Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fake Nominated for ALA Award




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Angel Of Death



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Posts: 176
Location: Harper Woods, MI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. What a surprise. A pleasant one at that. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Erufu



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Does anybody else find that news bit sounding almost fake? It surprises me that the ALA has a category like that, but, then again, they are ususally the ones that fight against book bans, or atleast I think they are.

Anyway, this is great news.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kinggalaxia



Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 3
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
I see Only the Ring Finger Knows and Desire is there as well. WOOT for yaoi!! Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
foxs_alterego



Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
This makes me happy - Fake isn't exactly a perfect depiction of what it's like to be homosexual (especially as a cop) but it's a good story. Hope the ALA updates the list more often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AyumiHamasaki



Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
That's great! I have got all the volumes for FAKE and i totally loved it. Even my bro likes the action in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel Of Death



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Posts: 176
Location: Harper Woods, MI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
kinggalaxia wrote:
I see Only the Ring Finger Knows and Desire is there as well. WOOT for yaoi!! Anime smile

WOOT indeed. Very deserving for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Isaaru



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Location: the oppressed colonies in outer space
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
i am just glad that libraries in general are paying more attention to manga. I just find it uncomfortable in the librariess i visit, I have to go to the "teen" section to find manga no matter what age its geared to. I feel like some kinda freak since I am obviously older.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erufu



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
i am just glad that libraries in general are paying more attention to manga. I just find it uncomfortable in the librariess i visit, I have to go to the "teen" section to find manga no matter what age its geared to. I feel like some kinda freak since I am obviously older.


Well, how do you think I felt when I checked out Harry Potter in my college library and the librarian told me that I could only have it for 4 days because it was in the "juvenile" section?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Isaaru



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Location: the oppressed colonies in outer space
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Isaaru wrote:
i am just glad that libraries in general are paying more attention to manga. I just find it uncomfortable in the librariess i visit, I have to go to the "teen" section to find manga no matter what age its geared to. I feel like some kinda freak since I am obviously older.


Well, how do you think I felt when I checked out Harry Potter in my college library and the librarian told me that I could only have it for 4 days because it was in the "juvenile" section?


that sucks.

in public libraries, i don't understand why sunday paper stuff like Garfeild, and Calvin and Hobbes are usually in the adult non fiction section.

so...is Fake a good read? or was it picked becuase it "raises awareness" in a good light? IDo I have to be into yaoi to enjoy it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jadress



Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Posts: 806
Location: Seattle. It purdy and nerdy!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru, I really enjoyed Fake, and I'm not really into yaoi stuff and it's a pretty clean story for the most part. The characters are a lot of fun (I especially love Bikky), have good chemistry, and the stories are entertaining as cop/crime type stories. The relationship stuff is good too, but most of all, I really liked the author's sense of humor.. some scenes had me laughing. ^^

My only complaint was that it could've gone on for longer, and the ending was.. well.. it catered to the kind of fan that I wasn't. But all in all, I'd really recommend it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group