• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Battle Angel Alita

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
Business Jump magazine, whose most famous and longest-running manga is about a man whose passion is women's underwear.

I'm afraid I'm missing the reference—to which series are you referring?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:
Business Jump magazine, whose most famous and longest-running manga is about a man whose passion is women's underwear.

I think it's meant to be a vague reference, just to help show how few well-known titles are/were in Business Jump. Also, I guess it's meant to say something about the kind of audience the magazine aims at. I believe No Side was also from that magazine, and from what i read that was also pretty good.

And if we're bringing up other Business Jump titles to praise, if the manga is anything like the anime then I have to bring up One Outs. Still, just think about the kind of magazine this is: Titles about men who love women's underwear, high-technology future worlds, uber-violence at one of its most extreme, baseball mixed with psychological battles, and rugby starring a guy who died and took the body a girl so that he can continue playing the sport he loves.

Business Jump is either one of the weirdest manga magazines out there, or it's one of the most geniusly-created manga magazines out there!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:

I was referring to Amai Seikatsu. ;)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:

I was referring to Amai Seikatsu. Wink

Ah—thanks. Very Happy <goes>

Edit: Err—what did I say wrong that needed editing by a moderator? "<goes>" certainly isn't what I wrote.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I only know Battle Angel Alita via the anime I rented in Blockbuster years ago but I enjoyed it and know of the manga series via Last Gasp although I did not unfortuately purchase any of the books. I hope VIZ would bring it out again and try making a good anime sreies out of it and if it does Cartoon Network,4KIDS or Hulu or Cunchyroll picks it up for viewing it would make a great sreies and it's themes will still hold up today if not more so. Laughing
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Has Battle Angel Alita been released as a flipped large paperback, like Akira has? The concept and story sound quite interesting to me, but I don't like reading unflipped manga - left-to-right reading is far too ingrained for me.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
Has Battle Angel Alita been released as a flipped large paperback, like Akira has? The concept and story sound quite interesting to me, but I don't like reading unflipped manga - left-to-right reading is far too ingrained for me.

The old (first edition) Viz graphic novels were flipped, but not quite as big as AKIRA's. That only covers the original series, though.
kikkoman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
Some say Last Order is too weird, changed too much, Battle Angel Alita has always been like that. It has this wonderful way of 'growing' the environment and what we know, making one go "whoah!" as the scope of the world grows larger.

I mean, take a look back and see how goddamn weird BAA always been

Alita starts off as a little bald girl pulled out of a junk heap. Her first 1on1 fight is against a Towering Giant Head/Slug that eats brains and steals bodies with a cool homage to 2000AD's Slaine. Ok she's a bounty hunter who uses Martian Cyborg Hokuto no Ken. Her father figure hunts cyber junkies with a Rocket Hammer.

Later on Alita fights a drug dealer who is a Werewolf, that leads to many events that has Alita run away from home and become a Cyborg Rollerskate Death Race Baller (where she races against like one person and 1on1 fights the rest). She then climbs up the rankings against other Cyborg Kungfu Practitioners with Bizarre powers, culminating in a showdown 'race' (which ends up as another 1on1 fight) against the No.1 Strongest Ever Tournament Champion Emperor Jashugan, which ends when Alita GETS PUNCHED BY KENSHIRO.

This brings her back to bounty hunting, but wait! An old enemy comes back as a Nanomachine blue oyster monster that can create Irish Plasma Dogs. In the course of the battle Alita uses a Pistol, a highly illegal and rare weapon for the scrapyard, as the Monster had Transformed to Yet A New And Even Stronger Form as it KANEDAAA's the scrapyard. Alita grows wings.

Stuff happens and the scrapyard bounty hunter is now Super Secret Agent of Tiphares, which leads her to dodging a Canned Food Missile and confronting a Giant Robot Centaur Samurai (who is secretly the surgically removed RAAGE of the son of Desty Nova, who speaks in radio and is a DJ/Master Samurai that can talk to katanas)

Remember when using a pistol was a big deal? Alita now has a Satellite Powered Orbitally Dropped Super Killgun that she one-shots the Giant Centaur Shogun with. More stuff happens, the DJ Samurai goes Super Psychic Cyber Saiyan Level II, Alita ends up in Tiphares where the robots have saggy tits, that nice old guy suddenly kills himself, Alita turns into a giant flower The End.

Battle Angel Alita has always been weird. Every successive story arc in BAA added a new element, new powers, new foes, new rivals, and what I love most of all the scope of the world grew larger. From Cyberpunk city hunting to Motorball Death Racing to Road Warrior WAR, finally getting to Tiphares, that city Hugo dreamed of, that was amazing.

But just as BAA started from the junk heap and reached for the city in the sky, for Last Order the city in heaven is only the beginning, and the journey is amazing.
vilmaxiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
still waiting and reading this manga hope work continues on it soon. it's been a while scence a phase has been released!!last i read was 101!! and something bad alwasy happens to alita at the end of a book that leaves us hanging!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3