• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Website Update

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
I've seen some of the Kingdom Hearts manga, and I am really not impressed. I understand what it is based off of, but, to me, it looks too much like a video game and reads too much like a video game.
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've read some of the manga too. I'm not sure how I will treat this release. I'll probably buy it out of my love of (and support for) Kingdom Hearts, but I will have to hope that it gets better in later volumes. I think there are four volumes out now, and the story is only half-way done, but I'd don't really remember since I haven't looked for a while.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not worried how people will treat these releases. I'm worried how Tokyopop will treat these releases.

Expect Sora and Dante to spew honorifics at a terrifying pace, and for 95% of all references to their games to be mind-crunchingly mangled out of comprehensibility.

...Tokyopop's translators have not touched a game controller since Pong was in vogue.

Which reminds me. Viz mangled one of Watsuki's references to "Virtual On" in Rurouni Kenshin volume 14. I should let them know what I think...>8D
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Which reminds me. Viz mangled one of Watsuki's references to "Virtual On" in Rurouni Kenshin volume 14. I should let them know what I think...>8D
So, what was it supposed to be?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

I haven't got that volume yet, but Virtual On in Kenshin? Doesn't really belong there...
Rivkah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know Tokyopop had put "Steady Beat" up on their website already. Albeit, that that was still a pretty small mention, but feel free to check out more on the book at the website: http://www.rivkah.com/aboutsteadybeat.htm and updates with sneak peaks on livejournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilrivkah/
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Rivkah wrote:
I didn't even know Tokyopop had put "Steady Beat" up on their website already. Albeit, that that was still a pretty small mention, but feel free to check out more on the book at the website: http://www.rivkah.com/aboutsteadybeat.htm and updates with sneak peaks on livejournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilrivkah/

Hey, your site says Austin's small! Austin's not small; San Angelo is small. I miss Austin...

Congrats on winning and getting published, by the way. So, how many books is this going to be and is it going to break my account?
Rivkah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:

Hey, your site says Austin's small! Austin's not small; San Angelo is small. I miss Austin...

Congrats on winning and getting published, by the way. So, how many books is this going to be and is it going to break my account?

*lol* I've traveled a lot, and compared to most cities I've been to (NY, Pittsburgh, LA, San Antonio), Austin itself is small . . . though with a lot of sprawl branching out into nearby cities. I guess "medium sized" would be more apropos but . . . "small town" is how I think of my little city because it still has a lot of that atmosphere I remember from when I was little. (:

And thank you! Anime hyper I hope to make Steady Beat into a 9 volume series, but it's currently slated for 3 volumes. It won't be one of those 20+ volume series, though. >_>; Series that go on too long bug me. I'd really like to be able to develop my characters enough for them to feel "real," but not drag on the story so long people loose interest or think it never ends. "Steady Beat" has a definitive ending that I look forward to being able to write.

.. and yes, San Angelo *is* really small! *lol*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1