• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Enter Title Here

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Urusei Yatsura a long running series as well? Question
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that you don't advocate Used DVD and CD sites.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Only about 100 episodes, a couple of movies and a handful of OAV's, nothing even close to those mentioned.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Only about 100 episodes, a couple of movies and a handful of OAV's, nothing even close to those mentioned.
195 episodes of the TV series, 11 episodes of the OVA, and 6 movies. With a run from 1981 to 1991, that's pretty long in my book. Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Of that in Urusei Yatsura, 35 DVD's with 4 episodes each have been released so far as well as the movies.

DVD's 36-40 (Eps 141-160) are slated to be released on the 29th of this month.

OVA DVD 2 (OVA 4 and 5) are to be released May 10th
OVA DVD 3 and 4 (OVA 6 through 9) are to be released June 7th
OVA DVD 5 and 6 (OVA 10 through 13) are to be released July 12th
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sazae-san was longer than Doraemon in terms of total half-hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I thought Sazae-san was longer than Doraemon in terms of total half-hours.

It is. Many of the Doraemon episodes are 10 minutes long.

-t
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tiresias wrote:
195 episodes of the TV series, 11 episodes of the OVA, and 6 movies. With a run from 1981 to 1991, that's pretty long in my book. Wink

It's a good run, but not mindblowingly fantastic. And certainley nowhere near the one's mentioned in the column.
Silvercat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I want to thank Ms. Answerman for also telling us which is the longest running manga, even though it wasn't asked.

I seen 4 fansubbed eps of Monster and wow I wish we could get more people to like this show, so we could get it brought over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

1985 was the end of TV Series, oddly enough Maison Ikkoku toke over it's time slot the following week, but if you count all the Movies and OVAs, it last movie was 1991. Side note, there is a DS Urusei Yatsura in the works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Green You managed to mention Carnivale. *smirks and gives Rebecca a thumbs up*
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
That's right, I forgot that the local rental store only has about half of the series. So yeah, it's twice as long as I said, but still not anywhere near the ones mentioned.
chucklyfun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote
Sadly, AnimeCastle has a very clearly marked Hong Kong Import section. http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/anime-video/cat_dvd-hong-kong-import-.html
Not all of those titles even have DVD's in their section, but some do.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
If she had mentioned UY, she would have had to have mentioned a few other series, like Sailor Moon (200 episodes in just five years; not to mention 18 manga volumes, three theatrical features, a 49+ episode live action series that's still going last I heard, the Super S TV special, the Ami's First Love short film special, and as a side note, Lord knows how many live action "SeraMyu" musicals and several video games for older Ninetendo console(s)). Wink I think she was rather wise to stick to the very, very highest episode counts and longest runs.

If we were to rate franchises based on how much stuff they have, how many films, etc., than UY would definately make the list, alongside Sailor Moon, Gundam (as a whole franchise, that is), and Evangelion is getting there itself (26 episode TV series, then a couple of theatrical features retelling and re-ending it, a Director's Cut, the Platinum/Renewel of Evangelion editions, the in-progress live action film(s), the manga version, the game versions, and the AU "Girlfriend of Steel" manga... which being into shoujo, I wish they'd bring over, actually). Oh, and Lupin III, I suppose, as well; and if we're talking franchises, I'd be remiss if I were to leave out CLAMP as a whole, wouldn't I? 15 years and they're already so successful that even when they put out less-steller stuff or have crappy anime adaptations of their work (Chobits anime has gotten some not-so-rave reviews, for instance), it still usually sells like crazy (save for "Cardcaptors", but then again, that didn't sell because people were too smart to fall for it, what with the original anime being perfectly good on its own without all the messing with it).

Actually, I'm wondering what other franchises, other than the long-running series already mentioned, are the "biggest" over there, especially ones I may have missed. Hmm...

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1