• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA Adds Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Deltora Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
As I posted in the Manga subforum, I am bummed about Moyashimon not being mentioned (and Ghost Hunt; I'd like to see how the manga finished as opposed to the anime). Granted, these are not officially "canceled" but still, no news leaves me leery.

I am glad Arisa is being continued though. Just got that one from TRSI last week.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Nothing about Suzkua? I they release it eventually. I want to finish the series off and not just have all but the last three volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
...what about School Rumble??

Just thought I'd join in there. Excited for new Phoenix Wright manga, though! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:
I am raging like a madman.

One more volume... JUST ONE MORE VOLUME OF GHOST HUNT! How hard is it to publish one last freaking volume. Go to hell Kodansha. Please, somebody tell me they will release that volume eventually.

At least they are continuing SZS.

FYI- Before people jump onto hate tirades about one title out of dozens not being announced as continuing, AnimeAlmanac posted this as part of the coverage on twitter-
http://twitter.com/animealmanac/status/14041659985633280
"Any titles from Del Rey not announced today are not necessarily canceled, but they haven't been scheduled yet for release this summer."

I'm assuming that means there's a lump of titles they plan to continue that they couldn't fit into the summer schedule, and will pop up in the fall/winter of 2011.

Given things might be affected by contract specifics [Kodansha Comics is a seperate firm from Del Rey, even if it has many of the same people involved] or creator decisions, it's understandable that some titles might take a little while to sort out.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
I have to wait till JUNE for more Air Gear? Seriously? How the hell long does it take to translate a single manga volume?

Keep in mind that it probably took them a little while to sort out new contracts for licenses, sort out the swicth from Del Rey to Kodansha Comics, have Kodansha Comics submit their plans to bookstores, before they had a chance to solicit the books- you usually have to solicit to bookstores 6 months in advance [compared to 2 for comic shops], so there's a lot of work involved. That's why we're not seeing these titles until the summer- that is 6 months from now, so they probably just sent out their solicitations to bookstores recently.

Another thing- The translations might of already been finished for Del Rey- comic pubs work in advance on most titles, so it seems it was moreso stuff fans don't think about [legal work, contracts, solicitations, book sellers] that takes a good while to sort out that made them take awhile to announce their plans.

Anyhoo, 6 months isn't that long, and it looks like it'll be bimonthly after that, and Del Rey experimenting a little with release schedules . Seriously, it's not that hard to wait- what would manga fans do if they had to wait for the latest issue of Danger Girl, All Star Batman, Ultimate X or Battle Chasers?

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Jure wrote:

One more volume... JUST ONE MORE VOLUME OF GHOST HUNT! How hard is it to publish one last freaking volume. Go to hell Kodansha. Please, somebody tell me they will release that volume eventually.

FYI- Before people jump onto hate tirades about one title out of dozens not being announced as continuing, AnimeAlmanac posted this as part of the coverage on twitter-
"Any titles from Del Rey not announced today are not necessarily canceled, but they haven't been scheduled yet for release this summer."

I'm assuming that means there's a lump of titles they plan to continue that they couldn't fit into the summer schedule, and will pop up in the fall/winter of 2011.

Given things might be affected by contract specifics [Kodansha Comics is a seperate firm from Del Rey, even if it has many of the same people involved] or creator decisions, it's understandable that some titles might take a little while to sort out.

Ghost Hunt has come out very slowly in the last 2-3 years, so I'm not surprised the next volume isn't listed here. Hopefully it is just unscheduled rather than cancelled for good.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'll have to look into the Deltora Quest manga, but the cover shown doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in it being faithful, since, like the anime, Lief has the wrong color hair (yes, it actually is a plot point). I'll probably get it from the library and check it out before buying it.

I'm happy for the final 3 volumes of RAVE, though. Been waiting a while for those, even if it is an omnibus.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:

I'm not going to rage about Ghost Hunt just yet. This list is for their summer releases. Even under the best of circumstances, I don't expect GH 12 until the fall of 2011. If Kodansha releases its fall schedule and GH 12 is not on it, THEN I'll rage.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the absense of Code: Breaker on the list.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for Bloody Monday! It's an awesome series and I can't wait to pick it up.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Kondansha won't be releasing Alive: The Final Evolution?!! OH. COME. ON!! Evil or Very Mad

I am willing to forgo buying any other manga for the entire f***ing YEAR if they will release the whole of this series. F***, I'd even be okay with omnibus vers.

DO YOU HEAR ME, KODANSHA? I. Will. Buy. Them.

Paploo wrote:

*calming down* *deep breaths* Okay. I'll be the first to admit I jumped on the panic wagon, which careened into the rage-mobile.

Thanks for giving me hope, Paploo.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is impressive news. Also glad that they're taking Arisa, that does encourage me to start my collection of it at this point.

And I can also get Gon volume 7 now, woot! And I haven't been collecting Rave Master, but this is goods news for Rave Master fans and it does endear me to Kodansha USA. Perhaps they'll rescue some other titles while they're at it.

And Bloody Monday, interesting launch title, I remember reading some of it until I got annoyed with the main character. Isn't Historie Kodansha too? Here's hoping!
Jure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Jure wrote:

Yeah, I managed to figure that out 5 minutes after my first post, but I was too lazy to edit. Took me some time to start thinking rationally and remember that Ghost Hunt did have loong breaks between volumes. Thanks anyway.

From new titles, I am interested in Mardock Scramble. I guess wether or not I buy it depends on how much I like the movie.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
So is School Rumble being finished by Del Ray, or do we not know yet?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Bloody Monday! WOO!

And I thought Shugo Chara! was ending with Vol. 10. Is Amu going to start counting volume titles on the cover with her toes?

12 total volumes + encore.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GON
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5