• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The purchase price for this release is waaaay less expensive than "stuff" I used to afford and enjoy as a hobby: brass operating HO-gauge model US or Canadian railroad prototype specific steam and diesel locomotives, usually imported from Japan or So. Korea at the time.

I recall cringing at the MSRP for a Milwaukee Rd. Class N-2 2-6-6-2 mallet: $2695.00 USD several years ago. It had been on everyone's wishlist for over a decade and finally, PFM, a well-known Japan importer, committed itself to the project. Now many of us would have loved 1 of the So. Korean importers to produce this engine as it would have retailed for about $1000.00 USD less upon release at the time. But affordable this "gem" was not to be. Such was my mania after several frantic phone calls I did manage to locate 1 still available and not pre-sold from a Minnesota hobbystore for $1995.00 plus shipping that was also willing to allow 90-day L-A-W.

That was about 1 decade ago. The US collector mania for these phenomenal engines is still alive and well though there a fewer collectors now with deep pockets. The average price for a specific release HO-gauge "brass" steam locomotive custom-painted replete with sound and DCC now runs $1700.00-$2700.00 USD while diesel types average $950.00-$1200.00 USD. One hobbystore imported 13 Northerns (4-8-4 class using the Whyte wheel classification system for steam engines as a descriptor) specific for the Chinese railway system retailing for about $3400.00 USD each. Would've loved to have bought 1 as they are exquisite but I'm married now with obligations. Oh, well.

I get as much enjoyment from anime now as I did from past model locomotive collecting then. Only this hobby isn't that expensive. Thank you Rightstuf for offering this set. You have my pre-order.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Yes, I recognize that.
ikillchicken as he recognized the price point wrote:
Oh well $400...that's perfectly reasonable Aniplex! Would you like some of my blood as well? Perhaps a Kidney? Or maybe you'd prefer to just send someone right to my house to piss on me in person.
No, ikillchicken, you most certainly don't recognize this.

I'm afraid that if you see this as a contradiction you've clearly not understood the point I'm trying to make. Yes, this is a collectors item. I recognize that it isn't targeting the $40-$50 SAVE crowd and don't expect it to be priced as such. However, I also feel that, at a price of $400, even for a collector's item this is still a massive ripoff.

Don't try to paint this as a black and white issue where I have to either accept a price of $400 or demand a price of $50. There is a middle ground. This being a collector's item justifies a significant price increase over the low price but hardly justifies the high end price. That's the point I'm making here.

Quote:
I'm also confident you don't recognize you're insulting many collectors with every post you submit.

How so? Paying that much is a ripoff. If collectors are willing to pay that much anyway, they can go right ahead. Lord knows there are some overpriced imports I'm tempted to buy and probably would if I had the cash. If people are going to do that though then it's absurd to get 'insulted' when someone points out that they're being gouged.

Quote:
Do you really think we collectors don't realize the increase markup on such items? Do you really think we don't know this entire collection probably cost a staggering $25 (USD) to put together?

I understand you don't like the price point set by Aniplex for this collection, but for someone who is paying for box sets costing less than $10 to produce, your argument of "fair" is the one now moot.

I don't know about that. For starters, the added costs of producing a collector's edition don't lie in manufacturing alone. There's also a fair bit of design work involved in putting it together initially. Even in terms of manufacturing though, there's definitely some added costs there. I mean come on. You're telling me it doesn't cost significantly more to produce a hard artbox or one of those fancy steel cases or a nice hardcover artbook than to simply press the DVDs, print out a paper label, and stick it all in a mass produced stack-pack case? No, I definitely think there's enough added cost there to justify the added prices you see on these items normally.

So no, I don't think all 'collector's editions' are inherently overpriced. This one is but many of them aren't. Hence my complaint.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
So sub fans are going to shell out hundreds for a set of movies while for the same amount I can buy like 8 whole series with English dubs? Shocked

Quantity over quality! Love the good ol American Wal-Mart mentality.
Better late than never to reply right? Yahoo, no more finals!

Wal-Mart mentality huh? Yeah, who'd want to think remotely like one of the largest and most successful corporations on the planet. They can't possibly have any idea what works and what doesn't can they? I mean, really. Rolling Eyes

luffypirate85 wrote:
Remember buying Geneon DVD's at $30 a pop? Nahh...nevermind, just stick to your FUNi S.A.V.E editions. Leave gorgeous sets like this to the collectors.
In point of fact, I bought quite a few Geneon singles and have LE art boxes from those releases. I also own very few of Funimation's S.A.V.E. editions since I usually buy the first release of series I want. I've gone out of my way to buy out of print releases and at times paid more than I'd like to. The most I think I've paid for a set was $200+ for Chobits singles + art box + stationary set + some gashpons. (I bought it used on eBay. Couldn't find the art box and stationary set anywhere else at the time.)

So swing and a miss. I prefer to save my money as any wise man would but I'm also willing to pay more for what I want. As I've never heard of these movies before, I find the price rather high and frankly it doesn't seem like a decent deal from my perspective as a disinterested in the title anime fan.

luffypirate85 wrote:
And to all you complainers: don't like it don't buy it. Whining and boycotting isn't going to get Aniplex USA to drop the price (and odds are if they did you still wouldn't buy) Didn't BVUSA teach you anything?? If you want NEARLY SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE quality like this you gotta pay the price!
Since you included this in your response to me, I'm going to take it that it was at least partially aimed at me.

First, all I did was state an opinion. Re-read what I wrote. If you consider that "whining" then I suggest you check the dictionary or do a research project on the topic because personally I'd barely even call that a bare complaint.

Second, I didn't make any suggestion on my part that anyone boycott Aniplex USA. Again, I merely posted my opinion that it wasn't a good deal. Agree or disagree but please try not to allow your own opinions to render you incapable of rational thought. There's enough of that lunacy in politics, we don't need it in anime fandom.

And third, I don't give a damn about simultaneous releases. I honestly don't care if I have to wait months, years or even DECADES to get what I want. If I can get what I want then I'm satisfied. Is it better to get it sooner? Sure but as I posted before, this isn't what I'd want anyway so I don't care when it came out.

My post had two major points: 1) To make moderate fun of sub fans who thought going this route would mean cheaper releases and 2) to express my opinion that this isn't a good deal.

Agree with me or disagree with me but please try to do so in a way that actually shows you read my post and comprehended it. I know it's much easier to debate what you wish someone had posted rather than what they actually posted but it's really not appropriate. Wink

And if you didn't intend for that last part to be aimed at me, disregard the above comments.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1) To make moderate fun of sub fans who thought going this route would mean cheaper releases

1) This is still technically an import and precisely what sub fans that import have been dealing with for years; I have no idea what crowd of people were expecting cheaper imports. KnK is just not a cheaply priced series as a whole to begin with.

Quote:

2) to express my opinion that this isn't a good deal.

Good is relative.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I recognize that it isn't targeting the $40-$50 SAVE crowd and don't expect it to be priced as such.
Don't mind me, but I just thought it was funny that you said that when, in actuality, all S.A.V.E. releases are $30 or less. Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
1) To make moderate fun of sub fans who thought going this route would mean cheaper releases and 2) to express my opinion that this isn't a good deal.

Nah. We're aware that this is just masked import. It's a good deal for those with the money.
As for me, these movies lie on my top 10, and I have the money. So it's a good deal from my perspective, as I get to own one of my favorite anime with the best packaging I've seen over here to date.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see anime released like this. It's the release format I think makes most sense. Unfortunately it's not a franchise I care that much about, but I look forward to seeing more "official imports" like this with English translation.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I don't give a damn about simultaneous releases. I honestly don't care if I have to wait months, years or even DECADES to get what I want. If I can get what I want then I'm satisfied. Is it better to get it sooner? Sure but as I posted before, this isn't what I'd want anyway so I don't care when it came out.

They why are posting in a thread for a simultaneous release? Shoo. Go buy those eight dubbed FUNi shows you were talking about. This version of KnK has nothing for you. Hope you aren't waiting too long Laughing

I know we've had finals and all, but I've lost interest in debating this topic. I placed my pre-order, what...like three days ago? Over it. Sorry.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I recognize that it isn't targeting the $40-$50 SAVE crowd and don't expect it to be priced as such.
Don't mind me, but I just thought it was funny that you said that when, in actuality, all S.A.V.E. releases are $30 or less. Laughing

No, that a fair point. I probably shouldn't say SAVE specifically. I just picked $30-$40 because it seemed like a rough average of what you pay for a series these days.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I know we've had finals and all, but I've lost interest in debating this topic. I placed my pre-order, what...like three days ago? Over it. Sorry.

Yeah, you keep saying that but then you keep coming back to debate the topic further. Do us all a favour and either go away for real or at least be honest like the rest of us.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Yeah, you keep saying that but then you keep coming back to debate the topic further. Do us all a favour and either go away for real or at least be honest like the rest of us.

I was responding to the original poster that I quoted in the first place. Trust me, I'm over it. Looks like you are left to debate with yourself. Have fun.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Have you considered for a moment that this release, while you might be interested in it, isn't for you? That you aren't the consumer they're targeting?

The price is stupid to a whole lot of people - most people. But this is aimed squarely at the very tiny "super hardcore fan with a considerable amount of disposable income" niche that does still exist but in very very small quantities. This is a premium, hardcore-collectors-only thing.

Here's a little analogy for you: I like science fiction a lot but I'm not going to shell out $8500 for a replica of Kirk's captain's chair. There are a scant few who will, but they do exist, and they're probably going to buy it. If the print run on this $400 box set is more than a few hundred copies I'd be shocked. Hell, if it's more than 200 I'd be kinda surprised.

There's a difference between overpriced ultra-niche merchandise, which is the side dish of the media, and overpriced media, which is the main meal. Overprice staple food and you price yourself right out of the marketplace.
Zac wrote:
This release is not for the sort of person who says "But I can get [whatever] for that kind of money!!!", it's for the person who was already thinking of importing the super-expensive box set in the first place. Hardcore collectors with disposable income.

I remember a company that tried this approach just a couple of years ago. They were called Bandai Visual. What ever happened to them?

If Aniplex USA will not adapt, Aniplex USA will die. And few of us will be crying.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
They were called Bandai Visual. What ever happened to them?

They opened a branch in Europe called Beez Entertainment and are doing quite well with their overpriced first time releases followed by a probable Legends afterwards.

Whatever can Aniplex lose by doing this? Consumers? Don't worry, they'll run back like dog to bone as soon as they release something cheap; supposing they ever will target said consumers.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
They were called Bandai Visual. What ever happened to them?

They opened a branch in Europe called Beez Entertainment and are doing quite well with their overpriced first time releases followed by a probable Legends afterwards.

Includes Bandai Entertainment titles. Also, those Legends collections? That's an adaptation measure.
egoist wrote:
Whatever can Aniplex lose by doing this? Consumers? Don't worry, they'll run back like dog to bone as soon as they release something cheap; supposing they ever will target said consumers.

In other words...once they finally adapt to our market.

Thank you for the agreement with my post.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In other words...once they finally adapt to our market.

Thank you for the agreement with my post.

It is not a question of once AA adapts to the R1 markets, they have done so and still put out plenty of R1 releases fitting the general R1 price range.

This bluray set however is not a R1 release.

You don't want to buy import anime at import prices, fine. Wait until there is a release for YOUR market and stop pretending AA has somehow turned their back on R1 because of this attempt to make importing KnK easier for some that don't include you.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You don't want to buy import anime at import prices, fine. Wait.
In a nutshell.

Every argument that "this is too expensive for the main US market" translates into, "50 sales in the main US market do not compensate for one lost sale in Japan from back importation". And with Blu-Ray, its not even necessary to have a multi-region player to watch a US release in Japan, we're in the same region.

This is just a mild discount on the Japanese domestic price for the Japanese domestic disc, about $50 cheaper than Amazon JP before international shipping, protected by international shipping charges and the difficulty of crossing the language barrier. It is clearly labeled "(Import)" at the RightStuf site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 20