• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
My top 5 anime of the year would be...

1. Fate/Zero
2. Dog Days'
3. Little Busters
4. Girls und Panzer
5. Sword Art Online

Overall, it was a pretty weak year compared to the last 2. Only show that woulda been in my top 5 last year was Fate/Zero.

Well for me. number 1 is Deadman Wonderland and number 2 is Madoka Magica.

Fate/Zero would have been number 1 on my list , if I am able to watch it but unable to since it doesn't have an english dub and as everyone knows, i am mainly an english dub prusit only otuaku.

Also I was 50/50 surprised Kyuubey unanimously got the Bastard award cause positive that Ohisawa (I think that is name ) from Durarara would have gotten that award cause he was a character people loathe with a passion.

I believe the 2011 award had a massively split cause of whether to give that award to either Lelouch or Light cause both were the king of bastards to a lot of people.Myself included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well for me. number 1 is Deadman Wonderland and number 2 is Madoka Magica.

Deadman Wonderland isn't a 2012 title. Though it first became available in dubbed form in 2012, it legally streamed in 2011.

Quote:
Also I was 50/50 surprised Kyuubey unanimously got the Bastard award cause positive that Ohisawa (I think that is name ) from Durarara would have gotten that award cause he was a character people loathe with a passion.

Er, Kyubey didn't unanimously get it and Durarara is not a 2012 title, either; it was available subbed in 2010 and dubbed in 2011.

Quote:
I believe the 2011 award had a massively split cause of whether to give that award to either Lelouch or Light cause both were the king of bastards to a lot of people.Myself included.

You must be thinking of a different year because both of their respective titles came out even in dubbed form well before that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I had a 'debate' with a few people on the other forum regarding the Lynn Lambretta and Jenny Doolittle pairing in Bodacious Space Pirates. Mainly because how I felt it was poorly written into the anime it came across as fan pandering, of course I was promptly branded a homophobe etc. by the usual crowd.
Of course each to their own I guess, but I felt it was a massive low point in the anime. Thankfully the series was strong enough in other areas to overcome it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
I had a 'debate' with a few people on the other forum regarding the Lynn Lambretta and Jenny Doolittle pairing in Bodacious Space Pirates. Mainly because how I felt it was poorly written into the anime it came across as fan pandering, of course I was promptly branded a homophobe etc. by the usual crowd.
Of course each to their own I guess, but I felt it was a massive low point in the anime. Thankfully the series was strong enough in other areas to overcome it.

Imagine Lynn was a boy.

Would that change your opinion?
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

Imagine Lynn was a boy.

It would have been just as poorly written/adapted.

I think you were one of the 'usual crowd' I was referring to. Correct? Why am I not surprised you'd be the first to respond?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

I think you were one of the 'usual crowd' I was referring to. Correct? Why am I not surprised you'd be the first to respond?

Because I happened to refresh the board right after you posted that? Its not like there is some grand conspiracy. You posted, I responded.

Also, I'd forgotten just how thoroughly we'd demolished you on this point.

Cute you'd try to bring it up again. Obnoxious, but cute.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You also explicitly said it would be less out of place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Thankfully the series was strong enough in other areas to overcome it.

Uh, the series was not strong in other areas. There were a large number of problems with it*. After the terrible episode seven I had to say sayonara, because I just wasn't going to put up with all that stupidity any more.

Outside of the skirt issue, which despite how it blew up in the Forums wasn't even that big compared to other flaws.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

Because I happened to refresh the board right after you posted that? Its not like there is some grand conspiracy. You posted, I responded.
Ok, point taken.

Quote:
Also, I'd forgotten just how thoroughly we'd demolished you on this point.
I don't remember being 'demolished' by you. All I remember (after my last post in that I've never re-entered that subthread, so anything you said further from that point has never tainted my eyes) is someone acting in a rather unnecessarily condescending manner while purporting to be in a debate.
I do however remember you questioning my intelligence because I was apparently missing the point you were trying to make, yet rather ironically you at the same time were completely ignorant of the point I was trying to make.
Quote:

Cute you'd try to bring it up again. Obnoxious, but cute.

What's cute is that you're actually calling someone else obnoxious.
Anyways it's nice to see you're still as much as a condescending asshat as ever. It reminds me of what I stopped bothering with you in that thread.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
All I remember (after my last post in that I've never re-entered that subthread, so anything you said further from that point has never tainted my eyes)

Then why the fudge should anyone bother to even respond to you? Holy shit.

Quote:
I do however remember you questioning my intelligence because I was apparently missing the point you were trying to make, yet rather ironically you at the same time were completely ignorant of the point I was trying to make.

Yes, I was questioning your intelligence because you were being deliberately obtuse, not to mention accusing me of being presonally insulting to you, when something was far more on-point about your blatant homophobia.

Quote:
Anyways it's nice to see you're still as much as a condescending asshat as ever. It reminds me of what I stopped bothering with you in that thread.

At least I'm not a [expletive] homophobe.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Get a room, you two.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You also explicitly said it would be less out of place.

I can't remember exactly what I said, because as I mentioned I haven't gone back to that thread. However as I stated in many occasions whatever issues I had with this scene/relationship, none of them were homophobic in nature.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Get a room, you two.

HAY ZAC

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ADDRESS THE [expletive] HOMOPHOBIA INSTEAD OF LETTING YOUR BIAS AGAINST ME BLIND YOU TO IT.

Just a thought.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I SAID GET A ROOM.

What that means is take your lovers' quarrel elsewhere or I'll put a stop to it myself.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Get a room, you two.

HAY ZAC

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ADDRESS THE [expletive] HOMOPHOBIA INSTEAD OF LETTING YOUR BIAS AGAINST ME BLIND YOU TO IT.

Just a thought.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, BUT I GUESS WE'RE TALKING IN ALL CAPS NOW

AM I SUPPOSED TO PUNISH HIM FOR SOMETHING HE DID ON MANIA BECAUSE I'M NOT REALLY SEEING EVIDENCE OF HOMOPHOBIA IN HIS POSTS HERE

~PLEASE ADVISE, NAMASTE~
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

At least I'm not a [expletive] homophobe.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Really? You still think that? Damn, yet you criticise me for missing the point? That's absolutely [expletive] hilarious, you've just made my day.

Anyway, since Zac has put his two cents in I'm assuming not much more of this will be tolerated so well, yeah. That's enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15