• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fantagraphics Adds Inio Asano's Nijigahara Holograph

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I've read Asano's work that Viz released and enjoyed it. I'm curious to see what his spin on the horror genre will be like.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah - more Inio Asano is always welcome.
... bloody France and their Bonne nuit Punpun.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
You guys! I love Inio Asano but I'm a giant weenis and don't like scary things... can anyone give an idea of how creepy or gross this'll be? A Google Images search doesn't bring up anything too bad but I'm not sure... Will my love for Asano prevail in the end?! Dun dun dun...
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
That's a really nice pick for Fantagraphics. They're releasing some really good manga titles.

I wonder if they'd be interested in publishing Punpun too...it's getting kind of long but it would definitely be worth it.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Holy hell. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Fantagraphics licensing Nijigahara Holograph is important for a few reasons: (1) more Inio Asano, in particular his most ambitious and experimental manga. (2) Fantagraphics expanding their licensing of manga titles. Up until now, we've only had two Moto Hagio titles and an erratic release schedule for Wandering Son, so this is very promising. (3) More experimental/"risky" titles like Nijigahara Holograph are now possible if this does well.

I'm really excited for it. Good news to start off the New Year.

Myaow wrote:
You guys! I love Inio Asano but I'm a giant weenis and don't like scary things... can anyone give an idea of how creepy or gross this'll be?

Nijigahara Holograph is disturbing, but not particularly graphic nor "scary" in a conventional sense. If you are fine with the darkness of Goodnight Punpun, then you should be fine with this.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Yesss. The summary and page from the House of 1000 Manga article on Asano made it out to be quite interesting, and I'm sure Fantagraphics is going to make their edition a stunner. Horror's my kind of thing too, so... Can't wait!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh god yes! Great start to 2013!
I was (naively) hoping Viz would step up to the plate and didn't think anyone would.

I wouldn't quite call it horror though. It's dark, but the story's intention is never to be scary. At least from what I remember. It's about as scary as a David Lynch movie (not very).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Great addition, Fantagraphics!

I'll make sure to pre-order early~
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Nijigahara Holograph is disturbing, but not particularly graphic nor "scary" in a conventional sense. If you are fine with the darkness of Goodnight Punpun, then you should be fine with this.

Thank you Bonham my buddy! That's reassuring; I'll look forward to this release! What good news!
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just cool that people are still psyched to read Inio Asano. Punpun aside, his popularity seems to have cooled after the initial burst of scanlations of his manga years back, along with Viz having not released anything of his recently. It's a nice change.

bahamut623 wrote:
I wouldn't quite call it horror though. It's dark, but the story's intention is never to be scary. At least from what I remember. It's about as scary as a David Lynch movie (not very).

The Lynch comparison is actually pretty dead-on (oblique narrative, neurotic characters, the looming threat of violence, the motif of holes and darkness, the general weirdness of it all). But I would say Lynch's films can be and sometimes are scary: the first forty or so minutes of Lost Highway is filled with tension, certain scenes of Mulholland Dr. are more frightening than nearly every other horror film I've seen (such as the scene at Winkies, which has left me and every other person I know who's seen it freaking out), and Inland Empire has material ripped straight from nightmares.

Lynch reminds me a bit of Ingmar Bergman in how he incorporates conventions of horror films into non-horror narratives. Asano's Nijigahara Holograph also falls under this distinction. And while it may not be scary (can a manga really be terrifying in a way a movie or novel can be, though?), it really does add to the deranged, apocalyptic nature of the story. Considering how complex the narrative is, the horror aspect grounds the manga to assure first-time readers that, yes, all of these different plot threads do have an impact on one another.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Definitely not horror. It's dark though, but most of Asano's works are.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
No release date for this announced?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1