Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight [2005-04-24]


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Laruto



Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
chono wrote:
biliano wrote:
I read about Speed Grapher in Anime Insider #21 (p. 26), and it sounds like a very intreging series. There aren't that many anime in the mystery genre that I'm aware of - the only ones that I've seen were the underated Spiral and the overated Dectective Conan - so another mystery series is perfect. Speed Grapher is one of the three new Studio Gonzo titles that was featured in the AI article (the others are Trinity Blood and Basilisk).

Bamboo, you're not the only one who's looking forward to uncut One Piece - I am too (although I don't bash 4Kids as much as most of the forum users here Wink ).


just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And you'll be the first in line! Rolling Eyes some one need to grow up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I think we're going the opposite way of how we should go. If anything, after 9/11, kids should be exposed to MORE death rather than sticking their heads in this happy littke sand world. Hell, my playing with GI Joes were more violent and death filled than the cartoon. Hell, they world we're living in is getting more violent, yet the cartoons are getting more hippy peacenik filled.


I don't think death is something that a TV should have to teach a child. Why should children have to learn about the real world through TV? It's the parents' responsibility to sit down and talk to their kids about stuff like that, answer their questions when they ask them, and realize that they can't substitute the TV for their own parenting.

Too often, parents think that the TV should be the babysitter, when it's the parents that ought to be responsible for their kids. It goes both ways for the censorship issue-- that parents shouldn't flip out when their kids see blood on TV... and realizing that it's unfair for children to have to learn about death through a cartoon, when there parents can talk to them about them using real world events, especially, as you say, for children growing up after 9/11. It comes down to parental responsibility, either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Laruto



Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
I think we're going the opposite way of how we should go. If anything, after 9/11, kids should be exposed to MORE death rather than sticking their heads in this happy littke sand world. Hell, my playing with GI Joes were more violent and death filled than the cartoon. Hell, they world we're living in is getting more violent, yet the cartoons are getting more hippy peacenik filled.


I don't think death is something that a TV should have to teach a child. Why should children have to learn about the real world through TV? It's the parents' responsibility to sit down and talk to their kids about stuff like that, answer their questions when they ask them, and realize that they can't substitute the TV for their own parenting.

Too often, parents think that the TV should be the babysitter, when it's the parents that ought to be responsible for their kids. It goes both ways for the censorship issue-- that parents shouldn't flip out when their kids see blood on TV... and realizing that it's unfair for children to have to learn about death through a cartoon, when there parents can talk to them about them using real world events, especially, as you say, for children growing up after 9/11. It comes down to parental responsibility, either way.


I don't think death so to say is the problem but how a character is killed off. i've never seen a character head get cut of or stabbed etc when being killed, its more in the terms of being blasted by power or blown up by exploison in a building. I guess its more about exicution of the scene it self. even though most characters who die that are noticed are evil and not good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2088
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
It comes down to parental responsibility, either way.


No, seriously. I love you.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD PARENTING

Anyway, on the topic of death, it doesn't have to be present in every cartoon. I mean, sure people die everyday, but how often are they someone you care about?

And it does seem that when people die, it's often "unseen" such as an explosion, or getting crushed or an off-stage car accident, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I read about Speed Grapher in Anime Insider #21 (p. 26), and it sounds like a very intreging series. There aren't that many anime in the mystery genre that I'm aware of - the only ones that I've seen were the underated Spiral and the overated Dectective Conan - so another mystery series is perfect. Speed Grapher is one of the three new Studio Gonzo titles that was featured in the AI article (the others are Trinity Blood and Basilisk).


In relation to what I posted yesterday, I discovered something on AnimeonDVD's websiteabout these three Gonzo titles that might be interesting:

AnimeonDVD.com wrote:
Fully within the pure speculation category as we've mentioned in the past, FUNimation has picked up a few new domain names for some recent series airing in Japan. This does not mean they have the series as some that have been picked up in the past have gone elsewhere (but several have panned out as well). Placing these firmly in the rumor category, it's been discovered that they've registered domains for Speedgrapher.com, Trinityblood.tv, and Basilisk.tv.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haiseikoh 1973



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 1590
Location: Waiting for the Japanese 1000 Gunieas.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
chono wrote:
biliano wrote:
I read about Speed Grapher in Anime Insider #21 (p. 26), and it sounds like a very intreging series. There aren't that many anime in the mystery genre that I'm aware of - the only ones that I've seen were the underated Spiral and the overated Dectective Conan - so another mystery series is perfect. Speed Grapher is one of the three new Studio Gonzo titles that was featured in the AI article (the others are Trinity Blood and Basilisk).

Bamboo, you're not the only one who's looking forward to uncut One Piece - I am too (although I don't bash 4Kids as much as most of the forum users here Wink ).


just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And you'll be the first in line! Rolling Eyes some one need to grow up!


Unfortunately, people will consider such tactics to be "moral and ethical" because they see some sort of justifiable action in screwing 4Kids because they feel that 4Kids is not catering to them. I would be bold in saying that the seriously P.O.ed Otaku might akin this to being called racist remarks, and this is how they react. (Thought this arguement may also apply to Tenjo Tenge manga, as i've seen posts where people advocate getting the scanlations than buying from CMX, due to their edits.)

It's kinda like the Enviromentalists and the Anti-Globalization folks; they advocate the Enviroment and protest when big-shot business leaders meet in some convention to discuss how to better trade with each other, yet they foolishly sign petitions to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide and use the Internet and Cell Phones to spread their anti-globalization messages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 10012
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And I've lost respect in you for not being able to write proper English.

ANN isn't going to limit ourselves to interviewing people our readers like (for that matter, many of our readers like 4Kids), we're going to interview anyone who is interesting. The more polarized opinions are on a particular individual, the more interesting an interview is.

Grow up.

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble


It's amazing that there are still forum users that are trying to convince me to resort to downloads and only downloads to watch anime. For the last time, I will not download fansubs. That's not how I watch and collect anime; I do it legitimately.

chono wrote:
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And you lost the respect from most of the ANN forum users (myself included) for your butchering of the English language. BTW, exactly what did 4Kids do to One Piece that you thought was "unforgivable" - broadcasting it on American TV so that American fans can finally see this series? OK, that's really unforgivable! Rolling Eyes

Since this column started three weeks ago, all of the interviews that ANN has performed were excellent and enjoyable to read. I learned so much about some of the most recognizable people in the anime universe. (Bamboo's interview with Ask John on April 17 is my personal favorite so far.) Take advantage of this new column, learn something new, and grow up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1139
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
This may surprise you to hear, but the MAIN MARKET for the shows that 4Kids licenses and airs... is NOT a bunch of nerdy otaku. People keep assuming that anime fans buy tons of DVDs, and that several thousands of fans buy each uncut DVD, and companies like ADV and Bandai are on the same financial footing as 4Kids. You're all wrong. You people argue and argue like you know the market better than the CEO of a 2 billion dollar company, and it's ridiculous. You assume that the North American anime market is huge and wildly successful and each DVDs sells tens of thousands of copies, when you could'nt be further from the truth. He has sales figures, you don't. The end.


This would be a very persuasive argument if it had anything at all to do with what I said. I never said Kahn was wrong. I said he was stuck-up. NOT the same thing. He can have all the sales figures in creation, he can be the CEO of the planet Earth for all I care (oh, and SHOCKING FACT:being in a position of authority doesn't make you infallible.) but if he's going to present them to the public in a smarmy elietist manner, then he's still stuck-up, no matter how right he is. There's no external force preventing him from saying these things more respectfully, especially when he's speaking to potential customers.

So then you went on to tell me how "you people" (last time I checked, I wasn't "people." But on behalf of whatever group you're referring to, thanks for lumping us all together like that, it's not like we're individuals or anything) think that ADV and Bandai are just as big and profitable as 4Kids (I never said that, and I know they aren't) or that every DVD sells huge (I never said THAT, either, because it's not true) or that every anime fan buys tons of DVDs (hey, you know who never said that? Three guesses.)

To repeat: I did not say Al was wrong about anything. All I said was that he was stuck up and that he uses stupid circular logic. You can be stuck up and use stupid circular logic and still be right-just because you suck at presenting an argument doesen't invalidate the argument.

For the record, my only real beef with 4Kids wasen't that they edited their shows, but that they edited them AND refused to release uncut versions. Now that this is no longer an issue, I have no problem with them, so long as they keep their promise about the DVD's. Heck, I still watch Pokemon occasionally and I maintain that despite the cuts it's one of the best-acted dubs of all time. But Al Kahn's attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way, and this interview did nothing to change my mind. But so what? There's nothing that says disliking him means I dislike 4Kids. He's the CEO, NOT the entire company.

I don't know if you thought you were going to hit me with some cute strawman argument or if you just weren't paying attention, but I'm not the universal representative for "nerdy Otaku," and I don't hold hardly any of the opnions you were complaining about up there. If you disagree with the people who hold those opinons, tell it to THEM.

Wyvern wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
At least it's good to know we'll all be getting uncut DVD's of The Cramp Twins sometime soon. That's the one everyone's been waiting for, right?


Who?

No seriously, what the hell are you talking about?


The Cramp Twins is a cartoon produced by 4Kids about two twin brothers who don't get along. One's a troublemaker and one's a nerd. It's pretty terrible and not even anime, and thus would be the last thing anyone here would be waiting for. Hence the joke. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel Lily



Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 222
Location: San Francisco CA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
I's love to see Tokyo Mew Mew and Pokemon uncut and I know alot of people would too. I doubt tehy would ever listen though unless you have petion, have every single person who hates them call them "The Evil Oragnzation" or write servel cyprtic notes to them in your own blood. I'd do it but I'm pretty much a loner who has very little firends so I can't get organzied and I can't stand pain so the whole note thing is out the window. But you can still hope that one day it might happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haiseikoh 1973



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 1590
Location: Waiting for the Japanese 1000 Gunieas.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And I've lost respect in you for not being able to write proper English.

ANN isn't going to limit ourselves to interviewing people our readers like (for that matter, many of our readers like 4Kids), we're going to interview anyone who is interesting. The more polarized opinions are on a particular individual, the more interesting an interview is.

Grow up.

-t


So when are you guys gonna interview Man-Faye or Sailor Bubba?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

So when are you guys gonna interview Man-Faye or Sailor Bubba?


Wink When I stop forgetting about it. *jots it down*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Advent_Nebula



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 932
Location: Colorado
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouls also like to se an interview with David and Janice Willams of ADV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
xanbcoo



Joined: 19 Dec 2003
Posts: 245
Location: Houston/Austin Tx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
On the whole editing because of voilence thing. Thought it'd be funny to point out that my sister watched both Rurouni Kenshin OVAs w/me without batting an eyelid. And she's 5!!! Even I cringed when I saw some of the fight scenes in that for the first time. Today's kids...I tell ya...

Ok, carry on with your nice little discussion.
--Xan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
chono



Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
chono wrote:
just dowload the the real one piece don't give 4Kids money. what they did too one piece is unforgivble
i lost a lot of respect for ANN for interviewing this evil bastard al khan. al khan should go to hell


And I've lost respect in you for not being able to write proper English.

ANN isn't going to limit ourselves to interviewing people our readers like (for that matter, many of our readers like 4Kids), we're going to interview anyone who is interesting. The more polarized opinions are on a particular individual, the more interesting an interview is.

Grow up.

-t


i think none of your readers like 4Kids
i mean they have done nothing good all they do is kill good anime
if 4Kids died no one and i mean no one would be sad
and for good reason. because they suck
i was not dissin ANN i was just saying if that i interviwed al khan i would have been more direct and say things like "why do you kill shows and why are you racist"but i know if ANN did that they would lose there respect in the anime communtity
and also i would beat the living daylights out off al khan anyway Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group