• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Favorite Anime:

FLCL
The Cat Returns
Giant Robo

Almost threw Gintama in there.

This would have been easier if it had been anime that had had an significant impact on me. Some have not aged so well and some, while still very good, have had their hold on me fade somewhat. There even a few that just impressed me even if I never really was enthralled by them. However, I can still remember their strength while it existed. So this list is something of a concession towards stuff I would still watch without effort.

Movies that remove chrome from a bumper

Split Second
Dungeons and Dragons
Invaders from Mars(remake)

I was tempted to include Where the Wild Things Are, The Abyss and Juno

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:52 am; edited 3 times in total
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Oh, I almost forgot Rock and Roll High School 2 existed. Laughing And yet upon Justin's mention of it I can still easily start singing The Pursuit of Happiness's theme song ("Rock 'n' Roll High School/Forever and ever...") which sounds nothing like the Ramones' original. Probably because I had a TPoH album (on cassette!) as a teenager. Oh God.

Hmm, I actually liked Alien Resurrection. It's one of those movies that whenever I run across it on TV I will always stop and watch it. Other movies in that category include Event Horizon, Congo, and Tremors (though I actually think Tremors is "good"-good).

Also, I just grabbed a used copy of Millennium Actress off Amazon Marketplace for $5.07 after listening to this episode (along with a copy of Tremors and some other DVDs and therefore free S&H) so it can still be found relatively cheaply.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
As far as worst movies I've ever seen, I'd have to say Baby Geniuses (I'm not going anywhere near the sequel, which I haven't seen) and Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie. I swear that both of those films are the cinematic equivalents of Old Hag Syndrome.

My Top 3 Anime are:

1. Lupin III
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Patlabor (TV, OVA, and movies)
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Its really hard for me to pick a top 10 anything, hell i have a hard time picking my favorite movie, and that changes on an almost daily basis, but i think if i had to pick a favorites right now...

anime:
10: One Piece
9: Outlaw Star
8: Ghost in the Shell
7: Cowboy Bebop
6: Neon Genesis Evangelion
5: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
4: Gunbuster/Diebuster (sort of a tie really)
3: Berserk
2: One Piece Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (kinda cheating here but this movie deserves special consideration, possibly the best filler-shonen movie ever)
1: Summer Wars

and if i was gonna do a top 10 movies, well these ones sort of circle around each other for the top spot

10. the first Matrix
9. Original Star Wars Trilogy
8. Indiana Jones TRILOGY
7. Blade Runner
6. Alien
5. Ladyhawk (minus the very terrible music)
4. Terminator 2
3. M (yes, the film by Fritz Lang, watch it on Netflix, NOW!)
2. Moon
1. The Big Lebowski

i just noticed a very strange trend, that, most of those movies are science fiction >.<
unready

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Just a few points of trivia while I listened to the cast.

1. Double Indemnity was about Ashley Judd being imprisoned for killing her husband, not Tommy Lee Jones killing someone, except he wasn't dead. He wanted not to be married, but also wanted not to pay alimony. Apparently faking his murder and framing her (after hiding his assets) was easier than just divorcing her after hiding his assets.

2. The mannequin in Mannequin on the Move was played by Kristy Swanson, who is at least a little above the bar of "nobody TV actress," I think.

3. The no-name Sarah Jessica Parker movie with a Wilson brother was The Family Stone. I seem to recall Ebert and Roeper calling it a movie screenwritten by committee. (I still haven't seen it, even on cable.)

4. Lifeforce was a "so bad that it's great" movie, IMO. Vampires from outer space (Halley's comet, if I remember correctly) invade London and burn it down. Matilda May (and her breast implants) as the lead space vampire just walks around naked and kills people for like the first 30 minutes. Jean Luc Picard kisses a dude. And there's so much more.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:

1. Double Indemnity was about Ashley Judd being imprisoned for killing her husband, not Tommy Lee Jones killing someone, except he wasn't dead. He wanted not to be married, but also wanted not to pay alimony. Apparently faking his murder and framing her (after hiding his assets) was easier than just divorcing her after hiding his assets.

Dude... Double Jeopardy. Confusing that title with the beloved Billy Wilder classic Double Indemnity feels... I dunno, sacrilegious somehow.

Quote:

2. The mannequin in Mannequin on the Move was played by Kristy Swanson, who is at least a little above the bar of "nobody TV actress," I think.

And hey, that's Mannequin 2: On The Move!

And I'll give you early 90s pre-Buffy Kristy Swanson even though she was previously only really known for hearing from her best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

I guess it's pretty serious

Quote:

3. The no-name Sarah Jessica Parker movie with a Wilson brother was The Family Stone. I seem to recall Ebert and Roeper calling it a movie screenwritten by committee. (I still haven't seen it, even on cable.)

I did see this and it was forgettable and kinda dumb.

Quote:

4. Lifeforce was a "so bad that it's great" movie, IMO. Vampires from outer space (Halley's comet, if I remember correctly) invade London and burn it down. Matilda May (and her breast implants) as the lead space vampire just walks around naked and kills people for like the first 30 minutes. Jean Luc Picard kisses a dude. And there's so much more.

Added to Netflix queue.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
I'm curious Zac, what do you think of Star Driver thus far? Do you think it lives up to Utena?
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I've only listened to the Top 10 Animes, so i'm going to just make my critiques on Zac and Justin's top 10 list.

spoiler[
Justin:
10 - Kite (It's a good anime to say the least. Though IDK how you can say that Mezzo was bad when it's so badass!)

9 - Princess Mononoke (So this is the last Miyazaki films that made sense? -_- Spirited Away better have been before this then)

8 - Ghost In The Shell (Eh, I guess i'll check this out sooner or later)

7 - Please Save My Earth (O_O huh? Wow, I need to check out some old anime)

6 - Hikaru no go (Oh wow. An SJ anime? Hello, new anime to watch!)

5 - Patlabor 2 (X_X dammit old anime!)

4 - Touch (lol he caught me. IDK this anime.)

3 - Neon Genesis Evangelion (Hello, anime I know left and right. This choice is too much of a great thing to ignore. Now, if you let Shinji annoy you, then you have no business watching this show.)

2 - Millennium Actress (Why, oh WHY have I not seen this movie?)

1 - Only Yesterday (-_- Takahara, i'm coming for you. Right now.)

Zac:
10 - Baccano! (DRRR is 10X better. Just sayin')

9 - Porco Russo (I might see it)

8 - Interstellar 5555 (Oh wow. The music? Brilliant. The movie? Bleh. It just didn't catch my interest a lot.)

7 - Vision of Escaflowne (Again, I need to check out some of this old anime.)

6 - Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon...Anime hyper I was going to rent this too!)

5 - FMA (holy crap, a popular anime! I do have to agree with this choice though, just because it's a great story, great backgrounds to the characters, and everyone can have a good time with this show.)

4 - FLCL (LOL yes! It's a great show, great character stories, AWESOME music (high five, pillows!) and this anime should be a major classic, even if it's only SIX episodes.)

3 - Neon Genesis Evangelion (Hello, anime I know left and right. This choice is too much of a great thing to ignore. Now, if you let Shinji annoy you, then you have no business watching this show.)

2 - Nausicaa: The Valley Of Wind (Not you too, Zac! You're pulling out an anime I haven't seen?)

1 - Revolutionary Girl Utena (Thank you for telling me the next show/movie i'm gonna watch)
]
[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
unready wrote:

Dude... Double Jeopardy. Confusing that title with the beloved Billy Wilder classic Double Indemnity feels... I dunno, sacrilegious somehow.

Wow. It's so late, no one will probably read this, but, you know, I know that stuff. Thinking about Double Jeopardy must have made my brain malfunction. Sorry.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I respect Zac's decision to hate Spidey 3, but his criticism of the end is ridiculous. spoiler[Sandman did not kill Unlcle Ben on purpose, it was an accident (by being stupid with a gun, but still). So what were Spidey's choices? He could only kill Sandman, which would be major character derailment, or turn him over to the police, which would only work if Sandman allowed it. Might as well let Sandman choose, he can go to jail or just live his life free in atonement. Spidey can only force something here by killing Sandman, which once again would be BS.]

As for Venom being a crap character, well I consider the vast majority of his story in the comics to be crap, so no surprise there. As for the "emo dance", sorry, it's freakin' PETER trying to dance. Were you expecting actual skill to be displayed?

If there's a #3 of this decade that pissed all over the source material and the two movies it followed, X-men 3 is the king IMHO. spoiler[Cyclops.......you know, Wolverine cries way too much, Dark Phoenix is a freakin' mental disorder, Magneto's character felt like it was being written by two disagreeing writers, Pyro's character became flat, where the heck was Nightcrawler, the ending makes most of the movie pointless, 6 X-men are in the last battle and STILL no teamwork (Spider-man 3 had more teamwork, and say what you will about Transformers, but at least Bay gets that a team of heroes should fight together!), Angel had no point and simply ate up screentime, etc.. Thank you, Ratner, for your wonderful contribution to the X-men story! Mad ] Xavier's limited screentime and Beast were the only good parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7