• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Concept Art

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I knew about the movie for at least two years, only that for some reason, it is now on hold.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Funny that this was just posted, as I just came across this earlier today when I was checking out the Howl's trailer. I'd like to hear opinions on the art.

Personally, I think the art is good, as in, those are some kick-ass pictures, but as far as interpreting the story of Eva.. ehh.. I don't know. I think one of the coolest parts of Eva was that the robots were not spoiler[outwardly organic in appearance] and their true nature was slowly revealed. I particularly don't buy the pic of Eva 00 with it's mouth hanging open like a beast. Unit 02 looks the best, but maybe I just think that because it looks the most unchanged, and I like the plug suit designs, though they sure made up some ugly figures to go in those suits.

Anyway, I kind of don't want this movie to happen in the first place, and it's not because I'm a Hollywood hating nay-sayer or anything like that, but a 2 hour movie will never be able to do justice/hold a candle to the developement of a great 24-ep TV series, and seeing as the property is a risky investment for a producer, there probably wouldn't be a trilogy or sequels planned out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Weta Workshop is also the same company who did the Lord of the Ring series, so it ought to be good (Even though I've never seen any of the LoTR movies)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

Anyway, I kind of don't want this movie to happen in the first place, and it's not because I'm a Hollywood hating nay-sayer or anything like that, but a 2 hour movie will never be able to do justice/hold a candle to the developement of a great 24-ep TV series, and seeing as the property is a risky investment for a producer, there probably wouldn't be a trilogy or sequels planned out.

Yeah, according to Matt Greenfield, the script their current plans encompass roughly the first third of the series.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
At least we get to see what the character will look like. Gotta love those plug suits.

I'm not that familiar with the series, but from what I saw I like it. I showed the entire VHS series at my college anime club.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Weta Workshop is also the same company who did the Lord of the Ring series, so it ought to be good (Even though I've never seen any of the LoTR movies)

Well, it may not be good, but at least the costumes, props, and the cg will be pretty sweet. It's up to the director, writers, and cast to make it good. It's in the latter two that I have serious doubts about.

I'll still probably go see this just to see how well Weta did with what it was given.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Personally, I think the art is good, as in, those are some kick-ass pictures, but as far as interpreting the story of Eva.. ehh.. I don't know. I think one of the coolest parts of Eva was that the robots were not spoiler[outwardly organic in appearance] and their true nature was slowly revealed.

I don't know... I mean, we got to see spoiler[Unit 01's organic head--even its eyeball moving around] by episode two in the series. I think their true nature is revealed pretty quickly. Besides, some of the more disturbing concept art may be for later scenes in the film. I'm stoked at how pretty everything looks; the drawing of the EVA hanger is to die for!

Jadress wrote:
and I like the plug suit designs, though they sure made up some ugly figures to go in those suits.

^^; Well, the faces aren't anything to get excited about, but I actually don't have a problem with the figures. I mean, these suits are going to be designed for real people with real proportions. If they found an actress who could fit into this, I'd be more disgusted than anything else, I think.

I have mixed feelings about this project. One part of me, the part that got excited after seeing those drawings, wants this film to happen as soon as possible and be awesome. Another part of me (the realistic part) fears that this will be an unsuccessful transition and ultimate failure. I guess it'll be best to wait and see what happens before jumping to any conclusions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
The character designs make me think Evangelion if it were designed by one of those hacks at IMAGE. Oh, and I guess Asuka's being played by Ann Margret(Don't ask. I'm old!), while Rei's being played by Rachel Leigh Cook.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Remember these are just concept drawings, as in "it's all subject to change without notice". Nice as concepts though. I too found the models for the girls a bit distracting but one has to except that this will not be a carbon copy of the anime. As to why it's being put on hold, I suspect it's a financial delay. I wouldn't want to be the screen writer for the last third of it though. Rolling Eyes
Soma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
These images aren't new. They've been floating around the internet since January of last year.

But yeah, I think the character sketches look god awful but the tokyo 3 and the eva's look cool.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="Cloe"]I don't know... I mean, we got to see spoiler[Unit 01's organic head--even its eyeball moving around] by episode two in the series. I think their true nature is revealed pretty quickly. Besides, some of the more disturbing concept art may be for later scenes in the film. I'm stoked at how pretty everything looks; the drawing of the EVA hanger is to die for!

I suppose you're right there, it's been a while since I've watched the series. I guess I am still a sucker for the original robot designs. But yes, the hanger and pretty much all of the environment concepts are awesome.

Quote:
Jadress wrote:
and I like the plug suit designs, though they sure made up some ugly figures to go in those suits.

^^; Well, the faces aren't anything to get excited about, but I actually don't have a problem with the figures. I mean, these suits are going to be designed for real people with real proportions. If they found an actress who could fit into this, I'd be more disgusted than anything else, I think.

No complaints here, I know they'll draw the actresses when they have them, but the made up faces are just hideous.. doesn't have anything to do with the final project really, just commenting on the art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
The mecha-design is good (eva, tokyo, nerv...) but the chara-design is awful : rei & asuka are too old and rei's hairs aren't blue, lol. Have they seen Eva ? Laughing
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Remember Peter Jackson was interested in directing, but he could not because he was stuck with King Kong? Anybody think they might be putting it on hold until thats over?
I know its a slim chance...but well, its a chance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
Soma: Well some of them are old, but there are some which are new.

Crimson: No chance of PJ being involved. We're stuck with James "I'm King of the World" Cameron as soon as he's done with GunM-assuming those AICN people are right.
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Crimson: No chance of PJ being involved. We're stuck with James "I'm King of the World" Cameron as soon as he's done with GunM-assuming those AICN people are right.

The reason that was said was because PJ was stuck with King Kong. With the film now on hold, a budget approaching that of LOTR, same studio, and the fact that PJ has said he is interested in directing... Who knows?
It really really unlikely, but, miracles happen. Sometimes. If he directed the spoiler[SEELE attack on NERV HQ] it would rock
I bet they mess up Rei so bad. Make her into some slipery japanese school girl and put some really bad Shinji-Rei love story.
I will personnaly hunt them down if they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4