• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Cancels Future FMA: Brotherhood Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slykura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
FYI - The US version will be Region A only from volume 3. The AU Madman version will go region b only from Volume 3. So if you can get your hands on the AU one be our guest. It's region B so will be compatible in the UK.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I hope this doesn't affect their decisions to release High School of the Dead and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on BD since I plan on importing those (assuming they're A compatible) if they don't get one here.

I would be very surprised if Sentai doesn't release High School of The Dead on blu-ray. But after thinking about it, Sentai doesn't necessarily have the rights to High School of the Dead for DVD or anything, do they? I don't think they've released anything on DVD which they simulcasted. :/

750 copies only? Yikes. Does anyone know how much such it was expected to sell, or what qualifies as selling well in the UK? Heck, I don't even know those numbers for the US.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
luckily for our homies across the pond, they should be able to import ours just fine.

Though I gotta admit, I almost had a heart attack when skimming the title, for a second there I thought it applied to us...

Seriously...I'm loving Brotherhood on BD. I think I would have died inside.

Now I feel bad for those guys in UK buying the BDs who are reading this news that they'll have to go through hoops. Out of all the shows? It feels weird...

That's a good question, we certainly need HOTD on blu-ray!

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Odd. I would have thought the this show would be one that wouldn't have any trouble reaching the necessary sales numbers, but I can't blame them for stopping if they could only sell 750 copies.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
On-off releases like movies and one season titles aren't a problem, since they don't suffer the sales drop off that longer series like FMA:B do. However, they are likely to be Region B only.

Good news. As for that last part, I have no problem importing it and then downloading a BD rip if necessary.

LeanGreen wrote:
I would be very surprised if Sentai doesn't release High School of The Dead on blu-ray. But after thinking about it, Sentai doesn't necessarily have the rights to High School of the Dead for DVD or anything, do they? I don't think they've released anything on DVD which they simulcasted. :/

No, they announced that they're dubbing it and releasing it on DVD when they announced they were simulcasting it. Notice how it mentions nothing of BD rights? Manga UK did mention on twitter one time that they were going to work with Section 23 on their BD release, so I assume that means they're going to use S23's authoring/encoding. I hope we do get it on BD here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that's 750 copies for the first volume - the second would have been even less and so on.

@sly: ouch. I guess I'll be importing yours from vol. 3 onwards if I want to be able to play it on my PS3 (once I've got it fixed). I still haven't seen how the series ends since Manga's streams went pear shaped so I was looking forward to these later volumes in particular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Since it seems to be just FMA BD releases they are experiencing poor sales with, I'd say importation has a major role to play.
I myself have been importing the US BD's since I can get them quicker and cheaper than waiting for Manga's UK releases.
I'd like to support the UK anime industry and all, but at times like these where every penny counts, why pay more and wait longer for something?
Maybe in the future they can put out cheapish 26 ep sets on Blu-ray.
If not, they'll start everyone at the old importing game! lol
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But the UK isn't buying too many BD anyways, 1.5 BD movies/year/BD player owner.
Geh, those numbers aren't great are they? I've bought more Blu-Ray than that and I've only got 4 freaking things!

Even ignoring those general numbers, the sales were terrible for FMA: B over there. I hope it was due to imports from the US because that's just not right otherwise. The show started a bit weak due to re-telling the same material from the first series but DAMN. Once it got into the new manga-based material, I finally understood why some people were so angry with the first series. (It was great in my opinion but this version is great too!)

750 copies. . . . That's just plain awful.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I agree. UK BD buyers got to support the home distributor or they won't have UK BDs.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Jerome has said that the aggregate sales for FMA are fine, the problem is just the BD sales when you consider the higher cost involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But the UK isn't buying too many BD anyways, 1.5 BD movies/year/BD player owner.
Geh, those numbers aren't great are they? I've bought more Blu-Ray than that and I've only got 4 freaking things!

Even ignoring those general numbers, the sales were terrible for FMA: B over there. I hope it was due to imports from the US because that's just not right otherwise. The show started a bit weak due to re-telling the same material from the first series but DAMN. Once it got into the new manga-based material, I finally understood why some people were so angry with the first series. (It was great in my opinion but this version is great too!)

I loved the original but too am excited for more Brotherhood
Erunno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I hope it was due to imports from the US because that's just not right otherwise.

Brotherhood was overall weaker than the first series except in the animation department. I'm glad that my fellow Europeans show a little more taste when it comes to anime purchases.
Mattymattski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Obviously this wasn't going to do well. FUNimation is releasing their own Blu-Rays and people from the UK could just import them.

Even if they're region locked, there are ways to get around that.

I bought a blu ray drive for my pc from china ($100 inc. postage) downloaded Blu ray software ($100)
set region code to A (free)
Presto chango - import USA blu rays to australia (priceless)

its that easy
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Viz Media sure could learn a thing or two from Manga UK.

It does suck that they had to cancel it. I don't live in the UK, but since they're still going forward with DVD, I have to assume blu-ray isn't as popular there as it is here. I hope this doesn't affect their decisions to release High School of the Dead and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on BD since I plan on importing those (assuming they're A compatible) if they don't get one here.

Well the thing is that the other blu-rays sold well enough in the UK.

Manga UK confirmed this information on its Twitter account but noted that "everything else is solid," referring to a user's question about the company's other Blu-ray releases.

Brotherhood is a solid series, I guess people don't know about it or something over there.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, was Brotherhood even that popular over here? I know that the first sold like water, but I'm unsure about this one. They'd do better releasing the first one's DVD instead, since that one certainly reaches out for a wider audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3