• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Them wacky Academy members

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I know what everybody's thinking. "BLARGH NO ANIME WHAT IS UP WITH THAT THE ACADEMY IS A BUNCH OF MALADROIT WANGMUNCHERS WHO MUST BE BOUND AND GAGGED AND THROWN OFF OF A TALL BRIDGE."

But really... Why the hell did Waking Life get thrown out for JIMMY NUETRON?!? Waking Life was considered eligeble and everything. And it was a Mirimax film! They throw EVERYTHING at the faces of Academy voters!

And thus, the Oscars' stigma of a glorified popularity contest continues...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:27 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

I know what everybody's thinking. "BLARGH NO ANIME WHAT IS UP WITH THAT THE ACADEMY IS A BUNCH OF MALADROIT WANGMUNCHERS WHO MUST BE BOUND AND GAGGED AND THROWN OFF OF A TALL BRIDGE."

Not really, I don't think Blood deserved to be nominated, especially if there are only three berths. Jin-Roh perhaps, but, as we all remember, that didn't make the short list because of eligibility problems. I wouldn't call Shrek a POS, but it was certainly overrated; a seven minute Jay Ward Fractured Fairy Tale extended to 90 minues padded with too many in-jokes, cheap shots at Disney, and overplayed pop songs by bands that rhyme with "Crashmouth". I'm rooting for Monsters Inc., myself, but, as no anime were nominated, as my favourite film, by far, of 2001 The Royal Tenenbaums was completely shut out in every category except Best Original Screenplay, as Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings is also ridiculously overrated (it wasn't bad, but I have no desire to see it again), and, most egregiously, as Über-Hollywood Liberal Whoopi "Republicans are stupid. I hate Republicans." Goldberg is the host (why can't David Letterman be the host again; I loved him as host? Or Billy Crystal? Or Steve Martin? Or anyone else?), I can happily do something else that night without feeling that I missed anything worth watching.

LordByronius wrote:
But really... Why the hell did Waking Life get thrown out for JIMMY NUETRON?!? Waking Life was considered eligeble and everything. And it was a Mirimax film! They throw EVERYTHING at the faces of Academy voters!

And thus, the Oscars' stigma of a glorified popularity contest continues...

Not that I wanted to see Waking Life nominated either (just a rotoscoped version of Slackers, and I find rotoscoped animation, at least for faces, ugly), but, yeah, Jimmy Neutron, WTF? I liked it the first time, when it was called Dexter's Laboratory and was much funnier. I thought Atlantis (love the DVD) was underrated, but Disney didn't even submit it, so discussing it is moot. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within perhaps should have been the third nominee, if just for technical brilliance. It's a shame that no cel animation got nominated this year. (I'm studying computer animation, yet I still far prefer cel animation. But computer animation is where the big bucks are these days.)

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I wouldn't call Shrek a POS...

I should clarify; it's not that Lord Byronius called Shrek a POS (he didn't), just I've seen Shrek called a POS elsewhere (mostly in a place that rhymes with "Baintitcool.com"). It was an enjoyable enough way to kill 90 minutes on a lazy spring afternoon, but it wasn't, by any standards, my favourite animated film of 2001.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Im pretty sure that Vampire Hunter D was the ONLY anime eligible to be nominated for an award. I myself enjoyed that movie better then any of the other nominees, especially Jimmy Neutron. CURSE YOU KLASKY CSUPO!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Vertigo1 wrote:

Im pretty sure that Vampire Hunter D was the ONLY anime eligible to be nominated for an award.

Oh yeah, you're right. I get Vampire Hunter D and Blood confused very easily. Not a big vampire anime fan myself.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Not that I wanted to see Waking Life nominated either (just a rotoscoped version of Slackers, and I find rotoscoped animation, at least for faces, ugly), but, yeah, Jimmy Neutron, WTF? I liked it the first time, when it was called Dexter's Laboratory and was much funnier. I thought Atlantis (love the DVD) was underrated, but Disney didn't even submit it, so discussing it is moot. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within perhaps should have been the third nominee, if just for technical brilliance. It's a shame that no cel animation got nominated this year. (I'm studying computer animation, yet I still far prefer cel animation. But computer animation is where the big bucks are these days.)

Um. Maybe some of us *liked* Slackers? And mainly I found it surprising that Mirimax didn't flash that damn movie all over the Academy's face like they do with everything else.

As for "computer animation is the big bucks," well, the animation industry hasn't really changed much as I see it. I mean, sure, big companies with big films (Atlantis, Final Fantasy) are posting big losses, another animation bigwig closes down (last year Fox shut down, this year Square), several other small animation studios start up and shut down within 6 months, smart independant animators like Don Hertzfeldt and Bill Plympton tour the festivals, and lots of tiny, small studios are able to keep themselves afloat by whoring themselves out with TV commercials and the occasional toy-related TV show. Just because the big animated films of the year are CGI doesn't mean 2D is in this big slump or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:26 pm Reply with quote
It was released by Fox Searchlight Productions, not Miramax, which pretty much explains everything. Fox is falling apart under Murdoch.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Vertigo1 wrote:

Im pretty sure that Vampire Hunter D was the ONLY anime eligible to be nominated for an award. I myself enjoyed that movie better then any of the other nominees, especially Jimmy Neutron. CURSE YOU KLASKY CSUPO!

There was a 2nd anime movie eligible... "Prince of the Sun". It was a Japan/India co-production, IIRC. A retelling of the story of Buddah, IIRC..

... and that's pretty much all I know about it. :/ Heck, offhand I don't even know which production studio made it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It was released by Fox Searchlight Productions, not Miramax, which pretty much explains everything. Fox is falling apart under Murdoch.

Uh, yeah, that's it. That's what I meant. Heh, heh heh, heh, heh. *dies of embarrassment*
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

There was a 2nd anime movie eligible... "Prince of the Sun". It was a Japan/India co-production, IIRC. A retelling of the story of Buddah, IIRC..

Nope, that was excluded on a technicality. DAMN YOU RULE STICKLER ACADEMY!!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 9:56 am Reply with quote
I think I'm the lone voice of dissent here, but with the exception of "Jin-Roh", very few anime films reach the kind of quality the Academy associates with something that's worthy of an Oscar. Don't root for it just because it's Japanese; root for the best film. Personally I think Monsters, Inc. should win. Granted, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius isn't exactly Oscar material either...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I think I'm the lone voice of dissent here, but with the exception of "Jin-Roh", very few anime films reach the kind of quality the Academy associates with something that's worthy of an Oscar.

No, you're not the only dissenter here; I don't expect nor do I want anime films to be nominated just for the sake of nominating anime either. The members of the Academy, in general, aren't anime fans per se, so they should put all animation on an equal footing, regardless of origin. I don't know why Jimmy Neutron got nominated though; maybe it's just because more members of whichever Academy body decides which films get nominated (and I plead ignorance in knowing exactly how the list of films eligible gets whittled down to 3) saw it than some of the others.

Zac wrote:

Don't root for it just because it's Japanese; root for the best film. Personally I think Monsters, Inc. should win. Granted, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius isn't exactly Oscar material either...

Definitely agree with you on Monsters, Inc. I didn't like it as much as the Toy Story films the first time I watched it, but it grew on me with multiple viewings. I thought the portrayal of Boo was a very accurate and not sugar-coated representation of how two-year old girls act and babble.

Maybe next year Spirited Away will at least get nominated, but whether it will have an acutal chance at winning should it actually be nominated will depend largely on how weak the American competition is as well as how many of the Academy members outside of the major metropolitan centres actually get to see it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I think I'm the lone voice of dissent here, but with the exception of "Jin-Roh", very few anime films reach the kind of quality the Academy associates with something that's worthy of an Oscar.

Worth mentionning that I agree with Zac here. Vampire Hunter D and Blood were decent Anime in their own ways, but they weren't Oscar material.

Jin-Roh was, and it's a damn shame that it was excluded on a technicality.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how Shrek IS Oscar material! I mean all it is is a bunch of stupid fart jokes. Sorry, but the Academy's made enough stupid mistakes without screwing anime over. Like the Critic said-at Shockwave.com-"Ah, Citizen Kane, E.T. and Raging Bull! Who could forget them? The Oscars, that's who! They ALL lost!"
Ole Goatweed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:30 am Reply with quote
Heh, them darned frenchies- first they ruin Jin-Roh's chance to get into the Oscars, now one of their own 2002 olympic judges turns out to be corrupt. I tell ya, it's a bleeding conspiracy going on.... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2