thought when he was a child. I'm not sure why Toriyama decided to make that shift later with adult Goku wanting to avoid killing anyone.

Toriyama fanboys seemed to have adopted this for their main characters but in a series about Ninja it makes the least amount of sense.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hell I've waited six to seven years for higursahi kai, [...] and even five years for dennou coil to get localized sometimes a persons patience just runs out.

/looks at licensed copies on his shelf

You can get them from Siren Visual in Australia if you have a region-agnostic (or region 4) method to play them.

Kai might get licensed for region 1, but I heard Dennou Coil's rights were held by a book publisher who's not interested in overseas licensing; Siren only got it because someone there had a friend with the JP company, or something along those lines.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
A few months ago, they were watching a bit of Case Closed on the site; I made sure to stress to my 15-year-old that they needed to try to watch FUNimation's legal streams of the series at YouTube as much as possible.

Actually Detective Conan would be a great example of a show you have to pirate if you want to watch. One of the greatest and most iconic anime series of all time isn't available here. Sounds like a reason to watch fansubs to me. Tons of other countries in the world get it and air it, but not America.

I know what you mean. Why, only a mere 130 episodes of Case Closed are available for purchase.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I know what you mean. Why, only a mere 130 episodes of Case Closed are available for purchase.

One-hundred-thirty sounds like a lot of episodes, but it's only like a fifth of the total number of episodes out there. It would be like a twenty-five-episode series only having five episodes released in English, and if you want to watch the other twenty you have to pirate.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's nothing really wrong with this. Unless you're a very small country like Norway (who makes The Longest Journey video game series) foreign sales shouldn't matter that much. I doubt Nickelodeon cares if people in Budapest are downloading Spongebob Squarepants episodes; they can survive without the foreign market. Japanese sales are all that matter in terms of if a series is considered a success and gets more seasons or if it's a failure. Heck, it applies to American shows as well given some instances I've heard of series being more popular in the UK than the US. Granted, there's no proof outside the creator's word so he could be lying and just being butt-pained over being cancelled, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

There are exceptions to this. Like Toei ordering more Dragon Ball Kai episodes because it did very well overseas and we're possibly seeing another Big O situation with Deadman's Wonderland. Not to mention this has happened with several Japanese games that got more installments because it sold very well overseas.
Texas84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Tarantino doesn't know squat about the antebellum south. Neither does the author of this article. Do some research.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
Goku killed plenty of characters without giving it a second thought when he was a child. I'm not sure why Toriyama decided to make that shift later with adult Goku wanting to avoid killing anyone.

Toriyama fanboys seemed to have adopted this for their main characters but in a series about Ninja it makes the least amount of sense.

Goku didn't kill Vegeta because he wanted to fight him again; plain and simple. If Vegeta died he'd lose out on the only guy who gave him a good fight.

But aside from that, it's less about censorship and more about thematics. Luffy doesn't kill the villains because according to Oda having your dream shattered is just as bad/worse than dying, or something like that. Redemption and friendship are huge parts of shounen, so the characters tend to offer the villains this in a lot of shows. Naruto especially does this with characters like Gaara, Pain, Sasuke, and etcetera. Fairy Tail is probably the biggest adherant to this rule. So many villains in that show redeem themselves and become friends/allies of the heroes. Detective Conan doesn't want to kill the criminals he catches, no matter what they did. He goes so far to save the ones that try to commit suicide after they've been caught. If you watch shounen you should expect these recurring themes to pop up. People can be killed just fine. Violence isn't much of a concern, but the thematics can be used in different ways.

dtm42 wrote:
One-hundred-thirty sounds like a lot of episodes, but it's only like a fifth of the total number of episodes out there. It would be like a twenty-five-episode series only having five episodes released in English, and if you want to watch the other twenty you have to pirate.

Not to mention the countless movies and OVAs. If you break it down it looks like

130/680+ Episodes (19%)
6 out of 17+ Movies (35%)
0 out of 27+ OVAs (0%)

OVAs seem to be the biggest problem R1 faces. Coming out with a new episode or two long after the series was released in the US can be a big problem. Did Sentai ever release the High School of the Dead OVA? Not many companies seem to be in a position to license one episode then release it. Let alone any shorts or specials that come out (all the Oreimo animated commentary being cut for the US, for example)

Haterater wrote:
There are exceptions to this. Like Toei ordering more Dragon Ball Kai episodes because it did very well overseas and we're possibly seeing another Big O situation with Deadman's Wonderland. Not to mention this has happened with several Japanese games that got more installments because it sold very well overseas.

Not exactly. Big O got more episodes because Cartoon Network directly funded them. The Japanese company didn't do it on their own because they saw it succeeding in the US. The west still paid for it and had to commission them. Entirely different situation than video sales. As for Kai, we still don't know the details surrounding it aside from a leaked post by a seiyuu on their blog, unless I missed something. However, I do know the upcoming DBZ movie was directly funded by outside people. So in this case, it may have been directly commissioned as well. However, this isn't like companies that see a series sold 10K in Japan so they go ahead and make another season.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
A few months ago, they were watching a bit of Case Closed on the site; I made sure to stress to my 15-year-old that they needed to try to watch FUNimation's legal streams of the series at YouTube as much as possible.

Actually Detective Conan would be a great example of a show you have to pirate if you want to watch. One of the greatest and most iconic anime series of all time isn't available here. Sounds like a reason to watch fansubs to me. Tons of other countries in the world get it and air it, but not America.

You also have to consider that Detective Conan doesn't have any legal streams. That said, the part of the series that actually made it to the States is extremely cheap to purchase now.

It is sad that to even watch one of the best shows ever that piracy is one of two options but it sadly is. Learning Japanese and importing is the other. I'm still in the wait and hope crowd, but I can't say that it is fun. I'd easily pick Conan as the one anime to watch if I could only choose one. Being stuck on episode 123 knowing how much is out there has me continually champing at the bit. But hey, Funi did say 5%...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6