• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chrono Crusade DVD 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Yet I still find this to be the Best Gonzo Title yet, only issue is the last episode.
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
I didn't find the characters to be annoying. Crying or Very sad

I love this series. This and Last Exile are my fav Gonzo titles.

Are you talking about the last episode on the DVD or the series? Because I feel like this is one anime that has a definite and well suited ending.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
I completely agree that the dub acting in Chrono is excellent; however, I don't think that Jessica Boone is too "old" for Azmaria. She and Hilary Haag provide the best performances in the series.

Key wrote:
I wouldn’t mind at all if Satella got killed off at some point

Acutally, Key, spoiler[in Episode 22, both Satella and Fiore meet there mutual demise after waging an all-out battle against each other.] Personally, I like Satella; I think she's a dynamic character and a great rival for Rosette. Tiffany Grant's performance as this redheaded German spitfire is just as great as her work dubbing that other German redhead with an attitude problem (I don't need to mention who I'm referring to Wink ).
KarriaChinoRyu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with this review. It's a good series, but the characters completely turned me off.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:

I love this series. This and Last Exile are my favorite Gonzo titles.

Are you talking about the last episode on the DVD or the series? Because I feel like this is one anime that has a definite and well suited ending.

Yes I am talking about the TV series, 22-24 realy pissed me off some because I love the Manga so much.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I found Satella's character in the manga (for what I've read so far) to be more enjoyable. My exposure was to the anime first and at the time, I found her to be an annoying git. It seems like her personality was changed a bit for the anime, which is really kind of disappointing.

As far as the dub goes, when I hear Hillary Haag's performance, I hear Hillary Haag (along with some of her other characters in past series) rather than hearing Rosette. That makes it too difficult for me to appreciate the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
...Hilary Haag's voice is fine...except when she starts screaming...then it's like nails on a chalkboard >.<
And I never thought Chrono to be too whimpy...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
As far as the dub goes, when I hear Hillary Haag's performance, I hear Hillary Haag (along with some of her other characters in past series) rather than hearing Rosette. That makes it too difficult for me to appreciate the dub.

I have never had that problem with Hilary Haag, but I have with Steven Jay Blum. I have great difficulty disassociating him from Spike Speigel (of Cowboy Bebop, of course) anytime I hear him in any other role. Rolling Eyes

And Richard Cox always sounds like Inuyasha to me, no matter what he's actually doing in a given role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Personally I thought the ending for the anime versus the manga was well-established. Daisuke Moriyama kinda sped things up in the end in his version.

I also loved the characters in this series a lot. I never found Satella annoying. In fact, I think she was one of the best protrayed characters that was practically changing in almost episode. She's one of those types of characters who act strong and arrogant but is really weak and eventually redeems herself. (Kinda like Asuka from Eva) I admire such characters since that pretty much reflects a lot of people in this world who are always struggling and try to be gutsy to pull through.

My knowledge of the manga is quite little. However, since Moriyama pretty much allowed Gonzo to develop an entirely different story compared to the manga is quite interesting. It's an alternate universe from the original, but you can choose which Chrono Crusade world that you want to believe in, which I believe was intentional. After all, Moriyama did said that the two Chrono Crusade series should be interpreted as two distinct series and it's all up to the fan.
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Erufu wrote:

I love this series. This and Last Exile are my favorite Gonzo titles.

Yes I am talking about the TV series, 22-24 realy pissed me off some because I love the Manga so much.

Well, I haven't finished the manga due to ADV's lovely release schedule (who comes up with these things?) so I'm guessing that what happens in the series doesn't happen in the manga.

Key wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

I have never had that problem with Hilary Haag, but I have with Steven Jay Blum. I have great difficulty disassociating him from Spike Speigel (of Cowboy Bebop, of course) anytime I hear him in any other role. Rolling Eyes

And Richard Cox always sounds like Inuyasha to me, no matter what he's actually doing in a given role.

I totally agree with that. Blum has a minor role (I think... I've never seen the entire series) on a series that TechTV (G4... whatever) shows and when I first heard it I expected to Spike to stroll onto the screen with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
I think their slipping on the 1920's references abit.

For example, in one of Az's Extra Classes, they make reference of the Gang Wars of the Prohibition Era. Problem is, they make NY seem to be the battleground of the gang wars, and references to Al Capone, when most of the action was in Chicago, where Al Capone had most of his operations and where some of the more imfamous Prohibition Crimes happened (St. Valentines Day Massacre, Elliot Ness, etc.).
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get past the point in the review where the reviewer makes the mistake of calling the lore "Catholic". It's Protestant! PROTESTANT! Big, big difference (well, if you're a Catholic or a Protestant, it's a big difference)!

Sorry, sorry... but, I can't stand it when a review has a crucial bit of information wrong like that. The Order of Magdelene isn't a Catholic organization - the uniforms for the women may resemble those of Catholic nuns, but they're not actually nuns. It's a Protestant group.

Hey, anybody ever read the Orlando Sentinel? I'm thinking of no longer reading any of their movie reviews lately, because there's one reviewer that keeps saying completely wrong crap about anime - and he clearly hates it with an unrivaled passion AND always take his frustration out on it in his reviews (you'd think they'd know enough to stop forcing him to watch anime, but apparently his editors are too stupid to realize that they're seriously offending some anime fans).

For instance, he called anime "a genre of Japanimation". WTF? First, it's not a genre, second, almost nobody uses "Japanimation" anymore, third, by American definition they are the SAME EXACT THING... and fourth, by technical definition, it's the reverse, as "anime" literally just means animation. Confused

Oh, and that same review? That was of the Cowboy Bebop movie, in which he once again got his facts completely screwy, and didn't seem to care - he stated that it was "based on a comic book", and that being animated, was probably "closer to being a direct comic book adaptation than live action"...

No. Wrong-ola. The CB movie was done as a "lost episode" for the TV series. It was, hence, based on the TV SERIES. The comics werne't the original story, they, too, came from the people who made the anime, and are a spinoff product, NOT what it, or the movie, were based from! Christ, all it takes is ten minutes on Google or ANN to find out that much!

Oh, and he ragged on the characters, the writing, the plot (which any CB fan can tell you wasn't half as good as the rest of the anime), the animation... yet he "neglected" to mention the one thing that would redeem it, indeed, the one thing pretty much EVERYONE mentions when they talk about Bebop: the music. That's right, he reviewed the CB movie without one damn word about the soundtrack. He spent the entire introduction of his review not even TALKING about the movie in question, but rather, ragging on "anime, that peculiar genre of Japanimation", with if I recall its "Speed Racer lip flaps" (the CB dub is a HELL of a lot better than the Speed Racer's dub! Come ON!)... and then doesn't even mention the soundtrack. And he got his background info completely incorrect, to boot!

I can't stand it when reviewers can't keep their facts straight. While this review is nowhere near as bad as the one I just mentioned, of course, it does have an error that could be considered a pretty big one - and a silly one, since this is a review not of the TV series, but supposedly of a specific DVD! If this reviewer's seen the other DVDs, at least (I haven't gotten up so far as volume four), then they should have checked out the DVD extras, including the audio commentary, which for volume 1 specifically mentions that it's a Protestant group, not Catholic. Catholicism and Protestantism are two often VERY different branchs of Christianity, and should be referenced as such, especially when it's canon specific to the series, as in this case.

In any case, I've noticed that people tend to either like/love the dub, or hate it. Personally, I like the '20s slang - which fits perfectly well, since it's a period piece - and while I definately agree that when Hilary Haag shreiks, it's ear-splitting, she does a pretty good job otherwise (then again, I haven't heard her in anything else before). I'm glad I'm not the only one, though, who can't help but think of Spike Speigal whenever Blum has a role in another series (or Faye Valentine, whenever whatshername who played her plays opposite him in pretty much anything, as she, too, seems to be a "one trick pony"), or who can't watch the Ranma dub without thinking "gah! It's Inu-yasha! What's he doing here?". Laughing Personally, while I understand using people for "signature voices", it does seem like you'd want to find actors with bigger ranges. As someone working on an animation project and who's doing a lot of VA work for it, I can tell you, it's a lot more advantageous and interesting if you can, you know, change your voice a little? Wink That said, whoever played Faye does have a nice voice; I don't mind so much hearing her all over the place, but I still wonder if she even has another voice in those vocal chords of hers.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:20 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

For example, in one of Az's Extra Classes, they make reference of the Gang Wars of the Prohibition Era. Problem is, they make NY seem to be the battleground of the gang wars, and references to Al Capone, when most of the action was in Chicago, where Al Capone had most of his operations and where some of the more imfamous Prohibition Crimes happened (St. Valentines Day Massacre, Elliot Ness, etc.).

Well, the creator does state in one of the mangas that he hopes an American audience can forgive him on his interpretation of a 1920s America. He said he was really nervous about how well it would be recieved in America. Plus, it's fiction, and fiction has a right to do whatever. It's not a historical fiction work, either. It just happens to take place in America. So, I think we can all get over this "mistake" and continue to love Chrno Crusade.

Andromeda wrote:
I couldn't get past the point in the review where the reviewer makes the mistake of calling the lore "Catholic". It's Protestant! PROTESTANT! Big, big difference (well, if you're a Catholic or a Protestant, it's a big difference)!

Sorry, sorry... but, I can't stand it when a review has a crucial bit of information wrong like that. The Order of Magdelene isn't a Catholic organization - the uniforms for the women may resemble those of Catholic nuns, but they're not actually nuns. It's a Protestant group.

Hey, anybody ever read the Orlando Sentinel? I'm thinking of no longer reading any of their movie reviews lately, because there's one reviewer that keeps saying completely wrong crap about anime - and he clearly hates it with an unrivaled passion AND always take his frustration out on it in his reviews (you'd think they'd know enough to stop forcing him to watch anime, but apparently his editors are too stupid to realize that they're seriously offending some anime fans).

For instance, he called anime "a genre of Japanimation". WTF? First, it's not a genre, second, almost nobody uses "Japanimation" anymore, third, by American definition they are the SAME EXACT THING... and fourth, by technical definition, it's the reverse, as "anime" literally just means animation. Confused

Oh, and that same review? That was of the Cowboy Bebop movie, in which he once again got his facts completely screwy, and didn't seem to care - he stated that it was "based on a comic book", and that being animated, was probably "closer to being a direct comic book adaptation than live action"...

No. Wrong-ola. The CB movie was done as a "lost episode" for the TV series. It was, hence, based on the TV SERIES. The comics werne't the original story, they, too, came from the people who made the anime, and are a spinoff product, NOT what it, or the movie, were based from! Christ, all it takes is ten minutes on Google or ANN to find out that much!

Oh, and he ragged on the characters, the writing, the plot (which any CB fan can tell you wasn't half as good as the rest of the anime), the animation... yet he "neglected" to mention the one thing that would redeem it, indeed, the one thing pretty much EVERYONE mentions when they talk about Bebop: the music. That's right, he reviewed the CB movie without one damn word about the soundtrack. He spent the entire introduction of his review not even TALKING about the movie in question, but rather, ragging on "anime, that peculiar genre of Japanimation", with if I recall its "Speed Racer lip flaps" (the CB dub is a HELL of a lot better than the Speed Racer's dub! Come ON!)... and then doesn't even mention the soundtrack. And he got his background info completely incorrect, to boot!

I can't stand it when reviewers can't keep their facts straight. While this review is nowhere near as bad as the one I just mentioned, of course, it does have an error that could be considered a pretty big one - and a silly one, since this is a review not of the TV series, but supposedly of a specific DVD! If this reviewer's seen the other DVDs, at least (I haven't gotten up so far as volume four), then they should have checked out the DVD extras, including the audio commentary, which for volume 1 specifically mentions that it's a Protestant group, not Catholic. Catholicism and Protestantism are two often VERY different branchs of Christianity, and should be referenced as such, especially when it's canon specific to the series, as in this case.

In any case, I've noticed that people tend to either like/love the dub, or hate it. Personally, I like the '20s slang - which fits perfectly well, since it's a period piece - and while I definately agree that when Hilary Haag shreiks, it's ear-splitting, she does a pretty good job otherwise (then again, I haven't heard her in anything else before). I'm glad I'm not the only one, though, who can't help but think of Spike Speigal whenever Blum has a role in another series (or Faye Valentine, whenever whatshername who played her plays opposite him in pretty much anything, as she, too, seems to be a "one trick pony"), or who can't watch the Ranma dub without thinking "gah! It's Inu-yasha! What's he doing here?". Laughing Personally, while I understand using people for "signature voices", it does seem like you'd want to find actors with bigger ranges. As someone working on an animation project and who's doing a lot of VA work for it, I can tell you, it's a lot more advantageous and interesting if you can, you know, change your voice a little? Wink That said, whoever played Faye does have a nice voice; I don't mind so much hearing her all over the place, but I still wonder if she even has another voice in those vocal chords of hers.

-Andromeda

Actually, the creator has stated that the Magdalen Order isn't based on any real organization, so to say that it is Catholic is correct. And they are actually considered nuns in the Catholic church.

So, I read the part where you say it's on the audio commentary that it's Protestant. If this commentary is in English, I would ignore it.

OK, I've searched everywhere for the interview to see if it's posted somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it, and my manga is 3 states away right now. I am 99.9% sure that an interview contained in one of the first 3 books says that he didn't base it off a real order and that it is all made up. Now that I think about it, I don't know if you meant it was a real order or if it's fiction but Protestant. Now I've just confused myself, but I'm sure it's Catholic.

In any case, I don't exactly trust English translators sometimes. I don't know if they really grasp the concept of what they are translating. For example, the couple that translated Spirited Away was talking about how they got confused when spoiler[whats-his-face spit up that magic seal and that black thing was around it. They thought that the seal was referring to an animal and the black thing was the seal yet one of the big elements of the movie was how much power your name had and how much power your name's seal could have].

And that reviewer sounds like a total idiot when it comes to anime, but he's probably being told to review it, so you can't really listen to his reviews. And not everybody knows how easy it is to access info about anime, so cut him a little slack.

And is the VA professional or amatuer? ignore my spelling, it's really late/early
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:54 am Reply with quote
I have the Chrno Crusade manga, and the interview with Daisuke Moriyama was printed in Vols. 2 and 3. The first half of the interview explained where he came up with the ideas for Chrno, while the second half revealed why he became a manga artist. Here's part of the interview with Moriyama:

ADV: Why did you choose to set the story in the 20s? Did that require you to do a lot of research into America in the 20s?
Daisuke Moriyama: The main reason was that when I came up with the idea to deal with the theme of time [in the story], I wanted to place it in some bygone era rather than in the present. I wanted to do the kind of story that an elderly grandfather and grandmother could tell, this grand tale of the lives they led when they were younger. I set it in the 1920s because, well, there are people from that time alive even today...I feel like it was a colorful, glamorous time, when the shadow of war had retreated. The actual research, about six months' worth, was done when I first started on the project. I wouldn't exactly call that amount of time sufficient, but I investigated various documents to at least capture the feel [of the time].

ADV: Much of the Catholicism (like Fatima) and the demonology seems like it is based on real religious history. How much research did you do on the religious (and demonic) aspects of Chrno Crusade?
DM: That, too, began at the project's start date, April or May of '98. Again, not really what you'd call a sufficient amout of time, but... I made [researching] my first priority. Then, once the story had begun running serially, I began the gradual process of researching to more detail.

ADV: How do you feel about Chrno Crusade being introduced in the US?
DM: It's an honor, while at the same time a source of tremendous pressure. To be perfectly honest, I think stories about "America" that are done by foreigners can get pretty laughable. But the bond between Rosette and Chrono, their convictions even in the face of adversity - these are what I thought were the important points, and what I portrayed so that people of all ages, in the East and the West, could relate to it. I'll be thankful if [fans] would focus their attention on the characters, and the convictions that lie in their hearts.

Source: Chrono Crusade, Vols. 2-3
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Well, the creator does state in one of the mangas that he hopes an American audience can forgive him on his interpretation of a 1920s America. He said he was really nervous about how well it would be recieved in America. Plus, it's fiction, and fiction has a right to do whatever. It's not a historical fiction work, either. It just happens to take place in America. So, I think we can all get over this "mistake" and continue to love Chrno Crusade.

Considering that Az's Extra Classes is an extra on the DVD, ADV could've at least corrected the Translator notes to reflect factual truth instead of going gung-ho with it as is.

I really don't care about the anime itself, but seriously, when an extra is trying to explain some of the tidbits and little quirks in the Anime itself, can't they at least be accurate instead of turning into a History vs. Hollywood type of situation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2