• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I may be in the majority here but I found 2012 to be a pretty lackluster year for anime. I watched a ton of shows in 2012 and none of them really grabbed me some were decent others were terribly mundane but none of them were remarkable or truly noteworthy.

Now for English dubs in 2012 that's a completely different story there were so many excellent dubs that came out last year its mind blogging. Monica Rial was brilliant as the Princess of the Crystal from Penguindrum and Michael Tatum was fantastic as Soichiro Mikuni from Control and practically carried the english dub as Rintaro Okabe from Steins;gate.

John Swasey was quite excellent as Governor of Paradise from the book of bantorra and Hilary Haag gave a strong performance as Alice from Heaven's Memo Pad.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
2012 was a very thrifty year for me as an anime fan. K-On!! was the only 2012 release I bought that wasn't a re-release. I think it was the second year in a row that I spent more on Hot Wheels than I did anime. I'll probably buy more anime in 2013 than I did in 2012, depending on how quickly shows like Mysterious Girlfriend X, Nichijou, and Chuunibyou get released on disk over here. Plus, I'm still waiting for the K-On! movie, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Eh, maybe I'd agree with Mami's death being death of the year if it was better executed. In exchange for the shock value it makes Mami look like a total idiot when she's supposed to be the experienced veteran. I know some one is going to come in and say "That scene was in slow motion! She didn't have time to react!" but it really wasn't. Otherwise her gasp would have also been in slow motion too. Either way she did react but still stood there like a moron rather than dodging or something.

Yuuko's is definitely far more deserving.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Not even a mention of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? For shame.

Unless someone wanted to nominate it for Unlicensed Gems, it wouldn't get any mention, as it was never licensed or released in the NA market.
prabb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if Theron's terrible taste is a joke or not.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Now for English dubs in 2012 that's a completely different story there were so many excellent dubs that came out last year its mind blogging. Monica Rial was brilliant as the Princess of the Crystal from Penguindrum. . .

With an official due-out date of 12/31, this one didn't come out in time to be considered for this piece (which has been in the works for most of two weeks).

prabb wrote:

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate? Otherwise I'll have to consider you to just be trolling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
prabb wrote:

What exactly do you mean by his "terrible taste"? If you're talking about the part in the beginning about Sword Art Online, yah, of course that was a joke. (Though Theron still likes the show, he doesn't feel it's a masterpiece or even close to it)

If you're talking about something else, please elaborate. I'm curious as to what else he said was so "terrible."
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
My tastes seem to align perfectly with Carl's. Anohana was definitely my favorite of the year. And I was also a big fan of Say "I Love You" and Kids on the Slope. I even liked PMMM, but still thought it was vastly overrated. I think Jormugand was the only series he liked I didn't watch so I'm definitely going to check that out at some point.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:
Not even a mention of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? For shame.

Unless someone wanted to nominate it for Unlicensed Gems, it wouldn't get any mention, as it was never licensed or released in the NA market.

Yeah, I know (and it likely won't be licensed either). Would've been a perfect pick for Unlicensed Gems though.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Eh, maybe I'd agree with Mami's death being death of the year if it was better executed. In exchange for the shock value it makes Mami look like a total idiot when she's supposed to be the experienced veteran. I know some one is going to come in and say "That scene was in slow motion! She didn't have time to react!" but it really wasn't. Otherwise her gasp would have also been in slow motion too. Either way she did react but still stood there like a moron rather than dodging or something.

Yuuko's is definitely far more deserving.

Supposedly, Mami's happiness at Madoka joining her as a friend, threw Mami off her game. She was so busy being happy, she forget for a moment that battles with witches were life and death things. Or she was too busy showing off to her new friend she forgot the stakes involved to a degree.
Black_Knight_456

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Sword Art Online is very overrated. I really liked the action scenes in the first half, Kirito vs. The Gleam Eyes and Kirito vs. Heathcliffe for the first time. Possibly some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen. Everything beyond that, especially the second half, was seriously lacking.

Good to see Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions at least get recognized as a runner up. That was easily my favorite new show from this year. Dusk Maiden and My Little Monster were also very good. I had a lot of hope for Kokoro Connect, but as I reached the finish I also found it was lacking that special something.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(it's been prominent in ero games and hentai doujinshi for years and has appeared in anime at least as far back as Revolutionary Girl Utena's Nanami)

Yeah, someone was [expletive] their brother in Utena, but it wasn't Nanami.

Edit: Also I really find the inclusion of shows based on their US release date to be incredibly bizarre and disorienting.

Some of this stuff is seriously old news.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Supposedly, Mami's happiness at Madoka joining her as a friend, threw Mami off her game. She was so busy being happy, she forget for a moment that battles with witches were life and death things. Or she was too busy showing off to her new friend she forgot the stakes involved to a degree.

I understand that's a part of it, but it doesn't excuse Mami looking right at the witch while it transformed and went at her, then kinda hovered in front of her face for a few seconds before CHOMPing.

Now if Mami had thought the fight was over, turned her back on it, and then it got her from behind because she let her guard down, that would have worked much better.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing And Yet the Town Moves get some recognition. It's easily in my top 10 for 2012 releases.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:

I, like Carl, do not understand why Madoka is such a huge thing. It does some interesting visual things and it isn't terrible, but I really don't see what the big deal is. It isn't as deep as people make it out to be and I just couldnt relate to the characters, but that's probably because Im not a junior high school aged girl I suppose.

Although I do think Madoka was the best series of the year, I agree with you that it is not NEARLY as deep as a lot of people make it out to be. I still think it is amazing how much people over analyze the show and come up with these epic, almost religious explanations of it where they are basically saying that their life didn't truly begin until they were enlightened by PMMM. To me, it seems more like an excellently written show that turns a lot of magical girl show tropes on their heads. In that context alone, it was exceptional (although the ending annoyed me). It also very smartly used the spoiler["good guys who turn into the evil they are fighting" concept], though I think the writer was heavily influenced/borrowed a bit from Claymore regarding that. If I get a chance to purchase Madoka for a non-outrageous price I might do it. However, I don't see myself going out of my way to get my hands on it.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15