• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Rise Above

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Too bad about Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. I bought a PS2 just to play it. Would've been nice if the other PS2 games in the series were released in English.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Just been reminded of the stack of PS2 games I need to play and finish...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to Tales of Xilla. I really like the Tales series but I've only actually played a couple of em because they're all so similar. I'm very excited to get something a little bit more unusual.

It's great to see Resonance of Fate get some credit. It has major major problems but it's also sporting easily the freshest, most unique and enjoyable game play of a current gen RPG.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Hmph. Just clean it up already and give Tales of Graces for the Wii, Namco Bandai! Actually, bring the rest of the games as well...

Anyway, I had fun playing Sakura Wars on the Wii, annoying system lock-ups aside. And I'd say the Laura Bailey presence is extreme, as she voices two characters, so to speak...
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
The Final Fantasy MMORPGs should never have been numbered, bleh. As much as I enjoy playing FF11 it doesn't deserve a number... It should have been labled FF Online. I mean, if has a number then Final Fantasy Tactics needs to have a number. (end rant...for now).

OOOOH~ new Tales game on PS3~ Too bad Tales games always get on pause from me, otherwise I'd import. ...Never know when we'll get one of those over here... *sadface* ...I want Tales of Graces, though... I'm pending on that... to see if I will import it or not. ....They probably won't give us Graces now, though, since this is announced.... Graces gave them too much problems... Gha, I'll just import the PS3 version of Graces next spring if we don't get announcement then.

...I still want to play Resonace of Fate... Poor... and too addicted to Itadaki Street Special...
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Ugh. Just been reminded of the stack of PS2 games I need to play and finish...
I feel your pain. I have a 360, PS3 and PSP but somehow it my PS2 collection that continues to grow the fastest(just order SMT Nocturnal and Digital Devil 1&2).

Both Nier and RoF were entertaining despite having noticeable flaws. RoF is probably the best RPG I played this year. The battle system really drove that game for me. The structuring of the acts was a bit of a problem, and some of the characters could have been developed more, but it was still great fun.

Of coarse I'm looking forward to the new Tales of game, if it comes here(someone had to say it) but after this recent string of flops from Namco (Enslaved, Majin and Splatterhouse) I wonder what kind of shape they're in. Majin has sold less then 30k units and I got my copy for just $22 a week after release, something is just wrong with that.

I wanted to love Sakura Wars, but after ten hours I realized it was more about the sim and dialog part rather than the battle and RPG grinding that I'm use to. I ended up dropping it but I'll restart it next year. Now that I know what I'll be getting into I won't be surprised and disappointed by the structure of the game.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Square, showing the acuity that's made the company what it is today, punished the wrong people. Producer Hiromichi Tanaka, who's worked on Square games up through Secret of Mana and Xenogears, stepped down as the main producer of Final Fantasy XIV, even though he's probably the company's best hope for fixing the game.

Some would argue, and for good reason, that Tanaka was everything that's wrong with FFXIV. The guy was just being a stubborn old man during the production and was more interested in his own vision than what the players actually wanted.

Here's a quote:

Tanaka interview with Eurogamer, November 11, 2010 wrote:
We received a lot of feedback from the beta tests. The development team should have focused on shaping up the game during the beta process, but because we were really concentrating on de-bugging the game – fixing all the bugs – that’s one of the reasons why we were not able to have all the requests implemented during the beta process.
That’s why we do understand the reaction from the players, now the game’s out. Therefore, the development team is working really hard to bring it back to the level we planned to have ready for the players.

Basically he was more interested in releasing an unfinished game on time (even though it was seriously behind schedule) rather than release a finished game late. And it STILL doesn't feel finished, we only just got our first major update fixing major issues in November, two months after its release, with two more major updates this month, when maybe they should have just waited to release the more "finished" game in December. I've been playing since the start of alpha testing and I still feel like I'm playing the beta.

The player base has plummeted sharply, when I first played the server I'm on would have over 2K players at any time, but in November (before they removed the ability to see how many people are on the server to save face) there was only 600-700 people on at any given time. Loosing around 2/3 of your player base 2 months after release is a clear sign that Tanaka is way too out of touch with what players want today.

BTW, SE has yet to make a cent off of subscriptions, they extended the free trial period twice and now it's on hold "indefinitely".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Some would argue, and for good reason, that Tanaka was everything that's wrong with FFXIV. The guy was just being a stubborn old man during the production and was more interested in his own vision than what the players actually wanted.

Pretty much this. The newer director may be inexperienced comparatively, but I actually expect that to work out better. With any hope, that will make him more flexible towards the player-base, less set in his ways, and probably even more ambitious.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the one who has to do it, and show how much time I spent playing the game...
Todd wrote:
"Left to right: Weiss, Kaine, and SLAB BULKHEAD."

The one on the left is actually Emil, circa shortly after the beginning of Part 2. Weiss, the book, is not shown on the cover.

And I'm really sad for Cavia. I must have been one of a handful of fans. Aside from Bullet Witch, which was just a terrible game that seemed like a freshman project, I loved Drakengard and liked the sequel, and thought Nier was awesome, once I figured out how to fish. I wonder if we'll ever see another game from them... Anime cry
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is a Excellent choice for the number one spot..its easily one of the most underrated and overlooked games of the last few years for any console..I really wish more games like Sin and Punishment would be released on the Wii here in America..I'm dying to sink my teeth into another game that is similar to this..hopefully something interesting will be released on the Wii in 2011..so far nothing to grand from what I've seen.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
I bought Sakura Wars: So Long my Love last week, and have started playing it. I can see why some people would avoid it, it's not for the average video game player.

Now that I know the X-men arcade game is coming out this week on Xbox live, I'm so going to get it once I get paid on Friday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
My 360's wireless is out right now, thanks to the new comcast. That or the adapter itself, i don't know. Have to give X-Men another time.

Still have Sakura Wars game, only finished first chapter. Need to get back in someday.

Not sure if I want to try out Blast Hardcheese. It's said to be a (evidently loose) sequel to Drakengard, and I didn't enjoy that unlike everyone else apparently did. (it's just flying around shooting random groundhogs or swinging your sword inside hard-to-fit-dragon places, and a short time limit so you can't even enjoy it!) But aside, I might give Tank Concrete a shot.
redcar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
I wish all games had a Laura Bailey level greater than zero Very Happy
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Slight, nitpicky correction: the last game Hiromichi Tanaka worked on before Final Fantasy XI was actually Chrono Cross, which incidentally was just announced for PSN... in Japan.

Also, I think I found Laura Bailey under my bed once. Or maybe that was a mouse. Either way, it sorta freaked me out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I guess I'm the one who has to do it, and show how much time I spent playing the game...
Todd wrote:
"Left to right: Weiss, Kaine, and SLAB BULKHEAD."

The one on the left is actually Emil, circa shortly after the beginning of Part 2. Weiss, the book, is not shown on the cover.

And I'm really sad for Cavia. I must have been one of a handful of fans. Aside from Bullet Witch, which was just a terrible game that seemed like a freshman project, I loved Drakengard and liked the sequel, and thought Nier was awesome, once I figured out how to fish. I wonder if we'll ever see another game from them... Anime cry

It really pained me when Mistwalker decided to cancel development of Cry On, a game that they were having Cavia work on. The point of the game was to make the player cry at least every fifteen minutes.

They've since been absorbed into another game company, and probably won't make anymore games for a while.

On another note, Nier (specifically Nier Replicant) actually sold well in Japan and had a high level of user satisfaction with the game. We may get another game out of Cavia just yet....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3