• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - 2012: Well, That Happened, I Guess

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if what Mr. Toole is saying is true and I have no idea that it is,but Discotek is going to be releasing "Mad Bull 34" on DVD. Now I read many of the reviews of this one,even Mr. Sevakis did something on this in his "Buried Treasure/Garbage" column some years ago. I've never seen "Mad Bull 34" before. I've heard about it in reviews. But if the reviews are accurate,I have no idea why this is coming to DVD in February.
This show even got a terrible review in "The Anime Encyclopedia" if I remember correctly. If I remember right,the thing describing it was that it was a little like "Gunsmith Cats,"but without the redeeming features that made "Cats" such a fun view. Again,I don't know if this is true or not but in light of the just plain awful reviews I've read about this,it make one wonder,why would anyone release this on DVD? Why not someone just license "Gunsmith Cats" again and re-release it somewhere else?

It's very good and it's gotten a lot of great reviews. I didn't see any great push for "Mad Bull 34" to be released on DVD. After what I've heard of this,I'm still a bit confused. Why is Discotek releasing this show on DVD? It didn't get any good reviews when it was on VHS. It certainly isn't going to get any good reviews when it comes out on DVD.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know if what Mr. Toole is saying is true and I have no idea that it is,but Discotek is going to be releasing "Mad Bull 34" on DVD. Now I read many of the reviews of this one,even Mr. Sevakis did something on this in his "Buried Treasure/Garbage" column some years ago. I've never seen "Mad Bull 34" before. I've heard about it in reviews. But if the reviews are accurate,I have no idea why this is coming to DVD in February.
This show even got a terrible review in "The Anime Encyclopedia" if I remember correctly. If I remember right,the thing describing it was that it was a little like "Gunsmith Cats,"but without the redeeming features that made "Cats" such a fun view. Again,I don't know if this is true or not but in light of the just plain awful reviews I've read about this,it make one wonder,why would anyone release this on DVD? Why not someone just license "Gunsmith Cats" again and re-release it somewhere else?

It's very good and it's gotten a lot of great reviews. I didn't see any great push for "Mad Bull 34" to be released on DVD. After what I've heard of this,I'm still a bit confused. Why is Discotek releasing this show on DVD? It didn't get any good reviews when it was on VHS. It certainly isn't going to get any good reviews when it comes out on DVD.

It's just because its a so bad its great kinda thing. Like it is off the wall crazy and over the top it might as well be a comedy. Wait is is a comedy because if you look at it any other way you just go crazy.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I don't think they say it anymore, but I always did tend to get really annoyed whenever CrunchyRoll outright stated in interviews & con panels that they "put in a bid for every new show that was coming out every season". I don't doubt that CR looked at each & every new show when each new season came, but I highly doubt that they had the money, manpower, or even interest in honestly trying to get every new show each season. Just like any other anime company over here I'm sure that CR indeed looked at certain shows and simply thought "Maybe someone else will simulcast it" or "Maybe we can get it later as a catalog title" (as rare as catalog-focused streaming licenses are for CR) or even "Why do this show when we can do this other one?". To even say that they try to get everything every season to people in public is silly & unreasonable.

It almost sounds as if you are wanting to say CR is lying without coming straight out and saying so.

Given the number of titles each season they stream that elicit a "Why did you waste money on that?" response, the evidence suggests they are telling the truth. Most fans seem to look at titles that are expected to be popular (i.e., JoJo's and Little Busters) and point those as evidence CR doesn't try to get everything. (To which I counter with pointing out that Funimation or Sentai didn't get them either, and they do pick and choose).

Just because you put in a bid doesn't mean a company isn't flat out going to say "No", or counter-offer with terms that would mean losing money on the property. I'm certain CR wouldn't mind taking the risk of breaking even or perhaps losing a bit on a property if it would drive new traffic to the site, but only a fool would take a bath on something.

Also keep in mind that simulcasting demands a lot of the Japanese side, i.e., that they have all the materials ready enough in advance for the subtitling to get done on time. Some of the publishers might've turned down all offers for a reason like that - considering the rumors that SHAFT had trouble making the airdates for Madoka, it's understandable that it wasn't simulcast. Occasionally they might allow a later delaycast (like Wooser) or catalog release (Madoka).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't see how anyone could make it past more than a few episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates.

I think this was pretty much the consensus at AX. Tatsuo Sato, who was both the director for BSP and Martian Sucessor Nadesico, showed up. Despite putting up a few posters for BSP, everyone was far more interested in seeing him for Nadesico. After the first few people mentioned it to him, he resigned to sketching SD Ruris for everyone.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why not someone just license "Gunsmith Cats" again and re-release it somewhere else?

I would love to see Gunsmith Cats: Bulletproof re-released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
It almost sounds as if you are wanting to say CR is lying without coming straight out and saying so.

I'm not saying that they were lying, because I honestly feel that their ambition, goals, & ideas are noble &, most importantly, honest. Rather, I just think CR was being a little too ballsy in what they were saying just to try to get people on their side of the whole simulcasting idea. I don't mean that in a bad way, too. There is good & simple business talk, and that's what CR was doing by saying that they "bid on everything", but the problem is that when taken with even a little bit of thought that line makes no sense from a business perspective, because there is no way that CR is able to realistically bid on every new show with the intent being to simulcast them. Pretty much, I like the thought & openness they give out when they talk, but I think they were simply trying too hard to sell their message with that line. Like I said, I don't think CR pushes the whole "We bid on everything" message anymore, because there have been too many seasons where they missed out on some big ones.

Quote:
Given the number of titles each season they stream that elicit a "Why did you waste money on that?" response, the evidence suggests they are telling the truth. Most fans seem to look at titles that are expected to be popular (i.e., JoJo's and Little Busters) and point those as evidence CR doesn't try to get everything. (To which I counter with pointing out that Funimation or Sentai didn't get them either, and they do pick and choose).

"Why did you waste money on that?" Well, it's either because those titles that everyone loves to bash actually do end up giving good numbers or it's simply because CR likely got the streaming rights for really cheap. Why say "No" to something cheap & easy? Simple business logic, really, even if it sounds a little silly.

And, really, you're only going to bring up stuff like JoJo & Little Busters, and not bring up stuff like Hyouge Mono, Ring ni Kakero 1, Ginga e Kickoff!! (I guess CR can only handle one soccer anime at a time?), Showa Monogatari, Initial D Fifth Stage, Gon, Inazuma Eleven (which has a noticeable fanbase in North America, surprisingly enough), Danball Senki, and Kaiji, among others? True, there are likely differing reasons why CR was not able to get those shows, but to just simply act like CR (& Sentai & FUNi, as well) is getting a large majority of new shows each season is downright ignorant. Also, I believe Sentai & FUNi have both admitted that they don't "pick & choose" what they want for simulcasts, but rather they get what they have access to. They're testing the waters each season, just like CR.
Durga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
wayne-kun wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
I'm surprised CR doesn't try for Kamen Rider or Super Sentai

I think that is a whole other beast to deal with. I think you would have to pull those from Toei's cold dead hands before they would let their baby's stream on the internet for free. Even though it would make them some money from people out side japan instead of next to nothing.

Toei's been putting up their older tokusatsu on their Youtube page, but it's region-locked and not subbed. Considering that they've already starting streaming some of their content, I don't think it'd be hard for them to take another step and actually stream toku with English subs. The American toku fanbase has only grown larger in the past couple of years. But I don't know what Toei wants, so the future of toku in the States is still dark, but I'd love to see them try to make their toku legal for streaming in the states.
spacko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
I think Toei wants their shows to air on broadcast TV so that kids can watch them and buy the toys, just like in Japan -- and just like Power Rangers already does. They're uninterested in the adult fan audience represented by Crunchyroll, and may even believe that such streaming would cut into their profits. Instead we get stuff like Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, and the failed dubs of magical girl shows like Precure and Magical Do-Re-Mi (both Toei shows). No subbed release of any of these, though, not even streaming.

Quote:
Is anyone out there still staying away from these services entirely?

Yep. Hulu is region-locked, Netflix Canada is a shadow of its American cousin, and my computer is old enough that streaming HD video in a browser is too much to ask anyway -- especially with all the scripting they tend to throw on top of it. I have no desire to dick around with VPNs and new hardware when I already have mplayer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yen Press... well, as long as they keep publishing Yotsuba&!, they can do whatever the hell they want in my book.
Well as long as they keep publishing the Spice and Wolf novels, they can pretty much do the same in mine as well.

Quote:
And Vertical, who take so many risks, brought some new goodies to the table, like The Limit and Heroman.
I'd rather they also took a chance on continuing the rest of the Guin Saga, novels too.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Granted, since then, none of Aniplex USA's offerings have sold out-- even the extremely popular Fate/Zero seems to be a victim of its sky-high price tag

According to Shawne from TRSI from a few ANNCasts ago, they did have to restock boxset 1 even though consumers probably didn't notice.

I know for Bakemonogatari, the first shipment was gone before street date. If you placed a pre-order just a few days before, you had to wait for the 2nd shipment to come in to get your copy.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Re Gerry Anderson, the pre-Gainax "DAICON IV" short has a UFO from his series "UFO", and I think a Thunderbird 3 from his series "Thunderbirds", right after the Star Wars TIE fighters appear.

UFO Series, UFO:
http://ufoseries.com/guide/ufo.html

Wikipedia, Thunderbirds machines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_machines

DAICON IV Opening Animation (Original LD rip - Remastered audio):
(Length 7:24, see 4:00 - 4:05 for spacecraft)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDBIwRe2AE
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

According to Shawne from TRSI from a few ANNCasts ago, they did have to restock boxset 1 even though consumers probably didn't notice.

I know for Bakemonogatari, the first shipment was gone before street date. If you placed a pre-order just a few days before, you had to wait for the 2nd shipment to come in to get your copy.

It's hilarious and pathetic how people think stuff is still sitting in a warehouse, when it's already on the third print.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
So far, I've been liking Digital Manga's licensed releases. I also have Barbara now sitting on my shelf, and ordered Ayako to join it. By far the best news is that DM has started offering Vampire Hunter D backlog again (according to the January Diamond Previews), so eventually I'm hoping to finish collecting this one.

Still, even though I heard good things about it, I'm not sure if I should pick up Unico ... anyone want to try and see if they could sell me on it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2