• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Reloaded: Spectacular Spectacular

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I laughed when Key stated that Wolf's Rain was boring and pretentious. I dont think the series is pretentious I just think it's completely unremarkable and doesn't stand out like it should considering the staff.

As for Haruhi I watched a few episodes, and I stopped watching it when they announced that they were introducing the "Big breasted character" and then immediatly put her in a bunny suit outfit in a really creepy scene. I dont need a moe anime in which the staff constantly winks at me whenever they do stuff that I hate.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for Haruhi I watched a few episodes, and I stopped watching it when they announced that they were introducing the "Big breasted character" and then immediatly put her in a bunny suit outfit in a really creepy scene. I don't need a moe anime in which the staff constantly winks at me whenever they do stuff that I hate.

You mean the first episode? Unless you watched it in chronological instead of broadcast order...

As a correction on Bantorra, that starts fall 2009, just clinching the decade.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it might have been episode 2 that scene just creeped me out and Haruhi's personality didn't exactly win me over. The problem with Haruhi is that I was sold on it as some clever show that parodies moe, when it came off like a moe show thats just self aware.

Then again stuff like this isn't helping http://www.amazon.com/Kyons-Sister-FREEing-Version-Figure/dp/B000V3PWX6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_4
No Comment

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A part of me deep down wishes you karaoked the entire Podcast.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for Haruhi I watched a few episodes, and I stopped watching it when they announced that they were introducing the "Big breasted character" and then immediatly put her in a bunny suit outfit in a really creepy scene. I don't need a moe anime in which the staff constantly winks at me whenever they do stuff that I hate.

Pffffffft

>excellen_in_a_bunny_suit.jpg
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This was a great show guys very interesting picks some of them I did not see coming at all. I know for sure I really will have to check out Moribito now also Wolf`s rain. I have the Brick of Wolf`s rain I just have not got around to it yet.

Just to make a little note here though I do understand what you guys are saying and I even agree that panel by panel manga to anime thing is boring and not great 99% of the time. I think FMA Brotherhood is the 1% here because I think the story that is is trying to tell is a really damn good one. While I can agree the 2003 show may have little more 'interesting' themes. I think what brotherhood does with its relations between every one characters and the climax of that show is sooo good. Some might say its long but I think the last arc of that show might be perfect I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I don't really know how to put it into words and I wont try and go on an on about it here but just the feeling I get from watching Brotherhood is so much more positive even though I do really like the first show. Who knows maybe I am just a sucker for things more action heavy but I really do think the FMA:B might be the best anime I have ever seen with one flaw that the first 15 really are a hard sit if you have seen the first show but other then that to me it is perfect.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to next year's ANNCast.

I really need to finish Gankutsuou and RahXephon (totally agree that Rah is more planned out than NGE; but I like both series just for different reasons).
Wish the ParaKiss DVD wasn't OOP; thank goodness for Vertical's re-release of the manga. Same with Koi Kaze: the only incest anime that's worth owning for me. I want to try Wolf's Rain and FLAG (even though I'm not a big fan of "found footage" subgenre). I've seen Genius Party, including Baby Blue, and I might import the Australia DVD.

My top 3 2000's, in no particular order:
Full Metal Alchemist (2003)-In my opinion, the best shonen anime I've ever seen. While I do like Brotherhood, the 03' version is more memorable, better pacing (minus the early filler-ish episodes), great characters, thought-provoking without being to much in your face, and the action/comedy/drama is just so great! Also, Col. Roy Mustang will also be one of my favorite characters (anime or not) of all time.

Paranoia Agent-Out of all of Satoshi Kon's very few work, I love this series the most. Possibly one of the few shows that I felt, well, paranoid about and had a sense of worry towards the characters. The message isn't forced (except the English dub in the final episode literally tells you what happened), the commentary of media, rumors, and spoiler[self-victimizing ] is well done, and, while there are a few 'weak' episodes, the show as a whole is so satisfying to re-watch.

(tie) Princess Tutu & Ouran High School Host Club- Two very different shoujos that are equally my absolute favorites of the demographic. Tutu utilizing the dark, dramatic yet mystifying world of ballet and fairy tales into a very well paced story with memorable characters who defy fate, grow, and become something more. Ouran satirizing many cliches without once being mean spirited towards the audience, having a cast that starts out 'flat' but end up becoming so much more, and such a bright, delightful comedy with just a touch of drama.
Beized

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
These episodes have always been so great that its a shame to see we've run out of decades. Are there any other situations which might merit the return of the top ten ANNCast?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting Top 5's. Mine actually got read on the podcast, which was really neat!

As for why I put Paradise Kiss on there, I suppose it's because, as I haven't a huge number of anime or manga, the stuff that show covered and discussed just really resonated with me, as I've yet to see another show like it (Though I'll have to check out Beck after what Hope said.)

What Zac said has also convinced me to check out RahXephon and Wolf's Rain too.

Last edited by lossthief on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
If only there was a way to send in the Top 4, I would have included Clannad: After Story, but alas I understand the reasons, and I wouldn't been able to fit 4 titles in a Tweet message. Anime hyper

But overall, this whole 2-part podcast was intriguing with these user lists and the amount of reflection done in the past 10 years and see which titles stood the test of time and which fell off the wayside. This is especially true for titles everyone went up and arms for when it first broadcasted but then as time went on, well it becomes a fleeting memory. Granted this is only a sample so it's not indicative to the entire anime fandom.

I wonder what the 2010-2019 decade will bring. Better check back when the time comes!
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Here is my top 5, lots of Madhouse:
5. Mushi-Shi (2005, Artland)
4. Kaiba (2008, Madhouse)
3. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006, Madhouse)
2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2003, Production IG)
1. Millennium Actress (2001, Madhouse)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
These episodes have always been so great that its a shame to see we've run out of decades. Are there any other situations which might merit the return of the top ten ANNCast?

There are endless possibilities for lists. Laughing

My top five:

5 - Baccano! -Wonderful example of non-linear storytelling. Interesting, curiosity evoking characters. I notice something new every time I watch.
4 - Oh! Edo Rocket! - funny grown-up humor. Notably creative dub script. The actors sound like they are having fun.
3 - Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit - spoiler[everything Theron said]
2 - Natsume's Book of Friends (seasons 1 & 2) - This show just resonates with me, heartwarming, sentimental, funny and sometimes scary. Lots of cultural folklore, which is my thing.
1 - The Twelve Kingdoms - great world building. Probably one of the best examples of character growth I've seen. I wish everyone hadn't bailed on it, including the author. So much potential... Sad
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist? Adult anime? Erm, it's a show for kids... kind of a silly thing to call it for adults. I must admit this is the first time I heard of a proper anime adaption being a bad thing; that's usually what the majority wants and hates when an anime spits all over the source material. Especially in FMA's case where Brotherhood seems to be unanimously considered better since the manga was so huge and people wanted a proper adaption. To me it sounds like they probably just has a lot of nostalgia for it since they saw it as a kid, especially since they mentioned it was their 'first'. Hard to beat something with that much sentimental value to someone.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain was beautiful garbage. Gorgeous production values, but almost no likable characters. The wolf characters are a bunch of flat stereotypes with no discernable personalities of their own. The human characters were much more interesting, but got the short stick because they weren't the wolves and it's clear the writer wanted us to care more about those cardboard cut-outs. And actually, outside of a few choice tunes, it's one of Yoko Kanno's weaker soundtracks. And four clip episodes is ridiculous. If you have four clip episodes in your show, it's not a good show. Period. And it just f***ing drags and drones on and on, so needlessly.

Durarara was so damn bland compared to Baccano. I never made it past the fifth or sixth episode. The characters are so dull.

Also, Ladd gets automail.

Moribito is great, very understated, without a lot of pretention, and having a wonderfully creative world. Balsa comes off as a more modest version of Major Kusanagi in GitS. Or maybe she's a bit like Izumi Curtis in FMA. And I think the English dub is very solid. I don't think it's as well crafted or stimulating as Stand Alone Complex, though.

I liked the first season of SAC better than the second, mostly because I found the Individual Eleven/Kuze thing was as a little too convoluted.

Drinking game: take a shot every time Hope says "uh" or "um". Alcohol poisoning in no time!

My top 3 for the aughts:

1. (TIE) Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist
2. Baccano!
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

I know I was cheating with both FMA shows in #1, but I love both of those shows equally. The first had this great emotional impact to it and thematic strength that carries throughout. Some truly excellent ideas, even at the end, and I even liked the movie. Brotherhood, on the other hand, is more internally consistent, has a more thorough, detailed world, since it is the original author's complete vision. The world feels really lived-in and it's easy to have favorite characters. I think they both have as many strengths and flaws. I own both, the first on DVD and Brotherhood on Blu-Ray, and I cherish them.

The first series actually restored my faith in anime after a period of drought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on FMA and the Iraq War is this. Most of the similarities between them either predate the actual Iraq War because it was in the manga (the Ishvalans dark skin, the desert landscape) or are actually only found in the manga (in the first anime you never really see any suicide bombers while you see one in the manga, and the Amestrian army suffers large amounts of casualties by guerilla tactics in the manga whereas the Ishvalans are never really shown as fighting back in the first anime). The changes they made to the Ishvalan war largely have nothing to do with the Iraq War such as spoiler[special forces slaughtering everyone in a temple, and the use of Philosophers stone on a large level].

The series I equate more with the Iraq War is Gundam Seed Destiny were Logos spoiler[allows a terrorist attack on the Earth so they can use it to blame the Plants and invade them]. Also the main mechas are named after the War on Terror (which was originally called Infinite Justice but renamed Enduring Freedom).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17