• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey to Continue Publishing xxxHOLiC, Other Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So with this [xxxHolic] staying under the Del Ray label, fans know that the volumes coming out (which I think they're up to Volume 18 in Japan?) we'll still get the same quality release that we've had with the previous volumes.

Yes and no. Del Rey dropped the quality of xxxHolic's release in the last volume compared to the rest of the series by not including the glossy color page insert I've come to expect with its first editions.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So with this [xxxHolic] staying under the Del Ray label, fans know that the volumes coming out (which I think they're up to Volume 18 in Japan?) we'll still get the same quality release that we've had with the previous volumes.

Yes and no. Del Rey dropped the quality of xxxHolic's release in the last volume compared to the rest of the series by not including the glossy color page insert I've come to expect with its first editions.
I haven't picked up the latest volume (I've only bought 1-8 and 13 so far), so I wouldn't know that yet.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
I still don't get why people are mentioning that Tsubasa is still being published under the Del Rey imprint... Del Rey managed to complete it in November, like the article itself says, and IIRC the original announcement about Del Rey folding said that all the titles already published would stay in print, so uh, duh?

I'd say that it means that they'll continue to print the already published volumes.

As for the original announcement, it wasn't particularly clear on what was going to happen to titles before Kodansha picked them up (or if Kodansha never picked them up). And since nothing from Del Rey was scheduled for release in 2011 after that announcement, it definitely made it look like all titles were either being picked up by Kodansha or outright dropped. So, until Kodansha announces that they're picking up a title or Del Rey announces that it's keeping a title, any given title which was being released by Del Rey is effectively in limbo.

Regardless, it looks like the releases for current Del Rey titles are going to be very sparse next year. Kodansha hasn't announced that they've picked up a particular title for very many of Del Rey's titles, and out of those that they have, nothing is coming out until May. And since this announcement is the first time that Del Rey has even said that they're still releasing anything, we have no release dates for the titles that they're keeping.

This whole situation puts a lot of titles in limbo and delays those which are still getting published. It may be a good thing in the long run, but it's definitely problematic in the short term for anyone who's been buying manga from Del Rey. About the only good thing about it at this point that I can see is that I won't have to budget as much for manga in the first half of 2011. It looks like things may be fine in the long run, but for now, we'll just have to wait and see. At least we now know that XXXHolic will continue and that Tsubasa will continue to be available for those who haven't gotten it all yet.
momomochi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
I hope they continue with Aventura..I know it's not a very popular manga but least then I'll get a translation instead of having to squint at the tiny hiragana and katakana characters in the Japanese manga.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering how long Ro is actually going to be, considering that Tsubasa has ended and Holic is starting to catch up with the Japanese release. Ro flash forwarded a few years at a critical point, and all that really still needs to be addressed as far as I can see is what Domeki is going to do with the egg and how Watanuki's predicament is going to end (which may or may not be well as CLAMP notoriously isn't always kind or fair to it's characters). At any rate Tsubasa is mentioned in the article as well, so the publications will obviously also include reprints.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Great to know that Del Rey will still be publishing xxxHolic Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2