• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NEWS: 10 Manga Publishers to Boycott Tokyo Anime Fair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elisian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
...or artists could just stop drawing rape, etc.......Wow no rape....huh? Where would anime/ manga be without rape? Better maybe!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
...or artists could just stop drawing rape, etc.......Wow no rape....huh? Where would anime/ manga be without rape? Better maybe!

don't be a tool
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To finger point at the US is wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if certain backlash over rapeplay isn't involved in this.

That sort of makes me laugh because I'm so sure the governor of Tokyo himself did some raping.

I mean, look at his tough colonel style. He's violent, doesn't respect others, and has enough power to silence a victim.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Onizuka666, how the @#$@#(! did you manage to turn this news against the American government?Rolling Eyes You do realize that the American government has absolutely nothing to do with this piece of news, right? This is an internal matter for Japan. It's happening because the Tokyo Government is trying to censor its own media (well, more than USUAL). Believe it or not, most Japanese people don't really care about the US at all (I live in Japan, so I feel like I can say that).

Anyway, kudos to Kadokawa for starting this, and also for the 9 companies that jumped on board. As far as I can tell, the only major publisher NOT boycotting this so far is Gangan (run by Square-Enix). I wonder how long it will take them to get on board?

Most Japanese citizens don't care about the US but the politicians sure do. The LDP is strongly aligned with the US and pressure from UN groups certainly doesn't help.

Quote:

Er, I think you've had enough of the cool-Aid. How can you believe the US has something to do with this when our own standards aren't even as strict as the sanitation that Tokyo is said to be aiming for. This whole thing came about because Tokyo is run by bigots, nothing more.

There may not be explicit requests (although who knows what goes on behind closed doors as we've seen with the leaked cables) but it's naive to think that Ishihara, the LDP and factions of the DPJ aren't influenced by conservative ideologies from beyond when he admits himself as much:
The Governor Strikes Again – Gays Deficient and Bill Opponents need Christian Morals
Elisian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Elisian wrote:

don't be a tool

I mean tentacles would be out of a job...Crap!
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Onizuka666, how the @#$@#(! did you manage to turn this news against the American government?Rolling Eyes You do realize that the American government has absolutely nothing to do with this piece of news, right? This is an internal matter for Japan. It's happening because the Tokyo Government is trying to censor its own media (well, more than USUAL). Believe it or not, most Japanese people don't really care about the US at all (I live in Japan, so I feel like I can say that).

Anyway, kudos to Kadokawa for starting this, and also for the 9 companies that jumped on board. As far as I can tell, the only major publisher NOT boycotting this so far is Gangan (run by Square-Enix). I wonder how long it will take them to get on board?

I can see why that user put what he/she did Remember The US Government pushes other countries to have our Copyright System...who's truly to say our government put this into play, after all our Government tries to restrict violent games all the time[/code]
Harafan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Its clear this is another clandestine U.S push to oppress japanese works once again.

Of course it's in now way "clear." The main backer is the co-author of the famous anti-American-influence book The Japan that Can Say No. He's Japanese right wing, which is about as willing to accept American influence as the American right wing is to accept European influence.

Is your idea possible? Well, I guess some odd conspiracy theories could be true, and in that sense, it's a possibility. But is it probable? Considering the players and their stated positions. Absolutely not.

Harafan
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Of course it could also work in their favor (the obvious aim of the boycott) since the bill is causing so much grief and people may decide the companies know best since nothing the bill claims about the questionable material causing deviant, suicidal, or violent thoughts or behaviors in youths has been proven to be true. Instead of wasting tax payer's money on this bill they should be studying whether or not their claims are even possible. So far studies in the US have yet to prove sufficiently that violent entertainment can cause violent behavior in children. Some children are just violent, some peak sexually earlier than others, some question their gender while still in elementary school without being pre exposed to any of this stuff. That's just the way people are, we're all different, no amount of government intervention will change that.
Emerje

Or they could just have votes to pass the bill in and this is seen as a last ditch effort to get some swing votes which fails. TAF has nothing to do with the bill. Boycotting only affects the community and any worker in the industry whose paycheck depended on that event. That would be like saying any Tokyo government sponsored event would be boycotted. I bet the TAF has enjoyed support from the government for years. If they can't have anything to do with the event, then they should offer to fully sponsor it this year thereby releasing the Tokyo government from its responsibility as a sponsor.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Or they could just have votes to pass the bill in and this is seen as a last ditch effort to get some swing votes which fails. TAF has nothing to do with the bill. Boycotting only affects the community and any worker in the industry whose paycheck depended on that event. That would be like saying any Tokyo government sponsored event would be boycotted. I bet the TAF has enjoyed support from the government for years.

I'm a bit tired of constantly telling you that TAF is not something like Anime Expo or Otakon. Furthermore, you kept saying "TAF has nothing to do with the bill." Now read this paragraph and think again:

Quote:
I have high expectations that this fair will provide the perfect setting for interaction between exhibitors and all those concerned with the anime industry. Also, I am sure that this fair will allow visitors to experience the attractions and dynamism of Japanese anime, beloved and acclaimed by people all over the world.

-- Chairman, Shintaro Ishihara (Governor of Tokyo)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
configspace wrote:
Elisian wrote:

don't be a tool

I mean tentacles would be out of a job...Crap!

yeah well, even if you support this bill, it won't put them out of a job either, since that stuff is already restricted (although I suppose you'd like for anything you disagree with to be banned altogether)

It bears repeating what Dan Kanemitsu had said:
Quote:

One of the frustrating things that opponents of the revision bill keep facing is that advocates of the bill keep talking about going after “hard core” material, when the bill is not about that if you read the details.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
You know, there is a simple solution to all of this, which is to move the fair outside of Tokyo. Seriously, Kyoto welcomes animators and mangaka with open arms. It wouldn't surprise me if they really came out on top through all of this.

Anyway, I will concede that maybe pressure from the US or UN is a possible motivation, but I will stand by my earlier point, which is that when everything is said and done, this is an internal conflict. Also, that I think Kadokawa et all are making the right move. Ishihara seems to think he can make these statements without backlash or consequence. To have not only 10 companies, but THESE 10 companies take a stand is a big deal.

Also, Square Enix is the only really BIG publisher that we have yet to hear from, but there are a handful of smaller publishers that have yet to weigh in, like Zero-Sum, Big Comic Spirits, and others that have only had 1 or 2 breakout hits.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
He also has it in for homosexuals: http://mainichi.jp/select/wadai/news/20101208k0000m040122000c.html

The funny is part is this probably the LEAST offensive thing Ishihara has done (denied Nanking, called the Chinese animals...). How this man keeps getting re-elected is beyond me. with all those big names backing out, this will be a disaster of epic proportions.

My guess is the majority of the populace shares his political, racial and social views, so therefore they keep re-electing him. That's actually what's frightening.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
So, do they not have any laws against racism and stuff in Japan?

Imo, rather than sharing his opinions, most probably don't even care. He's attacking a minority, and while at that if he does one or two petty things to please the masses he should be alright for the next election.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Or they could just have votes to pass the bill in and this is seen as a last ditch effort to get some swing votes which fails. TAF has nothing to do with the bill. Boycotting only affects the community and any worker in the industry whose paycheck depended on that event. That would be like saying any Tokyo government sponsored event would be boycotted. I bet the TAF has enjoyed support from the government for years.

I'm a bit tired of constantly telling you that TAF is not something like Anime Expo or Otakon. Furthermore, you kept saying "TAF has nothing to do with the bill." Now read this paragraph and think again:

Quote:
I have high expectations that this fair will provide the perfect setting for interaction between exhibitors and all those concerned with the anime industry. Also, I am sure that this fair will allow visitors to experience the attractions and dynamism of Japanese anime, beloved and acclaimed by people all over the world.

-- Chairman, Shintaro Ishihara (Governor of Tokyo)

So he's on the executive committee. Lots of events have government funding to encourage tourism in that particular area. TAF is an event with government fundiing and has nothing to do with the bill. If TAF funding was listed within the bill, then you'd have something.

And if you think that there's no tourism dollars to be made when distributors go on business trips, then think again.

And I truly don't know where the "constantly telling me..." is coming from. If you're tired of reading my thought, then move on.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
At first when I read the article I was like WTH why are all these publishers taking it out on an anime convention? Just because an anime convention will be showcasing less of the explicit stuff is not their fault. Then I read the part TAF executives are part of the comittee headlining the Youth Ordinance. And it helps to realize that big anime conventions like this in Japan are highly commercialized and regulated.

I think it's a major thorn in their side to have all these publishers pulling the plug. Since lots of them are associated with anime producers as well. I would now gladly like to see TAF go extinct, perhaps privately organized, fan-run events will take its place and the support from industry will spill over away from corporate interests more into smaller-scale interests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4