• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Modern Guilt

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
Both substance and style are important in writing. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest story ever, if what you write reads like crap no one will want to read it and it will quickly sink to the bottom.

I never implied that wasn't the case.

Maigraith wrote:
...you haven't read many of Asimov's short stories have you? or any good short stories in general?

No. Why? Were his most brilliant works things he chose to write about at random?

I've always thought that people's best works would be about things they cared about or were important to them. That just seems obvious to me. But whatever, I'll concede, I guess it's just a case of ideal vs reality. It just seems so sad, though. That's probably why I want to know which Brian prefers.

It's interesting though... It took me FOREVER to completely comprehend Brians response to my question. Plus I've always thought his answers are too long and would benefit from more editing (no offense Brian)... I guess we've always had different views on quality writing...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Though I cannot speak for the mighty Brian, I think a more optimistic follow-up to this sentence...

Answerman wrote:
When I said that aspiring writers need to "write as much as they can to get noticed," that wasn't at all me saying, "churn out a bunch of crap and pray that somebody likes it."

...would be this:

When writing as much as you can, don't write about your second-rate ideas; write about those you want to write about! Whether or not they turn out well, as a creative person or "storyteller", by the time you have finished writing those, you are bound to have new, greater ideas to work on next. And as you go along, your writing skills will improve with each new work.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Didn't know DMX was such an anime fan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Re the first letter - is the definition of career up to debate?

I kind of felt that though the question mentioned career the nature of the question potentially negates the conventional notion of career, perhaps even the notion of success. ex. Van Gogh: painter- success or failure? Miserable yet persistent in life and historic only in death. Yikes!

Sorry, I don't have much more to add but the answer seemed to come from the the 'think inside the box' '10 thing you must do' conventration camp.

Maybe the answer is make your career something else and choose quality over quantity in your writing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I felt bad watching fansubs of Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece.

But then Viz and Funimation started releasing the official subs and I fully support them now. Thanks Crunchyroll, Hulu, internet, and new media.

You're not the only one, I used to watch fansubs anime until I found out that a lot of them carried censorship from Japan. I remember watching Girls Bravo in fansubs and after I saw the dub (which is uncut) and I was so suprised that the fansubs was censored as in the fansubbers used the Japanese network broadcast version (which carried censorship). The same thing happen to Koi Koi 7, and other anime. I have gotten report of people telling me Claymore fansubs, and Air Gears fansubs carried censorship from Japan. That's why I'm glad we got Hulu, Youtube, and Funi's video portal for, I thank them for getting anime stream legally and uncut.

Also about the audience who watch anime. Well, duh, not all anime are for kids, that's like saying cartoon in America are for kids when it is not for some of them (Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Celebrity Deathmatch, Stripperella, uncut version of Ren and Stimpy). there'll be cartoon made for certain audience and that also applied to anime. There's going to be anime aimed at certain audience although most of our today's anime are made for Otaku. Eden of the East I agreed could reach a broader audience, but I wish a network could broadcast that show like Adult Swim, SyFy channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2