• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys "Manga"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Erufu wrote:

4. flip it backwards so that all the execs can't figure out how to read them
5. put them on bookshelves where they will automatically sell because kids will see they open up the opposite of how they are supposed to and say, "Oh, cool! I have to have this!"

Well, I couldn't help myself. Basically, all they are doing is making graphic novels, which Americans have done before, and flipping them around so they will "blend in" with the popular manga.

There's no flipping involved. That would be just stupid.
They trying to "emulate" Wink the manga art style, not the packaging.

One of the most known features of manga is the fact that they are read the opposite of American books. If they are going to "emulate" the art style, they might as well "emulate" the packaging. I wonder if they are going to go all b&w and say that's how manga is done when really they just wanted to save money from color printing...
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
One of the most known features of manga is the fact that they are read the opposite of American books. If they are going to "emulate" the art style, they might as well "emulate" the packaging. I wonder if they are going to go all b&w and say that's how manga is done when really they just wanted to save money from color printing...

Um, one of the known features of Japanese books (whether it be manga, novels, textbooks), is that it reads from right to left, back to front. Does that mean then that we can't translate Japanese novels because you would have to emulate the physical form that they are written on? Or, the Japanese cannot translate Western novels because it would have to be published left to right, front to back?

The art style is not dependent on the form that it's printed on. There are manga that go left to right (and I mean manga done by Japanese creators.) The form is what is natural for the culture that is imbibing it. If I was doing manga styled art for a story for consumption by a Western audience I would do it in a form that would be natural to the audience, ie., left to right, front to back.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2