• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Rise Above

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Now if we can just get the Simpsons and Alien VS Predator arcade games. I'd be a happy gamer.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hah! Fragile Dreams, the most depressingly emo game I have ever played. It was decent though, but god, lighten the tone.

Good/Bad news on Xillia, good that it's coming out, bad that I'm going to have to import it. The lack of a 360 port pretty much eliminates any chance of a US release, lets face it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought Nier did pretty well compared to other J-RPGs Square Enix released on the home consoles, mainly Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant and Star Ocean IV. Resonance of Fate and Fragile Dreams are both surprisingly awesome (and the latter is really one of the only Wii games I liked aside No More Heroes and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom). It's nice that Sega can still make some really awesome J-RPG series, now if they could only do something with Skies of Arcadia, like a sequel or remake...

As for the X-Men arcade game, I used to play that maniacally with my friends at the local roller rink as a kid. We'd collect token coupons and each have a specific character to play as, but every night they'd unplug all the games so our high scores would be erased. I'd say it's definitely worth purchasing.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I bought Sakura Wars for the Wii on Black Friday and my son and I both love it! I am on Episode 8 and will probably re-play it when I finish. Of course, I would love to see actual dating sims brought over and released in the US, in addition to the rest of the Sakura Wars line-up and the new web game...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Time Killers: I heard this game was pretty gruesome since you could take off your opponent's arms and continue fighting them that way.

Quote:
In news of Final Fantasy games that people actually like, Square's porting Final Fantasy IV to yet another system.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Online FF RPGs are a colossal waste of time and effort. I'm a bit irked they decided to report FF4 yet again and add the After Years with it (I downloaded all the episodes weeks ago).

MvC3: I still want to see Blanka in a MvC.

Irem games: Dragon Breed was an awesome game, made for a dragon nut like me...and they forgot DinoCity. Now that was one of Irem's best creations. Surprised they didn't port that one.

Tales of Xillia: Terrific, another awesome Tales game we won't get. I'm surprised that both Fujishima and Inomata worked together on this one. Meanwhile, we still want Innocence, Vesperia PS3, Graces, Graces F, Hearts, RM2 and RM3 -_-

Fragile Dreams: I've been curious to try this, and from what I've seen on YouTube it looks like a decent game.

Nier: I heard that about half of the gaming crowd did enjoy Nier, but you're right; 50% pretty much means no one paid attention to it.

Resonance of Fate: Truth be told, I think the problem with tri-Ace lies in people actually caring about the next Valkyrie Profile since Star Ocean is officially over and Undiscovery was a poor debacle. I still have yet to play this, and once I get a PS3 I will add it. Silmeria's battle system was fun to master and this game steps that up. I'm surprised not many got into this one.

Sin & Punishment: I own this one. Pretty fun shooter game, though I haven't finished it yet. I'm pretty sure people who did play it didn't play it for the plot or character designs. It's all about challenge and max rankings.

X-Men Arcade: Hey now Dazzler is pretty awesome. Don't diss the energy blasts baby!

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I bought Sakura Wars for the Wii on Black Friday and my son and I both love it! I am on Episode 8 and will probably re-play it when I finish. Of course, I would love to see actual dating sims brought over and released in the US, in addition to the rest of the Sakura Wars line-up and the new web game...

Despite the high Euro prices, you can go to MangaGamer.com for some dating sims of the eroge and all-ages kind.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
It's nice that Sega can still make some really awesome J-RPG series, now if they could only do something with Skies of Arcadia, like a sequel or remake...

10-15 years from now Skies of Arcadia will probably re-released in a "yellow-ray" bundle along with 24 other Sega games for the low price of $10. Then all the people who paid $70+ for the DC or GC versions will go, "Damn! If only I had waited another decade..."

Phantasy Star IV for $100 when it was first released for Genesis. Later re-released for $20 on the PS2/PS3 (along with 20 or so other Genesis games, many of them equally great, just to rub it in). Crying or Very sad

Chrono Trigger, that's another game I paid $90 for when it was first released new on the SNES. Later got it again for only $10 for the PS1 (couldn't help it, I wanted FF IV).

Still, cartridge versions play better so those 80 extra dollars are worth it! Right? RIGHT? Laughing

Last edited by bravetailor on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I got my GC Skies of Arcadia for like $20, I realize that SoA rocks, but does it really go for that much now?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I got my GC Skies of Arcadia for like $20, I realize that SoA rocks, but does it really go for that much now?

Yah, it's very rare now. I saw it for $20 just 3 years ago, now good luck getting it for cheaper than $50. DC version probably goes for $100 or more.

I also got burned on Suikoden 2. I saw it for $20 back in 2005-ish but didn't get it. A year later it was selling for $100 used in the same store.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
In news of Final Fantasy games that people actually like, Square's porting Final Fantasy IV to yet another system.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Online FF RPGs are a colossal waste of time and effort. I'm a bit irked they decided to report FF4 yet again and add the After Years with it (I downloaded all the episodes weeks ago).

I always thought it was pretty obvious After Years was going to be ported eventually.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Dang, thought I saw something that the sales for Sakura Wars were better than expected for a PS2 game in this day and age. Guess not as good as they had hoped though.

Loved the game, like someone else, bought a PS2 just to play it. Really loved the extreme Laura Bailey factor. Yeah, it is super tame and cheesy, but that does not preclude a fun story and game.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Random nitpicky correction #2: That is Storm's current costume. What's old is new again!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This is the second time today that a gaming site has mentioned Nier as a title that is worth playing, but was overlooked thanks to relatively little marketing and the large number of bigger games.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
It's nice that Sega can still make some really awesome J-RPG series, now if they could only do something with Skies of Arcadia, like a sequel or remake...

Too bad Sega didn't actually make the game. Tri Ace did (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc). They just published it. The only one they still do is Phantasy Star, by the looks of things. Oh, and Yakuza (is it considered an RPG?)

bravetailor wrote:

10-15 years from now Skies of Arcadia will probably re-released in a "yellow-ray" bundle along with 24 other Sega games for the low price of $10. Then all the people who paid $70+ for the DC or GC versions will go, "Damn! If only I had waited another decade..."

But they ARE making a Dreamcast collection next year! No idea what will be on it though...

Last edited by Sheleigha on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Time Killers: I heard this game was pretty gruesome since you could take off your opponent's arms and continue fighting them that way.

Actually if you're quick enough, you can decapitate your opponent immediately at the start of the round. Yeah, the game is a mess.

And yet I couldn't get enough of it when I was 15.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3