• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Greatest Censorship Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
I may just be reading it wrong, but are you saying Viz removed the manji from Neji's forehead in their release of the manga or are you saying that Shueisha later went and retroactively removed the manji from the manga in Japan (or is that just referring to One Piece)? If it's the former, you're either wrong or Viz did this recently; my copies of the Viz Naruto graphic novels have the forehead manji in them.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I may just be reading it wrong, but are you saying Viz removed the manji from Neji's forehead in their release of the manga or are you saying that Shueisha later went and retroactively removed the manji from the manga in Japan (or is that just referring to One Piece)? If it's the former, you're either wrong or Viz did this recently; my copies of the Viz Naruto graphic novels have the forehead manji in them.

I think VIZ removed it in the magazine Shonen Jump version, then added it to the manga with a note about what it meant. Memory is a bit fuzzy.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This has kicked loose a memory of the funniest anime censorship moment I've ever seen. I watched the first half of R.O.D the TV on TechTV before getting the whole thing on DVD. There's a scene in episode 12 (IIRC) where a woman exploring a cave system finds that there is a small underground lake surrounding the artifact she's after, so she casually flings off her blouse and jumps into the water to swim to the center, to the obvious discomfort of her male bodyguard.

So, for the close-up shot of her doing the backstroke across the lake, TechTV blurred out her chest. The funny part is that as this shot happens, the woman is chiding the bodyguard for his prudish American attitude.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
This has kicked loose a memory of the funniest anime censorship moment I've ever seen. I watched the first half of R.O.D the TV on TechTV before getting the whole thing on DVD. There's a scene in episode 12 (IIRC) where a woman exploring a cave system finds that there is a small underground lake surrounding the artifact she's after, so she casually flings off her blouse and jumps into the water to swim to the center, to the obvious discomfort of her male bodyguard.

I think Animax Asia cut that scene entirely. They also cut out the sexually suggestive stills with the Japanese opening credit titles. Until I got the DVDs I thought they had used the text-less version of the opening animation for some reason (they usually leave the OP/ED credits in Japanese). At least they used the excellent Geneon dub.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
GVman wrote:

I think VIZ removed it in the magazine Shonen Jump version, then added it to the manga with a note about what it meant. Memory is a bit fuzzy.

Ah. I guess Viz censored stuff more in the magazine than in the graphic novels?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
I love how snarky Jason is in parts of this. Made me laugh Very Happy

Recently started reading Narutaru. When I got to the end of the volumes Dark Horse published I was like "I wonder why they never put out the rest of this?". Then I looked at some fan translations. "Oh. That's why."
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

Yup, there was a pretty good amount of stuff censored in the magazine version that you could get uncut (or at least closer to it) in the actual graphic novels. I guess they figured that the magazine would be one thing, that any kid could get their parents to buy them a subscription to, but actually getting the graphic novels was something the young kids probably weren't gonna do. Or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This is why I prefer to read fiction written by non-human species in their original languages. There's just too many hang-ups with Earth licensing.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
GVman wrote:

Yup, there was a pretty good amount of stuff censored in the magazine version that you could get uncut (or at least closer to it) in the actual graphic novels. I guess they figured that the magazine would be one thing, that any kid could get their parents to buy them a subscription to, but actually getting the graphic novels was something the young kids probably weren't gonna do. Or something.

Huh. I wonder if a lot of the stuff mentioned in the article didn't make it into the graphic novels?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Huh. I wonder if a lot of the stuff mentioned in the article didn't make it into the graphic novels?

For Viz, it's still the case. You would think the ones with a "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" label in the front would be uncensored, but apparently not, as others mentioned earlier with Godchild vol. 4

The series as a whole is still rated "T" by Viz, so maybe that's why, since their other GNs are also censored or edited. I had assumed their M series, all of which comes with the same Parental Advisory sticker as that example, are uncensored... but with Viz, I am not so sure.

Maybe the only way to know if it's uncensored for sure is if they explicitly say so, in their press release or marketing, like with Tenjo Tenge

For other publishers, like Dark Horse (e.g. Blade of the Immortal), Seven Seas (e.g. Vampire Bund), Yen Press, or the DMP imprints, I am not aware of it happening. Interestingly, Dark Horse and Seven Seas don't sully the front covers with warning labels either.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
GVman wrote:

Or even late-night TV anime sometimes still censored while the Bluray/DVDs are uncut too.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

They still censored stuff in the GN's, too.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
In fact, it seems less of a problem with original western content--see Alan Moore, despite getting into "trouble" at schools and libraries as highlighted by CBLDF from time to time. They are a much more resilient to criticism than Viz or Japanese controlled companies who paranoid about reputation, saving face and wrong ideas about sales.

Frankly, I agree. Actually, I think these kinds of fears are usually on the Japanese licensor side, as much as (or more than) American publisher side.

Of course it varies from artist to artist, but the fact that the author of Saint Young Men doesn't want her work to be published in English, because she's worried about offending Christians, is just ridiculous. All she would have to do is watch a single episode of South Park or Family Guy and she'd realize that Americans are much more savage towards Christianity than her manga ever is. Of course it's her own decision, but c'mon.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

I meant the manji was changed in One Piece; sorry for the confusion.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
configspace wrote:
In fact, it seems less of a problem with original western content--see Alan Moore, despite getting into "trouble" at schools and libraries as highlighted by CBLDF from time to time. They are a much more resilient to criticism than Viz or Japanese controlled companies who paranoid about reputation, saving face and wrong ideas about sales.

Frankly, I agree. Actually, I think these kinds of fears are usually on the Japanese licensor side, as much as (or more than) American publisher side.

Of course it varies from artist to artist, but the fact that the author of Saint Young Men doesn't want her work to be published in English, because she's worried about offending Christians, is just ridiculous. All she would have to do is watch a single episode of South Park or Family Guy and she'd realize that Americans are much more savage towards Christianity than her manga ever is. Of course it's her own decision, but c'mon.

Oh yes I agree to a point that VIZ and other companies seem extra ordinarily concerned about religious controversy. Frankly Americans take action more about content relating to sexuality, violence or offensive language. And it's individuals much, much more often than any organized religious group. One of the reasons I love France is that they do publish Saint Young Men among other things and they published Vol. 4 of Godchild intact too.

configspace wrote:
GVman wrote:

Maybe the only way to know if it's uncensored for sure is if they explicitly say so, in their press release or marketing, like with Tenjo Tenge

For other publishers, like Dark Horse (e.g. Blade of the Immortal), Seven Seas (e.g. Vampire Bund), Yen Press, or the DMP imprints, I am not aware of it happening. Interestingly, Dark Horse and Seven Seas don't sully the front covers with warning labels either.

Old examples of M rated series would be Portus. VIZ was nice enough to put a disclaimer about it in the back though. They were doing that for awhile around 2007 but, books without it that were still censored were released too. Nana was a licensing problem apparently and had a disclaimer in it for several volumes. I think VIZ has pretty much had censorship in all of their imprints (SuBLime excluded because that is the Japanese companies again) including the Signature line most recently as I'm aware in 2010 with Bokurano: Ours. Volume 2, but it is rated 16+.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CBV0FWBM6FJM/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1421533898&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books

Darkhorse's examples are pretty much all old at this point as far as I know. Not sure what Kodansha USA was thinking when they re-edited Ghost in the Shell again though.

DMP has lots of examples of 18+ books in their BL imprints like the article pointed out. Their 801 Media line is the only BL one I think they've guaranteed as uncensored when it come to their personal control. I purchase so little manga in English I can't comment about their other lines.
http://www.digitalmanga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=774

Honestly I'm trying to think of an adult company that hasn't had problems with content at one point right now. Apparently in America there is a difference between a mature book and a shelf worthy mature book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9