• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shojo Beat Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Ouch! It didn't censor that. I'm sorry... lol.

Umm.. I never heard anything about a compensation. I could check the site on it. Or make some calls... or break some thumbs.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
"When the subscriptions are ended you will have a choice of continuing with a subscription of Shojo Beat or receiving a refund of the remainder of your subscription cost."

According to a message on the forums. Hmmm...
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen the preview issue at a Borders or Walden Books? My local Suncoast is so crappy that I seriously doubt that they would stock it.

Also, has anyone gotten any official notice on compensations for Animerica subscriptions? One lousy message on a forum is not that reassuring. Rolling Eyes
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I know. I'm not fully consoled by that. I'm making a phone call tomorrow.
Kitsune05

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys know if you can only get the preview issue by going to the store or does Viz send it to subscribers as well?
Nikku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Most of these shojo beat title have female as the central character.

Actually, that's a bit incorrect. Two of the titles, Baby and Me and Godchild, feature male protagonists. Also, to the person who started this topic, it really all depends on what your tastes are. If you're really into the action and adventure mangas, stick with Shonen Jump. Or if you like realistic human relationships then Shojo Beat could be for you. As for me, I'm a 13-year old boy, and I'm really into shojo, so I don't think just because you're one gender you're automatically not going to like something (sexist pigs - boys' and girls' worst enemies Confused )

Also, just to get the record straight, Oh, My Goddess! isn't real shojo. For a TRUE shojo experience, those of you who're interested should check out Wild Act or Gravitation (two of my personal shojo favorites. Anime smile)

Also, I have the same question as Kitsune. As subscribers, will Viz mail Issue 0 directly to us? If not, can someone tell me some retailers like Barnes and Noble or Borders that might have it? (I've never heard of the ones they listed...)

Last edited by Nikku on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Train

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
So we have Godchild but no Count Cain (the prequel to Godchild)?

Actually, all of the Count Cain manga was licensed (iirc) and are to be released in graphic novel form. It's only God Child that's going to be serialized in Shoujo Beat.

However, their slogan, "manga from the heart"......I never found that very apt to describe God Child at all. XP
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
I just called them, and those that had subscribed will be getting this Shojo beat automatically. That's good news, I guess... girly manga isnt my thing, but at least I'm not just out the 30 bucks.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
Where exactly are the magazines in the comic book shops? You see I just went to one and they said they did not have any. But, I did not check the whole store. I dislike that comic book shop. The first time I had gone there they were rude. It's a Diamond Distributor so they should have had it right? Unless they ran out. So I want to go to another one, but where should I look for the preview when I get there?
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Not all traditonal comic book shops are friendly towards manga, or any independent material for that matter, even when it's free (or maybe it's not free for retailers, who might have to pay for shipping.) Consider trying an anime-oriented specialty store.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nikku wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Most of these shojo beat title have female as the central character.

Actually, that's a bit incorrect. Two of the titles, Baby and Me and Godchild, feature male protagonists. Also, to the person who started this topic, it really all depends on what your tastes are.

How is this incorrect? When I say "most" I mean most as in majority. 4 of the 6 story has female lead character. I never said all.
Nikku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Um...it's nothing to get mad over. I wasn't trying to offend you or anything... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2